3DS Max 2022 Python issues

Announcements and discussion regarding any projects related to Cyan Worlds' Plasma Engine including (but not limited to) CyanWorlds.com Engine, Drizzle, OfflineKI, PyPRP, and libHSPlasma.

3DS Max 2022 Python issues

Postby Paradox » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:58 pm

Mod Note: This discussion about the PlasmaMax plugin was split from this topic.

Jhon J. Jaguar wrote:Regarding the next expansion, I had to wait as I was hoping the plasma update for MAX 2022 would work well. But unfortunately the preset python group does not work as it should and therefore I cannot use it. Loading new pythons doesn't help either, because it doesn't load them. Can someone help me?

Can you explain, or maybe share screenshots, of the errors you're getting with the 3DS Max plugin in Max 2022? We are trying to keep it maintained and working, but none of the developers use Max, so we often don't know about problems until someone reports them.
Paradox

Re: I'm alive ;)

Postby Emor D'ni Lap » Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:51 am

Thanks Paradox.

Last year, Hoikas patiently helped me with getting Max2022’s Plasma plug-in to recognize Python. In turn, I’ve helped JhonJJaguar and Yali to do so. And I believe that now, both of them are in fact able to see the standard, current list of Python files within 2022.
But, in DIscord and email conversations with them, they are both reporting this same issue where any other custom Python files are NOT recognized by Plasma/Max.

For instance, Yali cites his addition of D’Lanor’s Dynamic Book Template as failing. Testing this myself, I add the two .py files Yali mentions to my 2022's Plasma/client folder
…and, for me at least, Varia.py does appear properly when applied.
VariaBookGUI.py does not appear, and looking at the Python log I can see it’s probably because I just threw D’Lanor’s file in as-is and Plasma doesn’t like the plethora of undefined unattached sample bookPages in the file.
From the Python.0.log file:

I hope the above helps Mr. Jaguar and Yali? If not, maybe this will help you diagnose, Paradox?
Emor D'ni Lap

Re: I'm alive ;)

Postby Emor D'ni Lap » Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:55 am

As Hoikas wrote last year:
"If there are any errors initializing the Python subsystem, then the plugin won't display any Python files at all. As I mentioned above, check the %LOCALAPPDATA%\Uru Live\log\python.0.log for any errors. I think this can also be extended to "if a Python file has errors, it won't be displayed, either", but I'm not sure on that without looking at the code."
Last edited by Paradox on Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed suggestion regarding splitting the topic, now that it has been split
Emor D'ni Lap

Re: 3DS Max 2022 Python issues

Postby Paradox » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:05 pm

yeah, my guess would be that any Python file with errors wouldn't be shown in the dropdown list in Max.

My initial thought as to why those files are hitting Python errors is that they might have been written for Python 2.3 (as used in the OpenUru MOULa client) as opposed to Python 3.8+ (as used in a H'uru client and the updated 3DS Max plugin). Do you have a sample of one of those files that you could share?
Paradox

Postby Emor D'ni Lap » Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:17 pm

Sure! I've PMed both to you.

What would be really helpful: some method that the noncoders or noobcoders among us could use to discern whether a Python file had been written in an acceptable version number.
I see nothing in the files I sent that would tell me this info.
Emor D'ni Lap

Postby Jhon J. Jaguar » Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:19 pm

Hi Guys.

The problem I have is different. The pythons that were created are actually seen by Plasma. BUT when it comes to applying them, they don't allow me to use SDLs, which are basic. Although the language is similar to that of the original pythons, the boxes for entering the SDL are non-existent. So they actually make pythons useless. Also, creating personal pythons even with .pyc attachments doesn't display them. I have tried everything, but there is no way to point them out.
Jhon J. Jaguar

Postby Emor D'ni Lap » Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:41 pm

Jhon, I am the opposite of a Python expert.

However, for anyone to diagnose your problem at this point, I'm pretty sure you're going to have to submit some examples of your custom Python files that are not working.

Some indication of what you're expecting to see (but are not) would also be helpful.
In other words: are any of the existing, original Python scripts behaving correctly? If so, show an image of the function working, so that the difference in your custom files can be compared.
Emor D'ni Lap

Return to Plasma Development