Gehn.20 Live!

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

Re: Gehn.20 Live!

Postby Ehren » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:48 pm

Doobes wrote:Any and all feedback is very much appreciated and will be added to the "to-do" list, so please keep writing down anything you notice that's a bit...off.

The pub is mostly a genius mix of Cyan's style/meshes/textures (making it feel like it really makes sense as a part of D'ni) and originality! But, if you want full honesty about something looking off...

I do think the city view outside the window looks rather off. Right now the view seems way too low to be located from the Guild Hall (that is where this pub is supposed to be right?). While the arch and library WOULD be visible from the guild hall, you should have to be close to the window and looking a bit down...

I think the 2D city billboard needs to be moved down at least some, so that the view looks a bit higher. If you are concerned about losing too much of the see-able city, maybe the window should be made a bit bigger or moved lower so that the scene can be more properly looked downwards at?

If the window is left small and higher up, a general cave background might be more realistic to the spacial layout of the cavern...

Here's an image to show roughly how much difference that I think the view would need to look more realistic to that height. Showing where I think the arch would be by the quick red drawing. But I feel that even a more modest adjustment could look a lot better.
archlocation.jpg
archlocation.jpg (98.48 KiB) Viewed 4870 times
Ehren

Postby Deledrius » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:40 pm

I think you misunderstand the intended placement for this location. As I recall in my discussions with Doobes, this Pub is located in the rocky structure below the Guild Hall, where visible windows pepper the rock face. It's with that in mind that the precise angle and location for the backdrop was determined and rendered.

Perhaps someday we'll see the GH structure, but this content is not it. :)
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Ehren » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:44 pm

Deledrius wrote:I think you misunderstand the intended placement for this location. As I recall in my discussions with Doobes, this Pub is located in the rocky structure below the Guild Hall, where visible windows pepper the rock face. It's with that in mind that the precise angle and location for the backdrop was determined and rendered.

Perhaps someday we'll see the GH structure, but this content is not it. :)

That is a LOT farther down than I was thinking, I guess I thought it was just supposed to be a small location of the guild hall building itself. But now I have to think you're right because I found a set of three windows that perfectly match the style of the windows in the new pub, and are facing the same view:
dniwindows.jpg
dniwindows.jpg (57.63 KiB) Viewed 4862 times

I thought I recognized that window texture from somewhere. There is at least one other set of three windows like this, but its view wouldn't match. That's really pretty cool he chose an exact spot like that!
Ehren

Postby Tweek » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:58 am

Ok, just to put my lore hat on.

The Guild Hall does not contain any guild pubs. It contains offices for the 18 guilds and the council chamber. The Guild Hall houses 6 wings with 3 windows, each wing houses 3 guilds. Each of the 3 windows is of a different guild office.

The guild hall is not the only place in D'ni the guilds operate out of, they had establishments all over the cavern and Ages that they worked out of.
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Postby Sirius » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:14 am

I recall reading these pubs (as well as Rolep/Great Tree Pub) are located in J'Taeri district on Ae'Gura. And as far as I know, J'taeri is the highest district on all Ae'Gura, above the guild hall itself. With flymode, you can see a flat plazza east of the GZ, northeast of the guild hall, above everything else (you can also see paths carved in the rock mesh here, and another plazza below). I believe this is J'Taeri. Don't take my work on it, though. I'm not 100% sure, and there aren't many infos about it either.

About the Guild Hall... I wish we could have this, instead of the old billboard in the city. But then again, there are many things I'd like to see in D'ni, such as the city proper...
Sirius

Postby Tweek » Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:03 am

The Great Tree pub/Watchers Sanctuary is in J'Taeri. Rolep is a different location in the cavern, people got confused by words of the Watcher with the tree in the Watchers Sanctuary and went "zomg same place!" and unfortunately that misconception has persisted over the years.

I'm not sure the Guild pubs are supposed to be in J'Taeri though. It's possible people are making those assumptions based on KI coordinates which isn't reliable given the pubs are copied from the Watchers Sanctuary. To be honest, given that the Guilds had houses throughout the cavern and the sheer amount of people in the guilds, the pubs could easily be pretty much anywhere in the cavern.

The neighbourhoods all have the same KI coordinates as well despite being multiple locations along the cavern wall (and not instances like many claim due to said KI coordinate issues).
Beneath - IC Blog.
Beneath: Ages of Tweek - FB Age Dev Page.
Tweek

Postby Karkadann » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:18 am

Does any one know if the KI coordinates are related to the xyz location in the graphics program?
The Optimist see's the glass half full, The Pessimist see's the glass half empty.
Its the Realist who see's the glass is half full with air, half full with water
Karkadann

Postby Deledrius » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:18 am

Karkadann wrote:Does any one know if the KI coordinates are related to the xyz location in the graphics program?

AFAIK, the KI coords are derived from the location of the object with a maintainer's marker component (under 'type' in Max).
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Flynt » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:33 am

Deledrius wrote:Your avatar is stored on the server and won't be lost due to a reinstall. You could try running the repair shortcut if your installation is new enough to have one. If not, running the Gehn installer should fix your problems.

Well that give me some comfort.

Anyway, tried reinstalling and apparently my virus protection is deleting urulauncher as a threat. Any ideas as to why?

Also, weren't the instruction posts for installing Gehn always stuck at the top of the forum? Don't see them there anymore.
MOULa KI: 2719885
Deep Island KI: 00181606
Gehn KI: 00106063

Flynt

Postby Deledrius » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:08 am

Flynt wrote:Also, weren't the instruction posts for installing Gehn always stuck at the top of the forum? Don't see them there anymore.

There's a link at the top of every page on the site to the instructions: Gehn Shard
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Gehn Shard