Bug Report: Crash on start-up

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

Bug Report: Crash on start-up

Postby Mairujyat » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:33 pm

I've been combing the forums, haven't yet found anything to help me work out exactly what's going on here.

The launcher loads up fine, and allows me to log in and everything, but as soon as I get past the EULA window, and it says "Starting URU, please wait", it goes to a black screen, followed by "URU has experienced a serious error and needs to close". I'm unable to locate the log folder, if there is indeed any, so I don't have any details beyond that regarding the nature of the crash.

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit on a Lenovo E530, 4 GB RAM, dual-core Intel i3-3110M at 2.40GHz. I've confirmed that MOULa runs absolutely fine on my system, so it's almost certainly some conflict involving the Gehn Shard launcher or something related to it.

Any help would be appreciated, whether it be directions to the log file, or directions to a post of a similar nature with a potential work-around. Thanks.
Mairujyat

Re: Bug Report: Crash on start-up

Postby Deledrius » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:16 pm

Have you successfully accessed Gehn before, or is this a new installation?

If you used the recently-updated installer, there should be a shortcut that will take you to the folder which contains, among other things, the logs. If not, you can find them in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Uru - Gehn Shard\Log.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Mairujyat » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:37 pm

I have not been able to access the Gehn Shard previously as this is my first time installing. Thanks to your help, I've managed to find the log files though. Main file of interest is likely crash.dmp, so sending that along as an attachment; changed the extension since the forum doesn't seem to like '.dmp' very much. Thanks much for the help so far!
Attachments
crash.txt
crash.dmp
(50.46 KiB) Downloaded 211 times
Mairujyat

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:42 pm

Hi Mariujyat,

Your crash appears to be happening deep inside the driver for your Intel graphics hardware. Have you tried updating your drivers?
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Wamduskasapa » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:12 am

I use and recommend Hardware Helper. This software program is Microsoft certified and created specifically for Laptop Computers. I run it weekly and it has so far, kept my Alienware Laptop up to date..
Computer = MotherBoard MSI X99S GAMING 7 - Intel I7-6950X
Dual MSI GeForce GTX 1080
64GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 Predator Memory
Dual Samsung 1TB SSD Pro - Dual Seagate 4TB SSHD
Excelvan 5.25" Multi-Function Media Dashboard
Wamduskasapa

Postby Mairujyat » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:06 am

Tsar Hoikas wrote:Hi Mariujyat,

Your crash appears to be happening deep inside the driver for your Intel graphics hardware. Have you tried updating your drivers?

Although the Intel drivers on their site are incompatible with my laptop, it was a step in a direction, not particularly sure how far it's gone to solving the issue. I went to Lenovo's site, got the appropriate drivers for my graphics chipset (Intel 4000 series) and OS, and updated. No dice, still crashing on start-up. Unlikely anything's changed in the crash report, but here it is, regardless. Thanks for all the help so far, guys!

Wamduskasapa wrote:I use and recommend Hardware Helper. This software program is Microsoft certified and created specifically for Laptop Computers. I run it weekly and it has so far, kept my Alienware Laptop up to date..

I'll look into it, though I generally have a distrust of software-managed updating. I tend to go well out of my way to update things manually (admittedly, I've been a bit neglectful of that duty lately). Thanks for the suggestion though!

Anyway, I'm not holding out hope here, and no idea if the Gehn server does anything different compared to the main MOULa client in terms of rendering the first in-game splash screen or something else entirely that could cause this issue... Anyway, let me know if this new crash log leads anywhere, otherwise I'll probably just wait for a newer version for the Gehn installer, see if something changes between revisions that somehow fixes things.
Attachments
crash.txt
(52.29 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
Mairujyat

Postby Luna » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:05 pm

How did you try to find the drivers on the intel site? Did use the utility or search on the graphics card?
If you did the former, could you please try to install the drivers from here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail ... pe=Drivers

The problem is that it seems like the drivers you downloaded from the Lenovo site are still outdated, notebook producers can be really bad at keeping their downloads up to date :/
Code: Select all
long longestTimeWithoutPlayingMoula = (new Date()) - (new Date(2014, 9, 26));
Luna

Postby Mairujyat » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:11 pm

Luna wrote:How did you try to find the drivers on the intel site? Did use the utility or search on the graphics card?
If you did the former, could you please try to install the drivers from here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail ... pe=Drivers

The problem is that it seems like the drivers you downloaded from the Lenovo site are still outdated, notebook producers can be really bad at keeping their downloads up to date :/

I tried the intel drivers when I was originally linked to the Intel site, made absolute certain I was getting the correct download and everything (exact download you linked, in fact). It immediately threw up an error after it finished extracting, told me "The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer manufacturer. Setup will exit."

So I went to Lenovo, hoping it actually was up to date/would actually do something. Likely going to have to wait for it to get brought up to speed, or go out of my way to unpack Intel's .zip version and attempt to manually update everything, but that's just a mess to go through.
Mairujyat

Postby Deledrius » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:25 am

I really hate that vendors never seem to keep their modified stuff current with the reference drivers. :\ It creates so many headaches both as a user, and a developer.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:33 pm

Something different appears to be happening (the file is bigger), but it's still deep inside the graphics driver. Google tells me that these drivers are notorious for blowing up for no good reason. I'm not really sure what's going on (and really can't be--there's no debug info available for the drivers, so I can't tell how it gets to the crash from the game code). :|
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Next

Return to Gehn Shard