Bug Report: Cleft Not Completable

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

Bug Report: Cleft Not Completable

Postby calroger » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:05 am

I am an experienced explorer in MOUL and have come to know my way around the cavern fairly well. I have found most of the journeys, all of the sparklies, and all of the Relto pages. I have completed the four basic ages and retrieved Yeesha's final message and gifts. I have gotten all the markers and completed all the marker missions. I have gotten all the feathers.

On my first visit to Gehn, I found several problems which I will list below:
1. My avatar frequently gets stuck when there are no blocking obstructions. It takes a running jump to get free. I found this in the cleft and several places in the cavern.
2. Running down stairs, the avatar trips on the top step but doesn't fall.
3. After locating 6 of 7 journeys in cleft area, I find that the imager with blue button is not operating. I have activated the windmill and there is power. No symbols appear on the panel so I cannot set the code to
retrieve Yeesha's message and final journey.
4. Many linking books are missing. I have linked to Gahreesen from the book in the book room in the hood but it did not place a book on my Relto bookshelf.
5. There are linking books in Relto for Teledahn and Kadish but when opened, only a swirling black void is visible.
6. There is a delay when the avatar freezes before linking to another place.
7. I visited the Voshod (sp?) gallery. It is beautiful but I found nothing to do there.
8. The relto page for sticks and stones does not work. The page is in my book but no tripping nuisances on Relto. The image on the relto page is lighted (not dark).
9. In the cleft, there is a shimmering image of a book or linking stone on the bench next to the non-functioning imager with blue button.

There may be other problems I don't recall at the moment but I'll have to go back into the game again to find them.

I'll check back from time to time with more.

Y'all have a good day.

Cal Rasmussen

If this should be posted in a different location, please let me know and move this post accordingly.
calroger

Re: New User--Found Problems

Postby Deledrius » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:16 am

Thanks for the detailed notes!

calroger wrote:1. My avatar frequently gets stuck when there are no blocking obstructions. It takes a running jump to get free. I found this in the cleft and several places in the cavern.
2. Running down stairs, the avatar trips on the top step but doesn't fall.

Unfortunately these are bugs in the way the Ages were built (using a no-longer-available version of PhysX) that we've uncovered by fixing other bugs. We're looking to fix them with Cyan's permission, something upon which we are still waiting.

calroger wrote:3. After locating 6 of 7 journeys in cleft area, I find that the imager with blue button is not operating. I have activated the windmill and there is power. No symbols appear on the panel so I cannot set the code to
retrieve Yeesha's message and final journey.
4. Many linking books are missing. I have linked to Gahreesen from the book in the book room in the hood but it did not place a book on my Relto bookshelf.
5. There are linking books in Relto for Teledahn and Kadish but when opened, only a swirling black void is visible.

This is very odd behaviour which hasn't been observed by other players. Did this all occur during the same session of play? I'd definitely like to know more about this, because it's potentially very nasty (as you noticed).

calroger wrote:6. There is a delay when the avatar freezes before linking to another place.

There are some optimizations we need to do on the server end which can sometimes lead to slight pauses in linking. Generally the most lag is on the first link, but it is something we're looking into improving.

calroger wrote:7. I visited the Voshod (sp?) gallery. It is beautiful but I found nothing to do there.

Like much of the stock Uru game, there are places which exist solely for atmosphere and ambiance. Vothol is one such place. We hope to add new fan-made Ages to Gehn as time permits, some of which are likely to have more gameplay-related substance.

calroger wrote:8. The relto page for sticks and stones does not work. The page is in my book but no tripping nuisances on Relto. The image on the relto page is lighted (not dark).
9. In the cleft, there is a shimmering image of a book or linking stone on the bench next to the non-functioning imager with blue button.

These sound related to 3, 4, and 5. Were these all on the same session as well?

Thank you very much for submitting this report. Constructive feedback is very important to our efforts to improve Uru. I'd like to look into the problems you experienced with the non-working items. If you could zip up your Log folder and attach it to a post here, I would appreciate being able to look through them. You can find the log folder in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Uru - Gehn Shard. Thanks, and I hope we can solve these issues for you so that you can further enjoy what Gehn has to offer and help us make it even better!
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby calroger » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:29 am

All of these problems occurred during the same session. I went back today and checked the imager in the cleft but it still not working.

Cal
calroger

Postby johnsojc » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:35 am

I just started a new avvie and can confirm that the imager in the Cleft shows no symbols and is inoperative. It appears that the cleft book from the final Yeesha hologram in the Cleft is visible. There seems to be some odd collision areas around the imager.

johnsojc

Postby janaba » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:51 am

I am in the cleft in this very moment experiencing exactly the same, dear calroger and johnsojc, also the odd collision area
around the imager ... Thanks for the picture, now I can delete mine ... :P

Yeah, I'm sorry, that you're experiencing so many weird issues, calroger, though I cannot confirm any of the other
ones, the one in the cleft made me suspicious and I was astounded to find this as described by you and johnsojc ... :)

The linking book issue I've seen happening with someone before, I don't know if it was the TOC shard or Gehn,
and I don't remember the solution ... As this is so much, I'd in general recommend to try installing everything anew
and on a seperate partition, but maybe one of our programmers or more technically inclined explorers know some
more convenient solutions ... Wishing you good luck further on ... :P
janaba

Postby johnsojc » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:59 am

I checked with one of my more advanced avvies (that finished the Cleft) and the same problem with the imager and the holo cleft book are present.

Since Cal did not finish the Cleft, he did not get the 4 pillars and had no access to the Age books. It is normal behavior that if you go to an Age (via another book you don't own or via Bahro tablet) that an Age book appears on your relto shelf but the linking panel is the black whirl. Once you access that book from your pillar, it will update with a working link image.

Edit: I checked both the dry and rainy Cleft and the problem is in both versions
johnsojc

Postby Deledrius » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:10 am

Wow, okay everyone, thanks! If this is not an isolated problem it should be much easier to find the culprit.

I'm logging in now to test this out. Please stay tuned!

Edit: Uncompletable Cleft confirmed. We've identified the cause and are working on a solution.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby johnsojc » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:07 pm

In regard to Cal's mention of getting stuck on stairways and other area transitions and needing to jump to proceed, IIRC this was explained somewhere about slight incompatibilities between some of Cyan's (untouchable) files and the implementation of the physics used in Gehn. (Abject apologies if I misremembered this :oops: .)
johnsojc

Postby Deledrius » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:17 pm

That is correct. Between fixes in the overall physics code, and Gehn using a newer version of the PhysX engine (since the one Cyan used is not available any longer), the gaps that Cyan modelers left in many stairways are now causing trouble that before the engine was happy to gloss over. As I linked above, this inconsistency is documented but there is little we can do about it properly at this time.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby johnsojc » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:18 pm

Might this be a cause for the new problem?

(04/19 14:06:53) Python file clftImager.py was not found.
johnsojc

Next

Return to Gehn Shard