KI Time Visibility Request

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

KI Time Visibility Request

Postby gabriml » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:28 pm

KI Time is either UTC-7 or during DST UTC-6. Better known as Mountain Time in the US. This is true for all the major shards.

Its always there ticking away in the background but it is not posted anywhere common.

Request KI Time (including the date and day) be posted (real-time) in the following locations:
1. On the login Dialog.
2. TOC forum header (the one shown above).
3. The KI interface in-game. Hey its supposed to be a watch and they do call it KI Time.

This would be helpful for new users as well as veterans for making and keeping appointments and events. We could see what time it is without having to have the definition memorized or have to search for the definition memorized and then calculate. It would be especially handy for European users since they are a day ahead during late night US time.

Many Thanks,

P.S. This is a re-post from the TOC-MOUL Forum http://the-open-cave.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=250
Mark Gabrielson
Gehn KI#: 28638
-----------------------
John Three Sixteen
gabriml

Re: KI Time Visibility Request

Postby Branan » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:52 pm

KI time is sort of a silly thing, and quite unique among online games - most of the others I've played just show you the local time in-game. I'd rather see us do that and convince the community switch to using UTC for coordinating events.

Spamming an arbitrary timezone in more places does not make the decision to use that timezone in-game any less stupid.
Your friendly neighborhood shard admin
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Re: KI Time Visibility Request

Postby gabriml » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:31 pm

It was pointed out to me that #3 is in place. Chalk that over sight to Old Guy Syndrome.

I agree that local time is great from an individual standpoint. Programs like 'Outlook' allow you to think and schedule in local time and the server handles the conversion. But we don't have an 'Outlook' type of context to work in and we have so many divergent systems to communicate with.

KI Time is 'the' common reference for scheduling appointments and events in URU. These shards cater to a global audience. Until a better solution is devised lets use what we have and even promote it. Request you rethink your objection.

Just a note: Entropia Universe is linked to UTC as its time base.

Thank you for your time,
Mark Gabrielson
Gehn KI#: 28638
-----------------------
John Three Sixteen
gabriml

Return to Gehn Shard