A skydiver adventure on Gehn shard

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

Re: A skydiver adventure on Gehn shard

Postby Sirius » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:18 pm

Yes, and it does have an exclude region though, which seems to be parented to the door.
I remember seeing people sitting on the door while it was closing and linking back to their Relto...
Why didn't they use a static exclude region as they usually do ? :shrug:
Sirius

Postby adi » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:33 pm

*I think* I found a small glitch. Well I can't reach the same spot in MOULa but here it was so easy. Just a small climb on the barricade above Tokotah Nexus through a series of walkjumps, and a leap to the Pub. ^^
Known or not, at any case it was new to me and I was very happy to discover it. xDxD

adi

Postby Annabelle » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:37 pm

Sirius: I thank you for all the help you provided me :D

You might not know the story...let me summarized it:

Sirius approached me in the Cavern after talking to Abjab (that was back in june 2010). Being a french guy and me, a french canadian, it was easy to communicate. He showed me a lot of tricks. Many that play my quests in MOULa will see his name in my credits section of several quests (usually at the beginning).

One of the thing he was working on was the Delin Door. He never reached it. I did. I did it the other way around, but it's hard, devilishly hard I should say. I went back to the basics: what about giving a try by Sirius' side? I succeeded, this is the usual way I complete Eder Delin in MOULa since.

So Merci beaucoup Sirius to find my gardens' doors tricks awesome but at least for Eder Delin, you paved the way!

@ Adi:

I'm glad that you reached the top of the collision over the barricade. However, this location has been mapped by at least 3 to 4 guys back in MOULa. They cannot reached it as easily as you did in Gehn because The Collision Grip effect is not effective in MOULa.

@ Everyone:

Personally, I never mapped that area where Adi took her pictures (that side of the Tokotah Alley & The Kahlo's Pub). "Why?", you may ask. I will told you why...because they made such a "job de cochon!"...a what???? they made "a terrible mess" in canadian french slang :lol: When it comes to that sort of issues, I can't help, my heart is talking and my heart is french ;)!!!

I want to improve a bit your knowledge about collisions. I will show you some pictures so you can begin to understand a bit more. I need a little bit more freedom and this forum gives it :).

What's a mess in my point of view:

Show Spoiler

That...you don't want to encounter that, you only want to cry out loud. The mess here is the boxed collisions. You are inside collisions on every angles. There's no opening. There's no way to move over them. Some may say: "That's not true!" I'll answer: "you do "move" but you don't "move" properly, you're not going STRAIGHT forward, you're pulled inside the box. Boxed collisions hate to be walked on or jumped on.

Now to compare and to help you understand my process to see collisions let me show you TWO "identical" pictures

Show Spoiler

Now why do I say they are "identical"? The markers are on the side of the collisions. The collisions that you see there are not boxed, they are open. Those collisions account for approximately 70% of all collisions in the game. Those are the ones I'm "looking for" and I'm reaching. Those are the ones you mostly reach inside my quests.

The markers on ground gives you a important info: where are the collisions. But if you compare the 2 pictures, you see in one the height of the collisions and not in the other. Now comes instinct. Look at the Kirel's Auditorium picture taken on Gehn, if you follow the different levels of seating, you see that the collisions are following the same waving pattern. In practice, you must go slowly and be aware, looking at your avvie, of the slightest change in the environment.

All my explorations are made with this "markers beside collisions" technique. After I cover an area, I delete them. So my "working copy" quests are cleaned of those markers once the collisions' tops are mapped.

@ Deledrius: I'm glad I wasn't there during the beta-testing for MOUL, they would had raised the collisions to unprecedented heights. In almost half of the Fan ages, I found out "breaches" to exploit. I remember a writer telling me after I told him, your plaza in your age is quite odd, it's unfitted, we see weird visual issues when we go there. He told me: "yes but since we can't go there without cheating...(aka using "jump" command), I won't fix that issue." Basically, he was telling me to avoid going there and forget about that issue. What I think he didn't catch...is that I'm going there without the "jump" command ;). If someone asks me for the recipe, i'll say this: "open that door, walk forward, turn 90 degrees to your right, run-jump, there you are!". I found a "breach". I exploit a bug in the age design. The age builders must think of those issues. For MOUL, they thought of the Havok engine when designing the walls. After it was replaced by physX, a new array of possibilities were given to us. If we extend that to Gehn release 1.4, a new array of possibilities is given to us that isn't possible in MOULa.

So mainly, we aren't bother a lot by panic zones or other difficulties because Cyan never thought of what would be possible in the future (now). I'm glad of 2 things: I wasn't there when they built and tested the game and they are not patching the weaknesses of the collisions since the reopening.
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby janaba » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:08 am

Your thorough scientific approach to all those matters is astounding, Annabelle ... :P

Someone knowledgable like you could apply for a game tester with a renowned
computer game company, but that would with all certainty kill the fun, I suppose ... :D

Thanks however, Annabelle, for again and again generously trying to reveal to
all of us, mostly average explorers like me, the mysteries behind all of this and
I'm glad that you're finding many like-minded enthusiasts here on these forums ... :)
janaba

Postby Annabelle » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:39 pm

Thx Janaba :D

Here my thoughts about 2 of your comments:

For the community I found here on this forum,

Some might say that this forum is mostly to provide age writers tips and tools to write age but I'm posting here even though I have nothing to do with age writing. I like the freedom of speech we have here and I somehow built bridges between developpers/coders/writers and me.

