Cliffhanger capabilities in Eder Gira

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

Cliffhanger capabilities in Eder Gira

Postby JanB » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:25 am

Handy and nice but not as original:
;)
I did not know that my avatar was capable to climb the cliff after the jump to the fumerole on the rock pillar around which lava flows in Eder Gira.
Even if you go into the pitt next to it you are able to play cliff hanger and climb out again by keeping on walkin forward and repeat jumping.
It works in both directions. Tested it also in MOUL again just to be sure , but by Avatar can't do that there and needs to relto out from that position.
JanB

Re: Cliffhanger capabilities in Eder Gira

Postby Annabelle » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:29 am

The "cliffhanging" is something easily doable in any ages in Gehn shard. The only thing you need for that is a collision wall not at 90 degrees or higher angle.

It's the benefit of Hoikas' mods on the physX engine :D .

In MOULa, I wouldn't expect those mods to appear. I don't think Cyan would like the fact that we would all being able to do "cliffhanging" everywhere!

Since MOULa reopening, Cyan didn't stop any skydiving activities in the Cavern and we have a total freedom of doing whatever we want there. It's still a marginal activity done by let say less than 5% of the Caverners.

Go visit...TOC's COD on a busy day :lol: the "skydiving afficionados" is around 75%. Why? Because it's easy to go everywhere.

In Gehn, visit the public Ae'gura, you will see many explorers climbing collisions everywhere more than in MOULa's public Ae'gura!

So...yes you can do "cliffhanging" in Gira in Gehn, but also in every ages on this shard but this isn't reproducible in MOULa.
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby Deledrius » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:59 am

If I understand the location you mean correctly, this was doable if you were careful even back in ABM. I appreciated that it was one less forced link out to Relto and back if you took the time to line up your jump.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby J'Kla » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:40 pm

Yes but if you line up your jumps correctly you can do it all without the cliff hangar. ;)
J'Kla

Postby gabriml » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:08 pm

Agreed! I have been jumping from that pillar top to 'under the arch' since URUCC.
Mark Gabrielson
Gehn KI#: 28638
-----------------------
John Three Sixteen
gabriml

Postby D'Lanor » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:02 am

What worries me though is that you can now easily jump over the rocks towards the second section of Eder Gira without fully solving the vents puzzle. That is fine if you do this intentionally, but it is in fact so easy that new players won't even know that it is supposed to be a puzzle. :(
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Deledrius » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:59 am

Yeah, it would seem that some of the physics may need to be adjusted.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Ron Landry » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:07 am

That's a point, D'Lanor!

But on the other hand, new explorers will benefit from the same fact at a different location. They can climb out of the narrow crack in the floor in Gahreesen, just after the KI room, after collecting the Relto page down there. From an IC perspective this solution seems to be smarter than In MOUL and Offline URU, where you have to backlink to Relto, to get out of it.

So these improved climbing ability could be a mixed blessing. In other words: It touches the balance of the game idea. With this improved ability some URU puzzles would have been arranged in a different way, I suppose. The adjustments, which now may be needed, may cause new unexpected effects, which again needed to be adjusted.
Last edited by Ron Landry on Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
... and so I close realising that perhaps ... the ending ... has not yet been written.
returned to the cavern as
MOULa KI#10215645 Ovaron / Gehn Shard KI#582269 Ovaron2
Ron Landry

Postby Deledrius » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:09 am

Sure, but game balance shouldn't be an accident caused by bug fixes. It should be a conscious choice of design.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Ron Landry » Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:16 am

Absolutely Deledrius! I fully agree.
... and so I close realising that perhaps ... the ending ... has not yet been written.
returned to the cavern as
MOULa KI#10215645 Ovaron / Gehn Shard KI#582269 Ovaron2
Ron Landry

Next

Return to Gehn Shard