shard down, 14 April 2013

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

shard down, 14 April 2013

Postby Acorn » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:19 am

Hi, everyone, the shard is down, did you know? :cry:
Acorn

Shard down again

Postby Sirrus233 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:31 pm

The shard was up a moment ago, but just went down again. Just a heads up!
Sirrus233

Re: shard down, 14 April 2013

Postby Sirrus233 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:19 pm

Woo, back up!

There seems to have been a lot of server downtime in the last week or two. I'm really new to the shard - is this common?
Sirrus233

Postby Acorn » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:38 pm

Sirrus233 wrote:
There seems to have been a lot of server downtime in the last week or two. I'm really new to the shard - is this common?

We need an authoritative comment from Tsar Hoikas, but in the meantime: while I've reported a couple of instances recently, I'd say this isn't common, no - usually when MOULa is down, both Gehn and Minkata are available.
Acorn

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:54 pm

It doesn't usually happen, but there is currently a bug in the dirtsand install that will bring the whole thing crashing down. I believe I've fixed that for Gehn 15 though (if we can only get that thing released...). I do check the shard a few times each day to make sure things are still running smoothly, even if I don't necessarily check the forums or post about it. ;)
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Sirrus233 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:49 pm

Hey, as a guy who works in the tech field, I have a crazy amount of respect for you guys managing the shard as well as you do. Is it helpful for us to post in the forums when the server goes down, or would you rather we didn't?
Sirrus233

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:06 pm

It's very helpful! If I forget to check the shard, the forum postings invariably get noticed, and the shard gets restarted. Hopefully the next server build will fix the last of the stability issues :)

Sent from my HTC DROID DNA using Tapatalk 2
Tsar Hoikas

Postby Ricard » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:18 am

I'm not able to get into Gehn right now.
Still not working from April 14?

The Gehn shard installer runs smooth as silk. When starting the shard, I connect fine, get the update and the license/login screen. When I login, however, I get an error message that I do not have PhysX installed or an older version. The first time I saw the error, I just clicked OK to install it. It looked like it was installing PhysX, I watched the usual PhysX install window, but what it really was doing is what I will call a "semi-uninstall".

After the "semi-uninstall", when I log in again, I get the message that there is NO PhysX installed. And this with all the other shards, too. I discovered that it looks like PhysX is not on my system. There is no listing under "Programs and Features" for it and no files in the Aegeia program folder.

But I cannot re-install. Re-install gives me an error that I must uninstall the existing version first. Clicking OK again to restart a shard, gives me an error that the wrong version of PhysX is installed. Clicking to fix it results in an endless loop of error message and install cycles with no installation. Properly un-installing is impossible because there is no listing under "Programs and Features" and no files in my Aegeia program folder.

I was able to fix it by getting a fresh download of PhysX and clicking on the uninstall.exe file in the download folder. Then re-installing. That puts me back where I started. PhysX is installed again. All the other shards work again, but not Gehn. Gehn is right back to the original error that PhysX is not installed.

I haven't visited in a long time, so I don't know how long I've had this situation.
I run 64-bit Windows 8.
...regards,
r'Ricard is Rodney Recor Gehn KI# 10531 ~
Typos in my posts really do not proove that I am stupid. Other things maybe, but not that.
Please, just bring me the blue pages.
Ricard

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:30 am

Recently, nvidia removed support for the version of PhysX we're using (2.6.4) from their mainline system software drivers. Have you tried installing the legacy driver? I expect that you've installed their newer package, and the PhysX_Setup.exe included with Gehn gets confused :?.
Tsar Hoikas

Postby Ricard » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:42 pm

Yes. That did it.
Thank you.

I had downloaded that sometime recently, but I didn't know what it was for.
r'Ricard is Rodney Recor Gehn KI# 10531 ~
Typos in my posts really do not proove that I am stupid. Other things maybe, but not that.
Please, just bring me the blue pages.
Ricard

Return to Gehn Shard