Physics Bug Roundup!

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

Physics Bug Roundup!

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:58 pm

Gehn.3 includes two interesting bullet points in the release notes that I've been working somewhat hard on...

• Unlock client framerate
  • Improve PhysX sim stability

These two changes together had the benefit of drastically improving the way the game works with PhysX... Aside from the obvious benefit of the game's framerate being faster than the average tree sloth, firemarbles no longer behave like super balls, the kickables in the Teledahn slave caves aren't trolling us anymore, and cones are less special. There is a lot of improvement, but I don't have time to investigate the entire game to see how much better tings are working. As a result, I'd like to hand out a challenge that I like to refer to as the "Physics Bug Roundup!". The task is quite simple: find any weird issues with the physical simulation.

So what qualifies as a "weird issue"? Off the top of my head: odd panic links, not being able to run up a flight of stairs, the camera doing weird things, falling through the floor, super jumps, and kickables exploding. I would be interested to hear how the "combo-jump" is working now just for my own curiosity. I'm not very interested in exploits like getting on top of invisible colliders, though you're welcome to show that to me if you want. I don't plan on fixing any of those exploits, but they may get fixed (or broken, depending on your view of them) as other things get fixed.

Happy Exploring!
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Re: Physics Bug Roundup!

Postby J'Kla » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:05 pm

Will you be counting the vanishing fish baskets as one of these issues?
J'Kla

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:06 pm

If that still happens, it falls under "kickables exploding"
Tsar Hoikas

Postby Annabelle » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:00 pm

That's my department ;)

I'll look at this matter this weekend or at the beginning of next week
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby dtierce » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:36 pm

J'Kla wrote:Will you be counting the vanishing fish baskets as one of these issues?

I can verify that this is still happening as of early this morning. After carefully positioning the two baskets from the upper cave, I returned with the fireflies to find one of them had vanished. I linked out and back to find that the second one gone as well. After deleting Eder Gira and re-playing, everything was OK.

David Tierce
dtierce

Postby janaba » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:01 am

Hi, Adam and all, the following pictures show the sequence of my logging onto the Shard
which I've experienced 5 times by now, yeah, you see I've tried it again and again and I
must say it isn't disturbing at all, the first time it happened I even pondered if this might
be intentionally implemented like this, so just in case it isn't look at these pictures and
decide yourselves ... I wonder if anybody is linking to his/her Relto in the same way ... :P

Oh, I'd like to mention that I can move on. I linked into the GoW 4 neighborhood and to
Eder Delin to get my bench and the autumn leaves which I now have as you can see and
I tried to get my Tsogahl portal which I don't have as I arrived too late because of that
not expected looong Relto incoming sequence lol ... :)

(I don't post thumbs so that you can see it better like a film and don't have to click through them all)

And you're flying totally into the ground (couldn't get that picture so quickly)
At this point I have to get my Relto book with F3 and Relto out otherwise nothing happens besides that you're hearing
the Relto ambience sounds

janaba

Postby D'Lanor » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:09 am

The "fly on arrival" bug seems to have something to do with the 1920x1080 resolution. It stopped once I switched back to 1680x1050 (which I like better anyway because it doesn't "squish" as much).
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby janaba » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:57 am

Just tried it but it didn't work, I'm still flying in lol ... I went into my closet and when
I linked back I had the same flying in effect ... I immediately linked to the hood to see
if the same would happen when linking back to Relto, but it didn't as before ...

So, it only seems to be confined to the Relto environment, thanks, D'Lanor however,
my avi isn't so squished resp. elongated anymore ... :P
janaba

Postby GPNMilano » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:29 am

Judging by the positioning of the camera in those pictures. Something's triggering the camera that's used when you jump into the fissure after completing the first journey.
You can't stop the truth. IC Blog
GPNMilano

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:18 pm

I would say the same thing as GPNMilano... I would also say that this bug annoyed me very much back in UU :P
Tsar Hoikas

Next

Return to Gehn Shard