Preparations for Oculus Rift (Virtual Reality) support

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

Re: Preparations for Oculus Rift (Virtual Reality) support

Postby Sirius » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:57 pm

Too bad Andy left the community... With all the work he put in bringing Ages to UDK... I'm sure the result with the Rift would have been kickass.
:geek: ← Oculus Rift smiley

Well, Cyan wouldn't have approved anyway...
Sirius

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:32 pm

Just glancing at that list of things that need to be changed, we'd be looking at rewriting some of the largest subsystems in Plasma. While some of them probably should be rewritten (input and camera) and others will be rewritten (graphics pipeline), it's not a small undertaking. And I certainly never volunteered myself for those ;)
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Jojon » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:19 am

Hehe, there is also the matter of determining how little one can get away with doing. :7

I would, e.g. be okay with sacrificing headtracking alogether (although I suppose that might turn out not to be the hardest thing to get in there).

Anything UI, though... I'm sure having things like books and the chat stretch all the way across your field of view, with no way to at least turn your head to read, would make the game unplayable.
Ideally, any UI would be in-world, in a VR-adapted Uru (...as opposed to presented as an overlay), but that would certainly involve revising engine and content both, with the addition of an entirely new world/object interaction paradigm.

I'll be sure to look for- and try any generic sterodrivers that work with Uru and the Rift and report my experiences back here (and I'm sure Zerofool will, as well), but these drivers can no doubt, for starters, not do anything about FOV issues, or Uru's strange, squashed, aspect ratio. :7 (maybe somwehat, if the driver includes some sort of ugly crop-and-rescale trick...)
Might try building a test age with only cameras that have large FOV and unlimited rotation, predominantly first-person, and see how that looks. As for GUIs; we can't do overlay GUIs in PyPRP anyway, so... :7
Jojon

Postby Bronitel » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:46 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ok54KSE7Cs - I need to record a better copy of this once I get a copy of Fraps working properly, but tada! Headtracking, stereoscopic rendering and post processing working in Plasma on my Rift!

Quite a few problems left to sort out though. The head tracking is reversed along yaw and pitch which is why I'm moving my head oddly in the video. Interacting with hotspots in the world is iffy since I need to add support for close geometry that graphics and plates are drawn on, like the KI, telescopes, books and the cursor.

I'll update when the head tracking is around the correct way.
Bronitel

Postby dendwaler » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:15 am

Wow!

You did a great job Bonitel.!
Absolutely terrific.
This gives me another reason to buy the oculus once the highres version arrives for the public.
I can only hope are not sold out to soon.

To change the pitch and yaw should not be the most difficult part , you will that have done by that time.

I could already see the stereoscopic view in your video by squinting my eyes.
I am glad the video was not to long otherwise would have become headaches.

Lots of succes with the continuing of your developpement and please report your progress.
Those wonderfull Worlds are called " Ages" , because that is what it takes to build one.

Watch my latest Video Or even better..... watch the Cathedral's Complete Walkthrough made by Suleika!
dendwaler

Postby janaba » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:14 am

Welcome back, Bronitel ... that looks really great already ... :P

In NVidia's control panel Uru is even indicated as being 'superb' as of its compatibility with stereoscopic 3D rendition while Myst Exile and Revelation not at all as for 'excessive use of 2D which makes stereo look flat and even blurry' as is being said ... :)
janaba

Postby Jojon » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:02 am

Sweeeet! (to twenty-five)
Thanks!

Can't wait to see how legible Yeesha's spastic scrawlings are with the devkit's resolution. ;)
Jojon

Postby CalumTraveler » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:28 pm

It Liiiivesss! X33

That's pretty awesome that it can work, even if the directions are a bit backwards. :D

Can't wait to see it working properly!
CalumTraveler

Postby Bronitel » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:49 am

The backwards rotations are mainly because I'm taking the head rotation directly from the rift SDK and applying them to the engine camera. If I want to alter the yaw and pitch directly I have to break down the quaternion that the rift gives me into yaw, pitch and roll then I can flip the backwards axis. The only problem is applying this back onto the Plasma camera, which involves a bunch of converting and stuff.

It's been a hard slog through the engine, as this is the first time I've worked with Plasma at all but it's been really interesting to learn how the engine ticks. Surprisingly, there's no post processing happening at all (unless you count the linkin/linkout fades) so I've had to implement a post processing system in order to pull off the barrel distortion shader that warps the image for the lenses inside the Rift. In the future, we'll be able to implement other post processing shaders like ambient occlusion or colour grading with the same system if we want. Don't even get me started on the satanic rituals I had to perform in order to get stereoscopic rendering working. :twisted:

After the controls have been fixed (100% focus on this issue right now) I'll be moving onto figuring out how to render the foreground graphics. I have a few ideas for how to handle the KI but I'll need to get feedback from people in order to establish the most authentic AND realistic experience. It would be great to have your avatar body visible and have the KI spring up as a holographic panel that you need to look down at in order to focus on it.

If anyone can think of any other features that need to be implemented/tweaked to work in virtual reality then feel free to post them. :)
Bronitel

Postby Bronitel » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:36 am

You guys are probably sick of seeing Relto right now, but I solved the inverse head-tracking issues (was translating the camera twice - I'm an idiot) and recorded another video.

The reason why I haven't recorded anything outside of my Relto yet is because I had a very annoying bug where the Rift SDK was overriding the Plasma Z-distance values and making all skyboxes invisible. This has been fixed now (as of 3:30am - geez, go to bed already) but my rift is sitting at school so videos will have to wait until tomorrow.

Also, would anyone mind if I made a new topic for my development progress with the rift in the Plasma forum? I don't know if I'm putting these updates in the correct category.
Bronitel

PreviousNext

Return to Gehn Shard