possible new bug - relto tree

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

Re: possible new bug - relto tree

Postby johnsojc » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:32 pm

We know what but not why... <sigh>
johnsojc

Postby D'Lanor » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:40 pm

Acorn wrote:It's not saving the new time of last growth, so it grows again when I go somewhere else and then navigate back again to relto.

Except that lines like "(04/03 22:45:56) Dni time: 1333467954, last growth: 1333467954" show that it did get saved. It seems to reset between visits.

What the multiple lines with Dni time \ last growth also tell us is that the code under OnServerInitComplete is executed multiple times, which should NOT happen. /me thinks Dirtsand needs a bit of tweaking.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Acorn » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:49 pm

just a quick reply to johnsojc's questions - I think that there's nothing to stop it growing exponentially now it's started, because it keeps reverting back to that original date when it last grew, and that will trigger repeated growth. I expect that if I log in now it'll grow again as soon as I arrive - as it did yesterday. My assumption is that if I then just sit in relto and don't go anywhere, it won't grow again for 15 days, but if I leave and return it'll trigger each time. But I don't fancy sitting in relto for 15 days just to test this!

The first time I logged out, I had logged out and switched to my other avvie before quitting, (but I stayed with the same avvie during the course of the log extracts I posted up). The second time I stayed with the same avvie throughout, and quit rather than logged out.

Best of luck in 3 days' time!

Yes, D'lanor, sorry not to be precise, it does use the new time for when it last grew while I'm in relto but reverts back when I leave and come back.
Acorn

Postby johnsojc » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:10 am

My other avatar will hit 15 days in about 5.5 hours... I will try to run a test this afternoon. I will look for the lastgrowth value reverting...

Results of my test did not reproduce Acorn's experience bug discovered a new wrinkle...

Test120404 Show Spoiler

Bottom line is the last growth time got saved but the new size did not. I actually saw the larger tree and then it was smaller the next time I linked in.
johnsojc

Postby Acorn » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:59 pm

nice one, johnsojc! Even weirder than my glitch! The incredible shrinking tree!
Acorn

Postby johnsojc » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:25 pm

Perhaps this is related to the problems we saw with the vault DB getting hammered during the Pod Party. There might be conditions where an update simply does not get written into the SDL. In my test, the value of yeesha page 10 should have been set to 41 (I think this is the code that does it).
Code: Select all
        elif sizechanged:
            SDLVar.setInt( (size * 10) + state)
            AgeVault.updateAgeSDL(self.ageSDL)

Apparently this did not happen.

In your case, the last growth failed to update. I doubt the code for the tree has changed and I hesitate to point a finger at the DB process since I simply have no idea how it works. Something very wierd is going on.
johnsojc

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:33 pm

The vault DB was fine during the pod party... We had a choke point at a single mutex on the auth server. Getting rid of it is going to be pain.

On SDL, I have long suspected that some SDL issues didn't get cleared up in my SDL bug roundup just before launch. Particularly, I believe the Gira baskets are the result of some fields that are somehow corrupted in the SDL blob. It might be that our state merging process has a subtle bug, but I don't really know what's going on there, but obviously something is up.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby johnsojc » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:42 pm

IIRC, there have always been issues with the tree since MOUL. Reports of the tree either growing too fast or not at seem to rattle in the back of my mind. Gah! MOUL started up back in late 2006 (prelaunch). This is a minor irritation compared to other issues and we've gnawed on it about as much as we can just looking at logs.
johnsojc

Postby Acorn » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:35 am

[edit - I bumped this - it was originally posted around a year ago]

For completeness: the tree just grew from stages 5 - 9 in only 3 minutes, via visits to Ahnonay and to my wardrobe - the wardrobe visit triggered two stages because I ended up falling into the grey nothingness (which clearly counts as being on relto - and I get the fireplace sound effects while I'm there) and then had to use my relto book to get back onto the island. Let me know if you want any more log extracts. But I think you've probably got what you need.
Last edited by Acorn on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Acorn

Postby Acorn » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:41 am

I thought I'd bump this because my trees are still growing too fast. AcornGehn13 and 14 have recently had the same experience - once the tree has started to grow, all you need to do is jump off relto a few times and the tree reaches its (in my view ugly) maximum height in a matter of minutes. I always switch it off when it's full size, so it means I get to enjoy it for only a short time even if I don't deliberately trigger the accelerated growth by jumping off relto.
Acorn

PreviousNext

Return to Gehn Shard