Can't Start Game

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

Re: Can't Start Game

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:18 pm

If the repair tool is failing as well, then that implies something on your computer or network is blocking the game from connecting to both Gehn and MOULa. Try checking your firewall or antivirus to ensure it is not blocking the Gehn Shard's UruLauncher.exe.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby RockArdemar » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:49 am

[EDIT]: It worked and I was lucky enough to run right into the Party in the amazing new GoMe Pub. Excellent work, Doobes! :)
RockArdemar

Postby Malia » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:54 pm

Hello all, I just installed and the game doesn't launch. I get this screen very briefly and when the updater is done, it closes. No error message. No login screen.

capture_10082014_144058.jpg
Gehn
capture_10082014_144058.jpg (45.43 KiB) Viewed 6552 times

I have run the repair tool several times and it does the same, it runs and then closes with no error message to indicate why.

capture_10082014_145139.jpg
Gehn - Repair
capture_10082014_145139.jpg (43.56 KiB) Viewed 6552 times

I am unable to find anything blocking it in my firewall/antivirus, and my regular MOULa install still launches correctly. I'm using WinXP. Please help?
Malia

Postby Deledrius » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:44 pm

Unfortunately, as Windows XP is no longer supported, the Gehn Shard client requires Windows Vista or newer to run. We are sorry for the inconvenience, and recommend extreme caution using an unsupported OS online.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Malia » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:45 am

Oh well, I guess I can uninstall it then. Thanks for letting me know.
:(
Malia

Postby SpiderFish » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:46 pm

Hello,

My friend and I attempted to install the Gehn Shard the other night, but encountered the same problem Malia has just described. We did all of the steps outlined here http://forum.guildofwriters.org/viewtopic.php?f=117&t=5631 by Deledrius. After completion of these steps, we then tried to run the Shard itself. It consistently starts up with the "downloading urulauncher.exe.tmp" screen, but after that finishes, the application just quits itself. I am running Mac OS 10.6.8 and he is running 10.8.8. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
SpiderFish

Postby Ainia » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:59 pm

What they said.

I'm running Gehn in a Wineskin wrapper from a Mac and now am seeing these symptoms too.

I've fiddled with the wrapper's WinOS settings to no avail. Is there a fellow Mac person out there who has figured out the fix for this?? Please help, I need my Myst!!
ImageImage
Ainia

Postby Ja'ra » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:37 pm

Deledrius wrote:Unfortunately, as Windows XP is no longer supported, the Gehn Shard client requires Windows Vista or newer to run. We are sorry for the inconvenience, and recommend extreme caution using an unsupported OS online.

I am not sure if this is a move in the right direction. Considering the age demographics of the "MYST series generation", there are many MOULa users sticking with the Windows XP and not really planning to upgrade anytime soon, if ever. As for me, I will just play MOULa and Deep Island (Thank you, Diafero!), possibly offline Myst Uru CC with all Drizzle downloads available, and possibly install Vista as a secondary boot only if the upcoming Obduction (next year?) will not run on XP and/or older versions of Windows. Peace. :-)
Ja'ra

Postby Ainia » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:54 pm

Ainia wrote:What they said.

I'm running Gehn in a Wineskin wrapper from a Mac and now am seeing these symptoms too.

I've fiddled with the wrapper's WinOS settings to no avail. Is there a fellow Mac person out there who has figured out the fix for this?? Please help, I need my Myst!!

Checked again last night and things were working properly. :? I have no idea what might have gone wrong earlier but I'm keeping fingers crossed that it was just a hiccup.
ImageImage
Ainia

Postby Luna » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:57 am

Ja'ra wrote:
Deledrius wrote:Unfortunately, as Windows XP is no longer supported, the Gehn Shard client requires Windows Vista or newer to run. We are sorry for the inconvenience, and recommend extreme caution using an unsupported OS online.

I am not sure if this is a move in the right direction. Considering the age demographics of the "MYST series generation", there are many MOULa users sticking with the Windows XP and not really planning to upgrade anytime soon, if ever. As for me, I will just play MOULa and Deep Island (Thank you, Diafero!), possibly offline Myst Uru CC with all Drizzle downloads available, and possibly install Vista as a secondary boot only if the upcoming Obduction (next year?) will not run on XP and/or older versions of Windows. Peace. :-)

The problem is that we can't easily use new features in the code to improve things like performance and the codebase in general while suporting XP. As XP support is probably going to drop in general now Microsoft doesn't support it anymore (which makes it a really dangerous to connect to the internet with a XP computer! Any security flaws that are found are not going to be fixed*), the decision was made to drop support too.

I undertand that it might be hard to upgrade and that if you look at Windows 8 it all seems very alien, but Windows 7 is a good solid OS that isn't that different from XP, so please consider it. I'm sorry, but in these times you can't really say anymore "I'm old I don't want to learn a new OS" it leaves you very vunerable.

Also the demographic varies wildly, there are also people who played Myst or Riven as kids or who only started with one of the newer games.

Edit: Forgot to put my * point in so here it is.
* it's like using a lock on your door and the model is now outdated, burglars learnt how to lockpick it, but you aren't replacing it because you like the lock.
Last edited by Luna on Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Code: Select all
long longestTimeWithoutPlayingMoula = (new Date()) - (new Date(2014, 9, 26));
Luna

PreviousNext

Return to Gehn Shard