Ideas and observations

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

Ideas and observations

Postby cskid13 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:47 pm

I have some ideas and observations.

Observations:
-I noticed that the Tre'bivdil book has replaced the Great Zero book, but the neighborhoods still have the Great Zero stained glass. When will the Tre'bivdil stained glass be implemented?
-Everything runs smoothly. I especially like that the door in the Watcher's Pub is now open!
-I tried to rename my neighborhood, but couldn't. Is this a bug, or do I just not know how to do it? I tried to change the name under neighborhood settings with the KI.

Ideas:
-Will the wall ever be fixed in Gahreesen? I know that someone wrote code for it for Uru:CC. I do not know, however, if the code would be easy to port to MOUL.
-I like the idea of opening up more areas in the city, if people have time to restore them. Also, maybe a KI marker could be added to Vothol Gallery.
-I'll look around for fan ages that I feel are "Cyan quality".
cskid13

Re: Ideas and observations

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:09 pm

The new stained glasses should be in the Neighborhood in the next update (which I hope will happen before the next All Guilds Meeting). Neighborhood renaming is disabled in the KI code, but this could probably be fixed--I guess it's never really been a priority since no one else has complained about it.

I like the idea of including a GZ marker in vothol, assuming it has ki coordinates. The only niggle in that plan is that we're not the creators of that age--we'll have to see if the age creator is on board with the idea.

There is some code floating around that makes the wall work on MOUL, but it was fairly buggy when I reviewed it. After we finish reworking GZ marker games and heek, I can take a look at the wall in more detail.

Sent from my HTC DROID DNA using Tapatalk 2
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Sirius » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:02 pm

Christopher got most client-side bugs fixed, IIRC. I didn't have any news lately, though. Better ask him.

However, Python-side, I fixed most of the Wall bugs for DI. I also wrote a MOUL version, so if one of your guys want to try and make it work, feel free.
Sirius

Postby D'Lanor » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:29 pm

Tsar Hoikas wrote:Neighborhood renaming is disabled in the KI code, but this could probably be fixed--I guess it's never really been a priority since no one else has complained about it.

It was disabled because of greifing. Suppose your neighborhood has a meaningful name which all the members have agreed upon in advance. Then a new member joins who turns out to be a greifer and keeps changing the name to something silly... you get the point.

So if you want to avoid that maybe you can finally make good use of the existing mayor (aka czar) system. IF the MOUL developers didn't break it somehow...

The mayor of the neighborhood is the player whose player ID (KI number) is in the UInt32_2 field of the age info node. In Python you can retrieve this ID with AgeInfoNode.getCzarID() Or at least that's how it worked pre-MOUL. Then just compare that ID with the local player ID and if it matches then bingo! It's our mayor, the only player allowed to rename this particular neighborhood.

Anyway, that was the easy part. Of course this will only work if the ID of the player who made the neighborhood in the nexus is actually added to the UInt32_2 field upon its creation. Is that possible?
"It is in self-limitation that a master first shows himself." - Goethe
D'Lanor

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:08 pm

Unfortunately, Cyan's network programmer broke age czars. We could fix them in the client, but that would mean only hoods created after the fix would be able to be renamed (on MOULa, at any rate. I'm sure we could tweak the Gehn database to have the correct age czar)

Sent from my HTC DROID DNA using Tapatalk 2
Tsar Hoikas

Postby Christopher » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:19 pm

Tsar Hoikas wrote:There is some code floating around that makes the wall work on MOUL, but it was fairly buggy when I reviewed it. After we finish reworking GZ marker games and heek, I can take a look at the wall in more detail.

I think I did some more work on this since you reviewed it and fixed the most bugs. We implemented this code on another shard and as far as I know it's working now (at least there were no more bug reports). If you want to review it again I first have to apply the latest changes to my repository on github. I neglect it a bit.

Christopher
Christopher

Postby Capella » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:40 am

I'd just like to add that I think neighborhood renaming would be nice to have eventually. Having to make an extra avatar with a certain name if you want to have a hood for a specific group is a little annoying, and being able to not have to do that on this shard would be a nice perk over the Cyan one.
Capella

Postby Ainia » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:42 pm

Shorah,

After today's birthday party, several future improvements come to mind:

1. Make the chat font easier to read on pale backgrounds (this is often overcome in other contexts by adding a dark edge to the font)
    2. Allow for custom conversation groups--in a crowded age, it's impossible to have a private conversation with more than one person at a time; it would be nice if we could create a small non-permanent group for chat during a large, busy party (e.g. be able to Ctrl-click multiple attendees)
    3. Change the timeout for the KI text line! It faded on me countless times while I was still typing a message to someone

Many thanks to all involved for a most marvelous party!!
ImageImage
Ainia

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:45 pm

Let's see... Neighborhood renaming is definitely on our wishlist as well. We've mostly just got to fix things so that only the hood creators can rename it (that should be fairly easy).

I definitely agree about the KI chat being hard to read on light backgrounds. CWalther mentioned several weeks ago that he wants to add a shadow to the text, which is what I think you're suggesting. He's a bit busy though, so I might take a look at it soon since I want to hold more of these events in the future. I'm also fairly interested in overhauling the way chat works. I'm not a fan of needing to shout at all, and I can understand your complaint as well. This one might have to go on the "wishlist" for now as there are a few other pressing things I'm looking at. Keep reminding me/us so we don't forget! On the same subject, I had no issues with chat fading out today, even when I went AFK for a very long time. Did you turn the chat fade time all the way up?
Tsar Hoikas

Postby Acorn » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:32 am

I confirm that I had my Ki chat messages fading yesterday while I was typing - it seemed to be a different phenomenon from the fading of the overall Ki ( ie the previous chat and the list of buddies etc) which was fixed by maxing the fade time setting. Sometimes I pressed return not knowing whether my message had disappeared completely, and it meant I had a few "oops" moments when my messages went out with typos or caps :oops:
Acorn

Next

Return to Gehn Shard