possible new bug - relto tree

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

possible new bug - relto tree

Postby Acorn » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:01 am

Today I noticed that my relto tree had suddenly accelerated its growth. It was previously short, but noticeable - probably waist-high - but it's now got to the missing bottom two branches stage. I'm pretty sure it must have skipped a few stages. Has anyone else noticed this happening?
Acorn

Re: possible new bug - relto tree

Postby Gwyn H » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:30 pm

I too have noticed rapid fir tree growth. Does the Guild of Writers have Miracle Grow? ;)

Gwyn
Gwyn H

Postby johnsojc » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:04 pm

Shhhhh... it's hiding in the code....
johnsojc

Postby Deledrius » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:20 pm

Not to my knowledge. I doubt the DST changes affected it, but that's the only thing which has happened lately. Either it's a minor SDL glitch or perhaps just a perception glitch. If anyone has screenshots and/or logs (especially logs) of before and after the jump, you can examine them for the change notification.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby johnsojc » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:51 pm

I peeked at the code and the part commented to grow every 30 days is commented out and different code that says to grow every day replaces it. If that's true then the tree should hit max height in just 10 days. I probably read the code wrong (as usual) but if true, this would explain it. I normally keep the tree turned off because I prefer the trees from Delin.
johnsojc

Postby Deledrius » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:20 pm

I'm pretty certain the comment is wrong. It appears that the tree should grow one unit every 15 days.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Wamduskasapa » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:49 pm

johnsojc wrote:I peeked at the code and the part commented to grow every 30 days is commented out and different code that says to grow every day replaces it. If that's true then the tree should hit max height in just 10 days. I probably read the code wrong (as usual) but if true, this would explain it. I normally keep the tree turned off because I prefer the trees from Delin.

I had not notice the growth of the Fir Tree because like johnsojc I prefer the Eder Delin trees and the relto page for the Fir Tree is disabled...
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby johnsojc » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:51 pm

That's what the code appeared to be doing to me as the only thing that changed was 30 to 15. I could not tell if the code would do all 10 steps or whether the growth happens whether you log in or not. The only other off-the-wall wild guess I have is that the wrong display image is being spawned.

I'm not sure which is worse... uncommented code or incorrectly commented code.

Riddle me this. I created my Gehn account 3 Mar. 22 days later my pine tree is at size 3. The last growth was 5 days ago on the 20th (if I did the math right). By my reckoning, I should only be at size 2.

Show Spoiler
johnsojc

Postby Deledrius » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:50 pm

johnsojc wrote:I'm not sure which is worse... uncommented code or incorrectly commented code.

I'd say incorrectly is worse. The Python scripts in general need a lot of cleanup and correction.

johnsojc wrote:Riddle me this. I created my Gehn account 3 Mar. 22 days later my pine tree is at size 3. The last growth was 5 days ago on the 20th (if I did the math right). By my reckoning, I should only be at size 2.

I haven't looked at the actual tree states... it's possible the active/visible tree start at size 1 not 0. Not sure. Or there's something I'm not considering with the rounding in division operations (or was that in Python 3.x?)

I can't seem to concentrate at the moment. Hopefully someone else who has poked around with the customizations like the tree (D'Lanor, diafero?) might know more.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby johnsojc » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:03 pm

I just checked the avvie I started a few days ago. Current size is 1 so I assume it starts at 1. Time of last growth was 3.45 days ago. I will try to keep an eye on it to see when it goes to size 2 which should be in about 12 days. This is hardly a priority problem but I've heard of some unexplained growth spurts even back on MOUL so I will see what I can find out.
johnsojc

Next

Return to Gehn Shard