Cliffhanger capabilities in Eder Gira

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

Re: Cliffhanger capabilities in Eder Gira

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:28 am

The movement sweeping still needs a little bit of work so that players can't cheat their way past the slope limit by jumping. I need to sit down and brave the evil of the avatar controller sometime and get that done. I guess that silly hack where the avatar was pushed back when sliding off some physical actually was useful for something :P
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Ron Landry » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:42 am

Eder Gira:
In addition to what D'Lanor said: the situation in Eder Gira is more worse now, concerning the puzzle concept of this age. Not only, that one can reach the second section without solving the vents puzzle. The basket- and firefly-puzzle is devaluated, also. There is no need to mess around with those baskets (and fireflies) any longer, to reach the last cloth. Why to collect the baskets up above the waterfalls? You don't need it. You simply have to climb up the rock to reach the last cloth. Oh dear!

Generally the cliffhanger capabilities are really great -- as far as you have solved all puzzles. I worry, that every age now must be checked, weather the puzzles are devaluated thru these fact or not. Maybe it would be a great incentive, if this "feature" would be activated only, when an age is solved (just my opinion).
... and so I close realising that perhaps ... the ending ... has not yet been written.
returned to the cavern as
MOULa KI#10215645 Ovaron / Gehn Shard KI#582269 Ovaron2
Ron Landry

Postby Ron Landry » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:59 am

Uuups - NO! I've forgotten to consider, that the fireflies don't like jumping. So the puzzle concept of the second part of Eder Gira is still solid. Phew ...! That was a close shave!
... and so I close realising that perhaps ... the ending ... has not yet been written.
Ron Landry

Postby Annabelle » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:05 am

:lol:

Yeah sure...let's secure the rock formation for disabling people to get there without using the vent :lol: ...you should come in my Giras back in MOULa, you won't see any "vent puzzle" setted. Here's my Universal Law of Gravity: "When you want to reach a spot, look around, climb to the highest point possible, jump, the gravity will bring you there" :)

Yeah sure...let's secure the fireflies double hassle puzzle :lol: ...I do all in once in MOULa, I never use 2 sets of fireflies, I don't have time to waste for that. I don't have access to cliffhanging abilities in MOULa

Talking about the crevice in Gahreesen...I always get out of there without linking out of Gahreesen in MOULa and without the cliffhanging abilities.

You can work hard to make it difficult but the only thing to prevent someone like me to cheat is to put chains around my waist because I always find ways to cheat ;) , the best puzzles for me are to avoid those designed :D. I hate to be trapped in life like in game.
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby Ron Landry » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:20 am

Well, you are a special sophisticated explorer, Annabelle. But think of all those poor average explorers ... ;)
Ron Landry

Postby Annabelle » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:12 am

well Ron and all!

I think that pushing forward the issue of "disabling people to have fun to have to endure annoying puzzles instead" is not the right thing to do.

If hoikas decides to rework the avatar movement to make it look like in URU:CC, I'm pulling out of Gehn in a flash!!! Also on a side effect, many will quit TOC because that shard implements all hoikas' fixes to date.

The rebounce on surface is what we have to cope with in URU:CC and in MOULa (at a lesser extend) everyday. Without combos and double jumps abilities, MOULa wouldn't be so attractive! You might say...well you can find ways. It depends. Bring me at the bottom of the Everest and tells me go ahead Annabelle, climb this mountain without help...I'll send you in a psychiatric aisle right away!

I can manage easily to cheat in many fan ages because they didn't think I would one day be in the URU universe. Many fan ages have just no barriers or not so high barriers at all. Some like "Crater Concept" or "Vothol Gallery" (apart from inner features) are real fortress that we can't conquer.
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby Ron Landry » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:15 pm

Teledahn:
:roll: The "stone-shooting" puzzle is devaluated. One can simply climb up the wall of the mushroom, reaching the room without solving the puzzle. See this posting.

error-teledahn5.jpg
error-teledahn5.jpg (142.7 KiB) Viewed 5804 times
Ron Landry

Postby Zacky » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:10 am

I think this cliffhanger ability is also what lets you walk along the side of the wall where you normally have to place the two baskets to avoid jumping with the firebugs. There is no need to place the baskets anymore. :(
Zacky

Postby Annabelle » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:55 pm

Now let me take a serious approach on this weird subject that started with this thread:

What I get from all your posts is: "I dislike the cliffhanging abilities BECAUSE we can cheat and avoid puzzles! That's bad! Help!"

