Fan Ages

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

Fan Ages

Postby Justintime9 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:35 pm

I apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere, but what's the situation regarding fan ages in this shard? I noticed Vothol Gallery is there, but do you guys plan on adding some others? I mean, is it simply a matter of converting the files to be compatible with the MOUL engine, or is there something more involved?
Justintime9

Re: Fan Ages

Postby Branan » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:47 pm

We want Gehn to be a showcase, and that means the best ages the GoW can produce. How we can achieve that but still be as inclusive and non-biased as possible is being discussed.

Likely it will involve more contests of the sort that Vothol won.
Your friendly neighborhood shard admin
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Justintime9 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:26 am

I see. Sounds like a good plan. I assume you've only just started then? because there's a bunch that I'm sure would be added immediately, considering their quality (namely Tweek and Whilyam's ages.) And by "contests" do you mean creating whole new ages? Or just comparing existing ages to each other?
Justintime9

Postby Paradox » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:25 am

Justintime9 wrote:I see. Sounds like a good plan. I assume you've only just started then? because there's a bunch that I'm sure would be added immediately, considering their quality (namely Tweek and Whilyam's ages.) And by "contests" do you mean creating whole new ages? Or just comparing existing ages to each other?

I'm sure Tweek and Whilyam's Ages would be added, but they don't have any MOUL-compatible versions (and in Tweek's case, he's mentioned a few times that he's not interested in building for multiplayer).
Paradox

Postby Wamduskasapa » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:52 am

I would like to recommend Calena's 2 ages. Rahsoo Bahrotan and R'Oshanhnin Korvahkhn both were designed as Multi-player, they are challenging and have an excellent inter-related story line.
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

What exactly makes an age Moul compatible?

Postby dendwaler » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:29 am

What exactly makes ages Moul compatible?

As I did understand an age builded in or exported using 3Dmax , results in an age " Compatible" to Moul(a).

What are exactly the differences from a Blender export?
And what can or has to be done to make Blender builds compatible?
Can it be done afterwards?

Simple but an important question for me.
After investing so much time to get fluid in Blender, i realy hate the idea to be forced to move to 3Dmax.
I have a new age in the pipeline and can see the end of that pipe in the misty distance.
I am busy implementing puzzles right now.
How these puzzles are set up depends havenly on the answer to the question, if they will be solved by a single player or by coorperation between multi users.
Until now both options are still open, but not for long, i have to make a decision and follow a path.

Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Re: What exactly makes an age Moul compatible?

Postby J'Kla » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:30 am

I'm probably in a similar boat here I've spent a lot of time developing three ages and for a long time I've been trying to overcome issues between my brain and Python (It's a basic incompatability) It now looks like the only way to overcome these issues is a port to s3dMax and all the wall head banging that goes with this.

If there were some way to export an age to 3dMax where I didn't need to re-assign every texture I don't use many textures but I do have a lot of surfaces.
J'Kla

Postby Justintime9 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:45 am

Well what exactly are the criteria for an age to be MOUL, or multiplayer compatible? I would suggest my age Tsoidahl Prad (which was another submission in the D'ni Area contest.) I believe the script I used for some of the animations was designed for multiplayer, and has been tested in the Deep Island shard. Of course I would polish it up a bit as well, and hopefully it's not too difficult to make it MOUL compatible.
Justintime9

Postby Karkadann » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:58 am

I assume Age's made in 3DS Max and exported using Cyan Plugins are compatible for MOUL before converting them using Drizzle, so in theory all you realy need is the files in the export folder, unfortunately their are only a few of us working in Max that I know of and the majority working in Blender. I would be more then glad to offer any of my ages for MOUL but keep in mind, im still a bit of an amateur.
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Re: What exactly makes an age Moul compatible?

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:30 pm

An age is compatible with MOUL as a result of the data in the .PRP files. At the moment, there is not an easy way to convert your Path of the Shell ages to MOUL format. We're evaluating solutions for updating your Blender exported ages to MOUL. Keep in mind that the team is small (6 active members on a good day, 3 on an average day, and none on a bad day), so the process will definitely not be instant. I will say that the solution we have in mind will make both Blender and 3ds Max users happy.

If you're designing puzzles for multiplayer or singleplayer, keep in mind that users can always play PotS ages on the Deep Island shard until we can import your ages to the MOUL format.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Next

Return to Gehn Shard