Blender 2.8

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Blender 2.8

Postby J'Kla » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:15 am

OkThe new Blender 2.8 has been released with an installer.

Now I understand 2.8 does not work with Korman.

Heads up this 2.8 installer kills the 2.79 installation on a dual installation.

Uninstall 2.8 and you can re-install 2.79 (I have a safe copy of the 2.79 installer) and you can install the Korman toolkit.

It was possible to install the trial 2.8 so it may be possible to manually install Blender 2.79 and Korman.

It would be nice to have a Korman install that works with Blender 2.8 (If it does feel free to tell me).

My laptop still has the 2.79b With Korman and the Last 2.8 Beta so for now I won't be installing the 2.8 installer on the laptop.
J'Kla

Re: Blender 2.8

Postby Aloys » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:19 am

Ah well.. guess it's time to take the plunge.. :(

I'm not a fan at all of the new interface; and last I looked I didn't see new features that interested me enough to make the switch. But I guess this is the future for Blender, so.. might as well get on board now.

This is sad, but I guess they want to discourage people to keep using the older version...
Aloys

Postby Sirius » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:03 am

J'Kla wrote:Heads up this 2.8 installer kills the 2.79 installation on a dual installation.

It's possible to use Blender 2.8 without installing it, by clicking the "other versions" button on the download page, then selecting the ZIP instead of the installer. This way you're sure your main install with Korman is still working, but you have access to the 2.8 version too.

Aloys wrote:I'm not a fan at all of the new interface;

Me neither. But at least, SOME of the icons now have colors, and that alone makes it a lot better than it was in the beta IMHO...
Sirius

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:21 am

It would be trivial to have an installer for Blender 2.80; however, this would not be helpful, seeing as Korman neither supports nor works with Blender 2.80, as previously discussed.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Deledrius » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:44 pm

Aloys wrote:

This is sad, but I guess they want to discourage people to keep using the older version...

They're not doing anything like that. This is how the installer always works: it replaces the old version with the new. Your old settings and preferences are still there in a versioned folder, but there is a single install of the program. You can install it to a new location if you want, and have two versions running, and it will use the appropriate preferences for each (mostly).

Sirius' solution is the easiest. It's what I was doing during the beta and RC periods for 2.8. I would recommend using that method to install a static installation of 2.79b that you can keep stable for Korman, and then install 2.8 using the official installer. That way you can keep that one updated with a minimum of fuss going forward, since the 2.79b will likely remain as-is going forward, barring some 2.79c or similar final patch.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Aloys » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:20 am

You might just be right. Come to think of it I never download the installer, only the zip file, because it is smaller..
Aloys

Postby J'Kla » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:22 am

I was aware of all of the above I was just posting as a heads up and considering the Noob situation.

It is the normal noob thing to think the latest version is the best "and look there's a pretty installer for me to use".

I don't have any issues I have the 2.79b with Korman as my primary install on the laptop. With the release candidate of 2.8 as a manual plaything.

On my desktop I have the Installer version of 2.8 for practice where I am doing the heavier 2.8 stuff.
J'Kla

Postby Aloys » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:50 am

Sirius wrote:at least, SOME of the icons now have colors, and that alone makes it a lot better than it was in the beta IMHO...

Nice. That decision to have black and white icons didn't make any sense..

I'll be spending time with that new release over the next couple weeks, can't wait to see what's new.
Aloys

Postby Sirius » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:10 am

J'Kla wrote:I was aware of all of the above I was just posting as a heads up and considering the Noob situation.

Good decision IMHO.

Aloys wrote:Nice. That decision to have black and white icons didn't make any sense..

Well, I can see how it's easier to design or implement. But they justified the choice with "it doesn't bring any information and is just noise". Whoever says this is either the worse UI designer on the planet, or a plain liar covering his lazyness. If color was so unimportant, then we programmers would never have invented syntax highlighting.
I kinda wish each icon had more than one color, but oh well, at least they backed out of the initial stupid decision. That should be enough for me.

However I'd be interested to try out the new PBR viewport when I have time. That thing sounds awesome.
Sirius

Postby Deledrius » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:35 pm

Sirius wrote: But they justified the choice with "it doesn't bring any information and is just noise". Whoever says this is either the worse UI designer on the planet, or a plain liar covering his lazyness. If color was so unimportant, then we programmers would never have invented syntax highlighting.

These weird memetic diseases baffle me. This one in particular has spread through big corporate design decisions in the last few years, and I wish I knew why. I can remember before we had color UI, and how much of a big deal (and leap forward) it was when color was added, and depth too (using drop shadows). And now we're doing some weird misinformed retro throwback design language that eschews both what we're capable of technically as well as what we know about how human eyes work.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Next

Return to Plasma Development