Request: Location of Personal Folders

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

Request: Location of Personal Folders

Postby gabriml » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:58 pm

Request that the personal folder that contains folders KIImages, log, init, & Avatars be moved out of 'Local Settings-Application Data' folder to the 'My Documents' folder. MOULa uses the 'My Documents' folder for its personal folders. This makes it easier to get to your KI images and avatar photos.

Thank you,
Mark Gabrielson
Gehn KI#: 28638
-----------------------
John Three Sixteen
gabriml

Re: Request: Location of Personal Folders

Postby Paradox » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:33 am

gabriml wrote:Request that the personal folder that contains folders KIImages, log, init, & Avatars be moved out of 'Local Settings-Application Data' folder to the 'My Documents' folder. MOULa uses the 'My Documents' folder for its personal folders. This makes it easier to get to your KI images and avatar photos.

Thank you,

KI Images, Game configuration, and Log files are not documents, they are application data.

One of our biggest annoyances with MOUL and MOULa was that it cluttered up the Documents folder, which is why one of our first changes was to move it to Application Data.

That said, it would be nice to have KI images more easily accessible, but spreading files across multiple locations makes for more fragile code.
Paradox

Postby Deledrius » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:46 am

If you find it's personally important to have it easily accessible in the same location as MOULa improperly puts it, it's fairly trivial to create a shortcut in My Documents which points to %LOCALAPPDATA%\Uru - Gehn Shard. You can even put a separate shortcut directly to the KI Images folder in the My Pictures folder if you wish.

My Documents is simply the wrong place for the configuration and log files which make up the majority of the data stored there, which is why we moved it to the OS-preferred location of Local Application Data.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby gabriml » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:21 pm

Thank you for your response. I can live with it.
Mark Gabrielson
-----------------------
John Three Sixteen
gabriml

Postby Branan » Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:22 am

We discussed this in IRC a little bit. Although most of what Uru stores does belong in Application Data, the KI pictures really do not. We're going to move those to My Pictures.

If there is any other data anybody thinks is actually a document/picture/whatever, and not "Application Data" (maybe chatlogs?) let us know in this thread.
Your friendly neighborhood shard admin
Branan
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby D'Lanor » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:47 am

Branan wrote:We discussed this in IRC a little bit. Although most of what Uru stores does belong in Application Data, the KI pictures really do not. We're going to move those to My Pictures.

If there is any other data anybody thinks is actually a document/picture/whatever, and not "Application Data" (maybe chatlogs?) let us know in this thread.

How about Jalak column save files? Not that they are stored in application data but the program folder is not the proper place either.
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby gabriml » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:56 pm

My Pictures is good. Folder 'Avatars' has the current pic of the avatar(s). Those are also useful outside the URU context.

What about an 'export' folder for exporting those images passed to you from others. That could be inside the KIImages folder.
Mark Gabrielson
-----------------------
John Three Sixteen
gabriml

Postby Deledrius » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:10 pm

gabriml wrote:Folder 'Avatars' has the current pic of the avatar(s). Those are also useful outside the URU context.

Those are technically meant only for the game to use.

gabriml wrote:What about an 'export' folder for exporting those images passed to you from others. That could be inside the KIImages folder.

That would require adding new functionality to the KI UI (ideal) or some hacks in a KI command (not-so-ideal). UruLive stored them locally in the vnode_cache, but MOULa does not.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Return to Gehn Shard