Bug Report: Unable to create file. Hard drive may be full.

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

Cannot create file.... hard drive may be full?

Postby sdickens » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:41 pm

I cant get in... cannot create file.. hard drive may be full...
sdickens

Re: Cannot create file.... hard drive may be full?

Postby Branan » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:51 pm

Are you on Windows Vista or Windows 7?

You need to run Gehn Shard as administrator just like Cyan's MOULagain shard.
Your friendly neighborhood shard admin
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Bug Report: Unable to create file. Hard drive may be full.

Postby Zacky » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:43 pm

I am using a admin account so no issue there. I have tried repeatedly and no happiness. Thanks.
Zacky

Re: Bug Report: Unable to create file. Hard drive may be ful

Postby Deledrius » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:05 pm

When did you receive this message?
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Zacky » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:30 am

I was getting it while the Urulauncher.exe had gotten to the "updating Uru" and was at 0 seconds. I got around it by Running Urulauncher.exe as administrator, right clicking the shortcut and clicking "Run as Administrator". I am using a login in Win7 that is a local administrator but I still have to right click the Urulauncher.exe shortcut to run it successfully.
Zacky

Postby Branan » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:08 am

In Vista and 7 you always need to right-click, even when you are a local administrator. Microsoft decided most of their users couldn't be trusted with admin powers and made it so that even an admin account is just a normal user unless you take extra steps.
Your friendly neighborhood shard admin
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby diafero » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:16 pm

Why does MOUL need admin power at all? We had all that trouble with Uru:CC for DI, but that's because Uru is older than even Vista, so all the compatibility crap is enabled which causes nothing but problems. For Gehn I'd expect some simple check on startup whether we have write access to our folder, and of course the necessary manifests (or whatever it takes) to disable all the compatibility, especially then file-system virtualization. And then people should install Gehn to their profile, and everything should work.
Admin powers for a simple game is quite the opposite of the usual "only the privileges you need" policy...
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Luna » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:31 pm

I think programs are supposed to install themselves in the User directory not Program Files on windows vista/7 but I am not sure. I have seen only one game actually do that :P
Code: Select all
long longestTimeWithoutPlayingMoula = (new Date()) - (new Date(2014, 9, 26));
Luna

Postby semplerfi » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:17 pm

In Win7 I made a 'games' folder. On that folder's properties under "Security" tab I gave myself "Full control" of the folder. This has gotten around most of the 'Admin' issues.
semplerfi

Postby diafero » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:35 pm

Luna wrote:I think programs are supposed to install themselves in the User directory not Program Files on windows vista/7 but I am not sure. I have seen only one game actually do that :P

No, no they are not! That would circumvent most of the point of admin rights, which is that an arbitrary process running with user privileges cannot, for example, exchange your anti-virus by something else.
However, Uru (MOUL version) is constantly updating itself (so we want user processes to change it). Usually it should separate data from binaries, but with games that's quite uncommon, and the binaries are tiny compared to the data anyway, so they can all together be put into the user profile.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Next

Return to Gehn Shard