I would say that I found a lot of support from of this community to help support my own works (quests). I've been taught to use some tools that are very useful for me. Some writers, like Calena, built a whole section beyond normal reaches for me. I'm glad I've found it and she is also glad that I found it on my own. I was wondering why she built such an "invisible" path after a barrier made of sky high collisions. Now I know why. I've been using Branan's internal client a lot too. Some Grey Hats showed me a lot of "unreachable" locations in MOULa. For some, I did include them in my quests. Others are just "unreachable" by normal means. I worked a lot with a developper, Boq, during a period of time to help me reaching certain locations within my private ages. When I have specific "developper" questions, I ask him. On shards, I talked to the administrators or the older explorers to learn how to maximize my gameplay (learning cheat commands). I learned how to tweek my offline URU:CC and installed Until Uru and tweeked it as well by grabbing info here and there (Sirius' and Chacal's posts mostly).

I'm also part of Zuri's development team. I always asked myself what I could contribute to that team though. I'm very skilled at testing but I tend to keep "secret" the best bug :lol: and I really have near to no time to help them. I'm still with them, I won't let them down.

I could work days and nights for the year to come and I wouldn't have finished my projects. I'm always finding something to reach, to do, to map (with markers), I have 1,000 projects in my head. My closed buddies are litteraly trailing behind me :lol: . Babysitting 5 hyperactive children or playing a whole day with me on a shard (including MOULa) is equally exhausting.

I did a "game" last summer during my "time off from the cavern" with 11 quests (nearly 800 markers) for "Les Voltigeurs", the french skydivers community. I played it several times. I always finished the "game" in 14-16 hours. I said to myself: "Great! It will take them let say 20 days to finish." After more than 6 months, no one finished it yet :lol:

My quests releases in MOULa are around 20 to 25 quests each. The next one will have 24 quests (beginning of March). I can play them in 2-3 days with breaks to live, breath, sleep, eat, etc... I wouldn't be surprised that even the most skilled takes more than 6 months to do them all.

For the scientific approach,

you're right :) . I wouldn't have done such work published or to be published without understand well how things work. Just a small example.

At the beginning of this post, I talked about Sautaillet and I working each in our own Er'cana for one goal: reaching the Canyon's Top. He won. Shortly after, I asked him how to reach it. He told me: "do this, do that, do APPROXIMATELY that, there I'M NOT SURE, I THINK I did that, etc."

30 minutes later, he asked me: "Are you up the canyon?" I told him: "No". "Why?", he asked me back. I told him that I wouldn't go to the top before understand what I'm doing. What do you think I first did once on top of the Canyon?

Celebrate? Nah.

Telling him: "I'm there"? Nah, I did it later...

Jump back to the grounds? Yes :) I reclimbed in 30 secs without any mistakes.

There's no way you can become an expert if you don't understand what you are doing. If someone comes, sees me up in the "air" and asks: "What are you doing up there?" My answer will never be: "I don't know, I got there by chance!" I always know where I am, in every ages, cyan's or fans'.
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby johnsojc » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:31 pm

I can't seem to find the magic angle to get into the Tsogal tunnel. I either immediately link back to Relto or fall into the black and panic link. Is this still working in Gehn 1.6?
johnsojc

Postby mirphak » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:24 pm

Shorah,
Yes, it's still working :)
mirphak

Postby johnsojc » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:40 pm

Thnx, obviously I haven't got the proper aim or technique. I finally tracked down the "official" techniques for walk-jump and run-jump and figured out how to do it on my laptop keyboard but I cannot seem to figure out double-jump (wj/rj combo). Either my keyboard is fighting me (seems not to alliow more than two keys at once) or my fingers are just too slow. I assume there is just one spot you can hit on the tunnel wall that doesn't send you packing back to Relto. :x
johnsojc

Postby Acorn » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:19 am

I can't do it either - I seem to be too low down or too far from the wall compared to Annabelle's pictures. But when I take the next jump to try to get nearer or higher, I get dragged through the wall and get the same result as johnsojc.
Acorn

Postby Annabelle » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:38 pm

@ johnsojc & Acorn,

I don't know what you guys are up to??? Eder Tsogal isn't it?

If so... The double jump techniques are only for MOULa server.

Until Hoikas revokes the easy wall-climbing in Gehn, you just need to do walk-jump to reach a certain height.

You do a walk-jump, you take a break, you do a 2nd walk-jump, you take a break, etc.

The sweet spot to be able to reach the tunnel beyond the closed Tsogal's door is enough far from the door itself but not too far. 66% the distance between the door and the bushes on the cliff. When there, angle the cliff to land on the tunnel's edge (even if you miss it but are aligned with it, you should link out to the cave).

If you are too close to the door: you'll hit the panic zone and be sent back to your relto.
If you are too far, you risk that you just go over the collision and eventually hit the general panic zone below the age and be sent back to your relto.
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

PreviousNext

Return to Gehn Shard