Ok let me try to see the whole thing and explain some basic thing to you.

"I dislike going to work everyday BECAUSE I can easily go rob a bank and make easy money! That's bad! Help!"

Robbing a bank is NOT good. The intended way to behave in modern societies is to go to work and earn your money. There's always the possibilities to rob a bank. It's your own personal selfish choice. That's your array of freedom. You know it's bad, you know you might get busted by policemen, go to jail. That's part of the deal. "Ya stole Ya get locked up, man!" That's the crude reality. Go see the policemen and say: "I'm sorry! I know it was wrong but I did it anyway, please protect the bank more! so we are not tempted to do it!". The policemen will 1st, laugh at you, 2nd, they will put you in a "special" aisle of the jail beginning with "psycho" and finishing with "logical"

back to URU now...

You cheat and you know it's NOT good (note to myself: "I should do what I say not what I'm doing :lol:" ). The intended way playing URU is to solve different puzzles to advance the game. There's always the possibilities to cheat (in MOULa it's harder but for someone like me, it's easy, in Gehn, a 5 years old child can manage that). It's your own personal selfish choice. That's your array of freedom. You know it's bad, you know that doing that kind of action, you can take out all the fun related to solving the puzzles making the game less attractive. That's part of the deal. "Ya cheated Ya get to finish real fast, man!" That's the crude reality. Go see Hoikas and say: "I'm sorry! I know it was wrong but I did it anyway, please protect the puzzles more! so we are not tempted to cheat them!". Now...I don't know how Hoikas is dealing with that, but I'm finding that real funny!

Guys!!! You're human beings with head and intelligence. Stop whining! If you don't want to cheat: DON'T :lol: . Nobody is forcing ya! If the temptation is too strong, create 2 avatars (you have room for 5 on Gehn), the first one could be called: "The Good Boy" and the second one could be called: "The Bad Guy". With the first one, you can play nicely. With the second one, you can do whatever you want with it!

I don't recall having not being able to play on Gehn NICELY because of the cliffhanging abilities. It's a PLUS God Damm!
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby Deledrius » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:56 pm

I see what you're saying Annabelle, but let me propose this:

We are (generally, if you're on this forum) experienced players. We know the game. We know the puzzles. We know what is meant to be, and what is beyond.

A new player does not know these things. I can remember my first play of Uru... way back in ABM. I didn't know where to go. I poked at everything. Sometimes I got stuck. I'd try wild ideas. The game didn't let me cheat by simply jumping over barriers, except when Cyan wanted me to. It kept me on the path, so that I didn't accidentally bypass a puzzle, or see something I shouldn't. I'm a pretty curious guy. It's why I'm here, doing the things with Uru I've been doing for (yikes) almost a decade. And with one notable exception that I can recall in Path of the Shell's Ahnonay, I don't think I ever saw beyond or sequence-broke in Uru. Stumbled on solutions, or kinda guessed my way through? Maybe once or twice. I'm glad for the most part I was able to solve it on my own. I avoided spoilers. I'm especially glad the game didn't let me accidentally poke my head where it didn't belong in any ways which were important.

Now I do understand that you love poking around and pushing the limits of the game's design. That's great. Most of us here have done that to varying degrees in our own ways... but you have to remember that those are exploits, even though you've made a terrific game out of it (especially in absence of any further proper game after all these years). They're not meant to be used by new players intending to play the game as it was meant to be played. It's fine for exploration of the game engine, but exploration of the game should be preserved or improved wherever possible. I hope you can see why this is important.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Gehn Shard