Bug Report: Unable to create file. Hard drive may be full.

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

Re: Bug Report: Unable to create file. Hard drive may be ful

Postby Deledrius » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:57 pm

The problem, as I see it, is that MMOs don't really fit the model of "admin installs, user runs" because the software is expected to be updated constantly, but not require administrator permissions to do so as it is a normal user-initiated process. It's a glaring weakness in that security model. There are ways to work around it, but they are that: workarounds.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Re: Bug Report: Unable to create file. Hard drive may be ful

Postby diafero » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:47 am

IMHO "user installs, user runs" is harldy a work-around for programs that are almost only data. The security model does not forbid the user to execute programs he downloaded, for a good reason. It's just that the basic system, the most important programs, and all those for which this can be done in a good way should be read-only to the normal user - and, of course, as little as ever possible should run with higher privileges.
I am running Uru on Linux, and this is exactly what it boils down to - the whole wine runs (of course) with user privileges, so Uru can without any problems update itself.
Of course, a side-effect of this is that if several users on the same machine play Uru, you need several installations (or a globally writeable folder, which is not a good idea). From a security standpoint though this is actually an advantage, since it prevents malware running as user A to easily run as user B by modifying executables started by B.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Can't access Gehn Shard

Postby lvaughan » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:02 am

The launcher starts, downloads new patcher, accesses server, then I get an error msg 'can't create file. Hard drive may be full'

Tried reinstalling with no difference, and tried logging out and in a couple of times. Stuck!

lvaughan
lvaughan

Re: Can't access Gehn Shard

Postby Branan » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:32 pm

Just like MOULagain, you need to run Gehn as administrator. We are looking in to ways to make this easier in the future.
Your friendly neighborhood shard admin
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Previous

Return to Gehn Shard