Sticks and Stones--NOT A BUG!

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

Sticks and Stones--NOT A BUG!

Postby calroger » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:38 am

In my first bug report, I stated that the "Sticks and Stones" relto page doesn't work. That is incorrect. I confused that page with the "dock" page which works fine. I have only found four relto pages thus far and all are working as advertised.

I am sorry if too much time was wasted on this item. I will try to be more careful with bug reports in the future and verify what I am reporting before I report it.

I appreciate the work that is going on here and if there is any way I can help, I've got lots of time on my hands and a relatively powerful SSE3 compliant computer.

Cal
calroger

Re: Sticks and Stones--NOT A BUG!

Postby janaba » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:54 am

So, welcome aboard, Cal, every helping hand and heart is very much appreciated, and let's have some fun ... :P
janaba

Postby Deledrius » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:12 pm

Good to know, thanks. Sometimes those relto page symbols are a bit... obtuse. ;)

Hopefully you'll be able to join us for more testing once Gehn.8 is out and the Cleft has been fixed back to its previous (working) state.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby johnsojc » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:17 pm

Ah. so the Cleft fix is on hold till .8 is out? I was wondering... Any timeline on a Release?
johnsojc

Postby Deledrius » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:09 pm

johnsojc wrote:Ah. so the Cleft fix is on hold till .8 is out? I was wondering... Any timeline on a Release?

Yeah, it's a minor fix which just requires a new build, but unfortunately several of the devs are currently out-of-commission this week (bad timing for the bug :( ) and the rest don't have access to the build system, as such. Luckily, there are a few more minor fixes being made in the meanwhile, so Gehn.8 should have a nice collection of fixes. As to when: hopefully Real Soon Now(tm). Sadly, I can't say precisely when.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby johnsojc » Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:24 pm

No problem. I am all too familiar with the way bugs time their appearance (I remember a service call I had to do one Dec 31st at 11PM). I shall amuse myself with my now working CWE build environment (does bewildered describe it well enough?) and contemplating building a test Dirtsand server.
johnsojc

Postby Annabelle » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:33 pm

/me wonder if in Gehn.8 we will get disturbed polygons or stressed out meshes

Just to add to my collections of enhancements I like to hear about :D
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby Lyrositor » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:12 pm

Llamas. We definitely need llamas. Maybe a llama Relto page?

Anyway, as far as I know, if you really want to finish the Cleft now, I think you could use an Internal client with the updated sources to complete it (it's just one line that's wrong in the Python for the Cleft). You might need to ask the Shard operators permission to use an Internal on their server, though.
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
Lyrositor
Director of Wiki Operations

Postby johnsojc » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:17 pm

That's a great question I've had in the back of my mind... what exactly is the shard policy about using an internal client on Gehn? I am trying to set up a test shard for my own use but my *nix knowledge is about 20 years out of date... the re-learning curve is monumental and severe.
johnsojc

Postby Paradox » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:36 pm

johnsojc wrote:That's a great question I've had in the back of my mind... what exactly is the shard policy about using an internal client on Gehn?

This sort of question is always a hard one to answer properly... An Internal client (on its own) isn't any different than an External client as far as how it interacts with the server. You won't break the shard by simply connecting with an Internal client.
The extra features that exist only in an Internal client might cause problems though. Most of the console commands only affect your client (showing physical regions, debug rendering flags, etc.) but there are some that go over the network and might cause problems for the server.

It's generally been considered polite to not Internal clients on public shards, especially because you can cause permanent server problems if you try to use some of the console commands without knowing how everything works.

It's also worth mentioning that Gehn uses a different product ID and build ID than MOULa, so you won't be able to use the same client executable between them.
Paradox

Return to Gehn Shard