Drizzle 31.1 !

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

Drizzle 31.1 !

Postby Sirius » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:35 pm

Drizzle 31.1 has just been released, and can be downloaded from the Wiki.

This release is only a bugfix to the MOULa conversion, which makes it support the new MOULagain files. Otherwise it's identical to Drizzle31. Note that the MOULa conversion is not needed to play online, and offline you can use Drizzle32 if you prefer.

Feel free to report issues here.

Also see the Drizzle32 thread. Drizzle32 has more features, but will not be compatible with Deep Island and is only intended for offline use.
Last edited by Sirius on Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sirius

Re: Drizzle 31.1 !

Postby Aloys » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:12 pm

I admire some people's constant motivation to keep updating old software like that.. Great job! :)
Aloys

Postby Sirius » Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:23 am

Right. Good thing you can't count the times I said to myself "I should really update Drizzle... Bah, it can wait !" :lol:

Oh, and Diafero told me there is no need to convert MOUL Ages to play them on Deep Island (unlike MV/CT/MQ, which still require version 31 of Drizzle). Oops ! Oh well, at least we have a more stable version of Drizzle31.
Sirius

Postby Ehren » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:18 pm

I already have my own converted version I made using tools other than Drizzle, though I never figured out changing the sequence prefix, so I just ended up deleting the age with the conflicting prefix: BahroCave02 until I could figure out something, I'm embarrassed to say I still never figured out how to do it.

I tested this version of Drizzle out to see how it works, well it at least can do the prefix thing correctly unlike me, heh...

But can someone please add a patch for correcting the Great Tree Pub book names. I mean in the Python File Mods, everything in files "Words01_Python_File" up to "Words05_Python_File" needs the string "WordsJournal1" up to "WordsJournal5" to be changed to be "Words1" up to "Words5". Also in the "DRCNotebook_Python_File" "WordsDRCInfoJournal" needs to be changed to "WatcherPubInfo". There really is no reason to leave them with an invalid name for PotS. I don't know why Cyan felt the need to give them different names for MOUL but it could be easily fixed now that the conversion process itself is up for needing to be changed.
Ehren

Postby Sirius » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:00 am

Ehren wrote:I never figured out changing the sequence prefix

Dunno how to do this with other tools, but Drizzle has a -changeprefix command line option. Changing sequence prefix of existing Ages can confuse Uru, so watch out.

Ehren wrote:But can someone please add a patch for correcting the Great Tree Pub book names

Sure. I'm looking into changing a few more things in Drizzle, so I'll have a look at fixing this for the next version.
Sirius

Postby Ehren » Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:54 am

I had forgotten to check something sort of important. The words books don't use global texture files, meaning it uses the textures in the GreatTreePub's texture file, this is only a problem since, for some reason, this new version of the pub uses book GUI textures that don't work with CC, no crashes or anything, the covers will just look pure white.

You can even see a bunch of errors pop up in the Drizzle log box if you go to Advanced > Manual Conversion > Moul and process a single MOUL file, in this case *GreatTreePub_District_Textures.prp*. Here's what I see:

Show Spoiler

I actually had problems with those textures too, but ended up just replacing the dud ones by using the corresponding textures from the Pre-Chiso version of the pub.

This texture issue might be worth working out for its own sake though, not just for my little journal fixing idea, might become more import for any future versions of files, though I have no idea how complex this "not the expected size" thing would be to fix. (I swear I'm not trying to "assign" tasks to you or anything... I don't think I would have even suggested the book thing at all if I had remembered at the time to check for this weird texture error in the Drizzle version.)
Ehren

Postby Sirius » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:34 am

Ehren wrote:this new version of the pub uses book GUI textures that don't work with CC

Yeah, that's normal. Korman exports some textures to a MOUL-exclusive image format. Drizzle doesn't know about those (yet), so it starts panicking when it encounters one. The new Chiso Preniv Book also lacks the left-page note because of this.
(Off the top of my head, I think it has to do with RLE-encoded images, which was a format added to MOULa. At least I remember Hoikas writing something about those, but I'll check when the time comes.)
I don't want to look into it now, but it's going to be required sooner or later, with more and more Ages on MOULa being made with Korman.

Ehren wrote:I swear I'm not trying to "assign" tasks to you or anything...

I understand, no worries.
It's likely to take some time though. Drizzle work isn't the most fun in normal times, and for various covid-related reasons I don't have a lot of free time currently (or I dedicate it to either gaming or Blender, which are more relaxing). 2020/21 aren't the best years, unfortunately :/
Sirius

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:38 pm

Sirius wrote:(Off the top of my head, I think it has to do with RLE-encoded images, which was a format added to MOULa. At least I remember Hoikas writing something about those, but I'll check when the time comes.)

Psst, it's PNGs embedded in the plMipmaps ;)

Remember that images are BGRA in Plasma...
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Aloys » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:54 pm

Tsar Hoikas wrote:Remember that images are BGRA in Plasma...

Why? Why do people go out of their way to make obscure image color formats? :(
I've been pulling my hair at work the whole day on Unity over some obscure bug on Android where some only some image format are supported and not others.. And there is not less that *22* different color formats there... (not, I am not making that number up.. ARGB32, ARGB Half, ARGB Int, BGRA32, RGB11111110 Float.. It just never ends)
Aloys

Postby Sirius » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:02 pm

Tsar Hoikas wrote:Psst, it's PNGs embedded in the plMipmaps ;)

Thought it was something along those lines. I just need to sweet talk Drizzle into generating something PotS can use... :)

Tsar Hoikas wrote:Remember that images are BGRA in Plasma...

Oh yeah, now I remember seeing that with JPEGs in ZLZ. Will keep an eye out, thanks.

Aloys wrote:Why? Why do people go out of their way to make obscure image color formats? :(

You don't understand ! It's because this allows our platform to be more optimized than our concurrent's ! Heh, just joking. I think... I'm not so sure anymore with the OpenGL/D3D Y axis direction, left/right handed XYZ axis systems, etc.

Jokes aside, it's just the regular mess with formats, standards, norms, and optimization across different platforms, which you have to live with. It was already a mess with all the different file type and standards for color images (JPEG, YUV, premultiplied alpha, etc). Then with 3D came for instance normalmaps and heightmaps which have completely different needs and are destroyed when stored in the wrong container. Then people needed more channels to store metallic/roughness for PBR, along with stencils, etc, but had to squeeze them all together because of memory constraints. Etc.
Fortunately some formats are quite common like DXT1/DXT5/uncompressed in the case of DDS. Which were all superseded by the new shiny DX11/BC7 compression for which I have no viewer and no Gimp export plugin :evil:

Oh, and as often, there is a relevant XKCD.
Sirius

Next

Return to Plasma Development