Windows XP

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

Windows XP

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:49 am

I posted on the MOUL forum about the rapidly approaching death knell of Windows XP. I understand that not all of our users wish to visit that cess pool, so here is my post in full.

As of TODAY there are sixty days remaining of Microsoft support for the Windows XP operating system. From April 8, 2014 onward, you will no longer receive any security updates from Microsoft for your operating system. This means that you will be a sitting duck for malicious users, botnets, viruses, etc. that wish to gain access to your machine for nefarious purposes, such as hacking the Pentagon and launching a DDOS attack at the FBI.

A quick google search for ways to migrate from Windows XP reveals several useful articles on the subject. This one looks pretty good at a glance. For those of you worried about Windows 8, 8.1 mitigates some of the most onerous changes, and 8.1 update 1 (enough 1s for you?) slated for April 2014 appears to make things even more appealing.

Whatever you chose to do, remaining on Windows XP is absolutely not an option. It's time to get cracking.

More interesting to open source shard users, both the Gehn Shard and TOC will be absolutely dropping support for Windows XP after that date. It may work for a time, but the next update for both shards will cause it to just not work(TM).
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Return to Gehn Shard