Preparations for Oculus Rift (Virtual Reality) support

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

Re: Preparations for Oculus Rift (Virtual Reality) support

Postby Deledrius » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:15 pm

Bronitel wrote:
Also, would anyone mind if I made a new topic for my development progress with the rift in the Plasma forum? I don't know if I'm putting these updates in the correct category.

That would probably be a more appropriate place for a continued dev log, as it's not specific to Gehn. :) (This whole thread should probably be over there, too, actually)

Please do make a dedicated thread for your work on this project. I'm sure many of us will be glad to follow along.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Jojon » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:43 am

Bronitel wrote:...
After the controls have been fixed (100% focus on this issue right now) I'll be moving onto figuring out how to render the foreground graphics. I have a few ideas for how to handle the KI but I'll need to get feedback from people in order to establish the most authentic AND realistic experience. It would be great to have your avatar body visible and have the KI spring up as a holographic panel that you need to look down at in order to focus on it.

If anyone can think of any other features that need to be implemented/tweaked to work in virtual reality then feel free to post them. :)

Oooh, yes I'd like that for the KI and likewise with books (and this (panning ability) could help somewhat with the resolution matter), although I suppose it could get slightly annoying to have to "activate" the KI in some way, and putting it away, instead of having it perpetually visible...
Maybe having the avatar always raise their arm when looking down, wouldn't be too obstructive (doubtful)... The holo panel is toggleable with a KI button already, after all... :7 (Positional input, such as used by The Gallery (...and which it is even designed around), could be interesting, but brings its own set of concerns, especially when there's typing involved.)
Just how accessible you want the KI to be, is entirely dependent on whether you are trying to keep up with chat, whilst running around, I suppose.
KI mode in third person VR view... not sure... :7
Jojon

Postby Chuckles58 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:54 pm

Or does this work with the new Oculus Quest 2, which I recently bought for Myst VR, as well as to play Obduction and eventually Firmament.
Image<----Click for info
Chuckles58

Previous

Return to Gehn Shard