Bug Report - Download failed after update to Gehn 9

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

Bug Report - Download failed after update to Gehn 9

Postby JanB » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:45 pm

Before the update everything was working ok last week.
After the update to Gehn9 I got the error "Download Failed: dat/Global Clothing_District Female.prp not found".

My MOUL setup is up to date and is working OK.

The prp file present in the MOUl dat folder is dated 29-5-2012 :23:24 Size 4.621 KB
My user has Full Control on that file
The file was missing in the Gehn dat folder.
To solve it I did an uninstall en reinstall.

JanB
Last edited by JanB on Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JanB

Re: Bug Report - Download failed after update to Gehn 9

Postby Lyrositor » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:04 pm

Okay, many people are posting the same problem over and over again, each time Gehn or MO:ULa has been updated. I think this needs to be made a sticky or something. :ugeek:

When MO:ULa gets updated and its data files (dat and sfx) are changed (which happens almost every update), new users (by this I mean users who have never used Gehn before the update) will be unable to connect to Gehn until an update for Gehn is released since their files will be out of sync. The admins of Gehn then need to rebuild some file manifests on the server and release a new update for Gehn, which users will automatically download. Until then, new users will keep getting error messages about download failures. Old users can keep using the old files until the new Gehn update is released, in which case...

When Gehn has been updated following a MO:ULa update, existing users will need to copy over the new dat and sfx folders from MO:ULa (probably only dat, since sounds effects are unlikely to be affected). Until you copy over the new files, you will keep getting error messages about download failures.

So whether you're a new user or an existing user, make sure you have the latest MO:ULa files available and that Gehn's file manifests have been updated to match those files. However, since there's always a small interval of time between a MO:ULa update and a Gehn update, you should always update Gehn, then copy over the new MO:ULa files.

This is not a bug. Do not report it as such. It is a limitation imposed by the current licensing situation which prevents redistribution of Cyan data.

EDIT: From now on, the GoMe will specify explicitly in all Gehn Shard update posts when you need to copy over your new files and when you don't, to avoid further confusion. Some versions of Gehn don't require updating them.
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
Lyrositor
Director of Wiki Operations

Postby Acorn » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:03 am

From now on, the GoMe will specify explicitly in all Gehn Shard update posts when you need to copy over your new files and when you don't, to avoid further confusion. Some versions of Gehn don't require updating them.

thanks, Lyrositor, this would help people like me who need to be reminded exactly which files to copy!

Aww, Acorn, I believe you forgot to copy the new MOULa 'dat folder' files from your
updated (1.912) Uru Live installation to your Gehn 'dat folder' as always, cause the
shard owners still have no Cyan license to redistribute PRPs ... Enjoy ...

(Thanks, Janaba!)
Acorn

Postby JanB » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:50 am

This is not a bug. Do not report it as such. It is a limitation imposed by the current licensing situation which prevents redistribution of Cyan data.

Given this current licencing limitation situation, which makes a copy and resync pocess needed after each update, I still consider it a sort of bug, in this temporary migration setup, when this happens after an update.
My (early explorer) MOUL setup was completely up to date and working. My Gehn setup v 8 was up to date and working too, until something obviously went wrong during that update to v9.
I hope that problem can be fixed anyway! ;)
JanB

Postby diafero » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:06 am

My (early explorer) MOUL setup was completely up to date and working. My Gehn setup v 8 was up to date and working too, until something obviously went wrong during that update to v9.
I hope that problem can be fixed anyway! ;)
No, it can't. Your Gehn setup is no longer up-to-date since Gehn v9 went live - and the licensing situation successfully blocks all attempts of auto-updating. It forces these annoying manual upgrades on anyone.
I prefer e-mails to "diafero arcor de" (after adding the at and the dot) over PMs.

"Many people's horizon is a circle with a radius of zero. They call it their point of view."

Deep Island Shard | Offline KI
diafero
Deep Island Admin

Postby Lyrositor » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:12 am

JanB wrote:something obviously went wrong during that update to v9.

Nothing went wrong. Re-read my post. It is normal for you to be unable to connect for some time. You need to update MO:ULa to 1.912, Gehn to 9, and then copy over your dat files from MO:ULa. I think you're slightly confused over the way this works:

JanB wrote:Before the update everything was working ok last week.

This is normal. You were still using the 1.905/1.906 files which you had copied over to Gehn's dat folder long ago.

JanB wrote:After the update to Gehn9 I got the error "Download Failed: dat/Global Clothing_District Female.prp not found".

Your Gehn client was looking for the 1.912 version of the file, but you were still using the 1.905/1.906 files. So it tried to download the 1.912 files from Gehn's server, but couldn't find it since it wasn't there (the only data on Gehn available for download is Vothol, a fan-Age).

JanB wrote:My MOUL setup is up to date and is working OK.

The prp file present in the MOUl dat folder is dated 29-5-2012 :23:24 Size 4.621 KB
My user has Full Control on that file

When you launched MO:ULa, it updated itself to 1.912.

JanB wrote:The file was missing in the Gehn dat folder.

The file was missing because when you downloaded the Gehn 9 patcher, it deleted the outdated file (still 1.905/1.906) and tried to find the 1.912 file on the server.

JanB wrote:To solve it I did an uninstall en reinstall.

By doing so, you took the long way around; Gehn copies over the appropriate folders from MO:ULa when it is installed. You could have just directly copied the dat folder and be done with it.

For all intents and purposes, yes, it can be considered a bug, but it is not a technical problem - it is a legal problem.
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
Lyrositor

Postby JanB » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:59 pm

I 'tried with copying the single .prp mentioned but then got another one still missing. I did the reinstallaion solution some time ago once, as was indicated in the forum, when there was a actual sync issue.

Your explanation - to copy the whole folder - might be worh to be published as a common workaround then, as more people obviously had some trouble solving the same issue.

Like the suggestion made by Ethan: http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 373#386373

It might avoid people giving up early for that reason only. Wich is regrettable regarding al the hard and good work you're still doing.
JanB

Postby Lyrositor » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:05 pm

An issue I've thought about is replacing that error dialog with a message explicitly stating what needs to be done to fix the issues, or, even better, something which solves it immediately by copying over files from MO:ULa. This would require a bit of coding, but I might be able to do it if I find the time to do it (a Guild Master can only do so much for two guilds! :P ).
Lyrositor
Explorer #16601888
Lyrositor

Postby Deledrius » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:02 pm

Lyrositor wrote:An issue I've thought about is replacing that error dialog with a message explicitly stating what needs to be done to fix the issues, or, even better, something which solves it immediately by copying over files from MO:ULa. This would require a bit of coding, but I might be able to do it if I find the time to do it (a Guild Master can only do so much for two guilds! :P ).

We could certainly add something informing the user to check.

Unfortunately, as I've said elsewhere, there's no way I can think of for the client to know the difference between a corrupt file and an out-of-date-file, since there should never be out-of-date files.

Then again, the case in which a file is corrupt is considerably more rare than the now quite common "lack of updating" so perhaps this is fine to assume the more common case in the error message?
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Return to Gehn Shard