Installing Gehn Shard on OSX

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

Re: Installing Gehn Shard on OSX

Postby Ainia » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:33 pm

Shorah gabriml,

That did the trick for me too! Thanks to you, I'm back in business on Gehn. :)
ImageImage
Ainia

Postby Clatch » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:31 pm

Changing the engine to WS9Wine1.5.16 did the trick for me too. Thanks!
Clatch

Postby Gahlen » Sat May 04, 2013 3:21 pm

Hmm. Recently did a re-install of Gehn under Wine. Now I am getting a message (that I've seen referred to on the forum elsewhere) that "PhysX is not installed or an older version is installed". Answering yes to the install new version?-option ("Game will exit if you click No") leads to what appears to be a hung "Starting URU. Please wait …" box. It's not at all clear to me how I deal with this on the Mac. Any suggestions?
Gahlen

Postby Deledrius » Sat May 04, 2013 5:29 pm

I'm not sure how it would have happened, but I'd suggest installing the PhysX Legacy driver pack inside the Wine instance as a first attempt to fix it.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Korovev » Sun May 19, 2013 3:21 am

I had the same issue, and found out I had the "AGEIA Technologies" PhysX, instead of the "NVIDIA Corporation" one. I made a whole new wrapper, to be safe.

Also, be careful with the 2.5.9 wrapper: in my case it no longer adjusts the gamma and I can only drag the window downward (in fact, I switched back to 2.5.8).
Deep Island #194197, MOULa #46116, Gehn #137074, Minkata #132812.
Gahreesenomee biv keneet pishoeet b’set!
My macOS wrappers, Fan Age Expeditions, tools and other stuff.
Korovev

Postby Ainia » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:24 am

Shorah everyone,

I've been having a heek of a time getting my Gehn Wineskin to run properly with this latest update (Gehn.20). I'm getting closer and closer but still can't quite get there.

Firstly, I had to give up on updating my existing Wineskin and reinstall Gehn on a fresh Wineskin. And then I had to download and install two missing DLL files (msvcp120.dll and msvcr120.dll) since the updater doesn't seem to install them if they are missing and it's not possible to install them via Winetricks. I've lost count of how many times I've re-run the program; each time I seemed to get a little farther through the black screen update process. However, I'm not able to get past this; at best, it finishes that update and then quits. More often, it quits sometime during that update process. I haven't figured out how to resolve this one and get past it.

Has anyone else in the Mac/Wineskin world managed to get the new Gehn to run successfully? If so, *please* post how you managed it!

[[Note: Today, it gets to the "Loading Global..." message and then crashes every time]]
ImageImage
Ainia

Postby Christian Walther » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:25 am

Hi Ainia, I have given up on getting the vcredist_x86 installer to run, but once I installed the two DLLs into windows/system32 manually, your Wineskin (Wrapper Version: Wineskin 2.6.0, Engine: WS9Wine1.5.16) worked just fine for me on Mac OS X 10.6.8 (better than even Cider on MOULa, which was a pleasant surprise). I had set it up with Gehn.19, and apart from the vcredist problem it seems to have updated to Gehn.20 successfully. I have never had it quit like you describe. So unfortunately I can’t say anything more helpful than “works for me”. :(

There might be a way to use a debugger to figure out where it crashes, but I’m not familiar with that and don’t currently have the time to do the research.
Christian Walther

Postby Ainia » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:30 pm

Shorah Christian Walther,

Thanks for the feedback. The big difference between your setup and mine is that I'm on OSX 10.9.3 (Mavericks). I've tried fiddling with the engine (rolling it forward and back) but so far, the results are the same... I get to the "Loading Global..." and then crash.

Here are the two Wineskin log files:

LastRunX11.log Show Spoiler

LastRunWine.log Show Spoiler

I'm afraid I don't really know how to interpret these logs, but perhaps there's someone here who can?
ImageImage
Ainia

Postby Christian Walther » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:57 am

The addresses at the end of LastRunWine.log might tell Hoikas or someone else who has the debug info file for the Gehn client something (assuming they are the same as they would be on a Windows system). Whether that would lead to a solution is a different question…

There are some differences between your logs and mine, but they may be due to the slightly different hardware, different OS version, or different Wine version.

LastRunX11.log Show Spoiler

LastRunWine.log Show Spoiler
Christian Walther

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:47 pm

Code: Select all
wine: Unhandled exception 0x40000015 at address 0x96811a3 (thread 003d), starting debugger...
err:seh:raise_exception Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0 addr 0x7b82cf29

Seems to be the most relevant portion. I'll investigate when I get another chunk of Uru time ;)

There wouldn't happen to be a crash.dmp file in your log directory, would there?
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

PreviousNext

Return to Gehn Shard