Gehn.7 Live!

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

Re: Gehn.7 Live!

Postby Luna » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:48 am

Ron Landry wrote:
Branan wrote:If you have a Pentium-4 or Athlon branded chip, you should check a program like CPU-z to find out if you support SSE3. I'll try to fix the detection routine inside URU so that it will properly alert you when your processor is too old, rather than crashing.

Oh yeah, its a good idea, if the launcher would detect and alert about a too old CPU. If you fix this URU inside routine, I will give you feedback, if it works or not. As I wrote, I'm using an AMD Athlon XP, produced until 2004 with SSE-Support, that is obviously not SSE3. Seems definitely as if I NOT have detected a hidden malfunction of Gehn.7 Live!, but a lack of hardware on my side. :lol: Good for Gehn :lol: (bad for me :roll: :evil:).

Tsar Hoikas wrote:My grandmother's PC qualifies...

Good 4 your grandma. It may be not prehistoric enough. :D

I actually just updated an old computer who had the same CPU. To be honest there are several programs who won't support it anymore, not just Uru.
Code: Select all
long longestTimeWithoutPlayingMoula = (new Date()) - (new Date(2014, 9, 26));
Luna

Postby Ron Landry » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:44 am

Luna wrote:I actually just updated an old computer who had the same CPU. To be honest there are several programs who won't support it anymore, not just Uru.

Maybe that's OT, but ... could you reveal, which programs?

From my experience there are lots of reasons (hardware and software) why a program will not work on a computer, not necessarily the CPU. A computer with a graphic based operating system (like Windows or Linux) is a complex system of combined hardware components with a likewise complex system of software components including dozens of specialized so called "drivers", which are hardware depending and absolute essential.

From this kind of view one can say it is nearly a miracle / a magnificent achievement, that such a complex system works fine, stable and proper. Thanks to thousands and thousands of hardware an software engineers.
... and so I close realising that perhaps ... the ending ... has not yet been written.
returned to the cavern as
MOULa KI#10215645 Ovaron / Gehn Shard KI#582269 Ovaron2
Ron Landry

Postby johnsojc » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:59 am

There is a nice list of supported processor chips in the wikipedia article on SSE3. (Useful if you know what processor is in your system ;) .)

Adding something slightly OT, is anyone using VS2010 to compile? Can you use 2010 or do you have to load VS2008? (just wondering as VS2011 beta is out :shock: .)
johnsojc

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:14 pm

VS2010 is used by most of the developers now... Though I recently switched to VS11 Beta and couldn't be happier (unless they would change the stupid UI to not suck).
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby johnsojc » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:24 pm

Great. Is the repository updated or are we still waiting for the new build?
johnsojc

Postby Ron Landry » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:05 pm

I've just installed Gehn.7 Live! on a Lenovo Notebook, which was bought in 2005, equipped with a Intel Celeron M360 CPU and Windows XP SP3. This CPU was introduced into the market in 2004. It supports MMX, SSE1 and SSE2 but not SSE3. While Uru Live! works fine, Gehn.7 Live! does not. That confirmes with what Branan has pointed out: "We now require a processor that supports SSE3".

My suggestion
Because the system requirements since Gehn.7 Live! are now definitely different from Uru Live! it would be helpful and user friendly, if the H'uru team could list the different system requirements for Gehn.x Live! on the GoW Gehn page -- as Cyan does it here. Actually possible new Gehn players will not be indicated to any information, that and why they may be able to play Uru Live! but not Gehn.x Live!
... and so I close realising that perhaps ... the ending ... has not yet been written.
returned to the cavern as
MOULa KI#10215645 Ovaron / Gehn Shard KI#582269 Ovaron2
Ron Landry

Postby Deledrius » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:54 pm

Ron Landry wrote:My suggestion
Because the system requirements since Gehn.7 Live! are now definitely different from Uru Live! it would be helpful and user friendly, if the H'uru team could list the different system requirements for Gehn.x Live! on the GoW Gehn page -- as Cyan does it here. Actually possible new Gehn players will not be indicated to any information, that and why they may be able to play Uru Live! but not Gehn.x Live!

A very good suggestion; I definitely agree. Thanks!
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Charura » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:07 pm

I can no longer play in the Gehn hood...My $ went to Cyan
Gehn Shard avvies: charura 10827 chickopee 142711 cannon belle 144577 char gearz 149794 teri dactyl 153077
Moul(a) Charura 55400 Chickopee 20089892 Cannon Belle 13686512 Char Gearz 706359 Teri Dactyl 12658065
Charura

Postby Luna » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:04 pm

Ron Landry wrote:
Luna wrote:I actually just updated an old computer who had the same CPU. To be honest there are several programs who won't support it anymore, not just Uru.

Maybe that's OT, but ... could you reveal, which programs?

From my experience there are lots of reasons (hardware and software) why a program will not work on a computer, not necessarily the CPU. A computer with a graphic based operating system (like Windows or Linux) is a complex system of combined hardware components with a likewise complex system of software components including dozens of specialized so called "drivers", which are hardware depending and absolute essential.

From this kind of view one can say it is nearly a miracle / a magnificent achievement, that such a complex system works fine, stable and proper. Thanks to thousands and thousands of hardware an software engineers.

The newer Second life viewers that by now everyone is kind of expected to use. They do support SSE2 I think, but not SSE.

Edit :
Also
- Autdesk software (Maya, 3ds max probably)
- Source dedicated server - for TF2 servers etc. (I think I heard Tomala complain about that)
Code: Select all
long longestTimeWithoutPlayingMoula = (new Date()) - (new Date(2014, 9, 26));
Luna

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:27 pm

Quick update on the new build--we're working on runtime SSE3 detection and fallback. We will push the build when this is vetted. Unfortunately, we're all somewhat busy in R/L as well (I know I have a monster lab report due soon), it will likely be Tuesday before anything is live.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

PreviousNext

Return to Gehn Shard