No sound in Gehn Shard and weird graphics

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

No sound in Gehn Shard and weird graphics

Postby evansu1337 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:15 pm

Hi! I'm evansu1337 and I have to report that I have no sound when I go onto Gehn Shard. I have uninstalled and reinstalled several times and have had no joy. I have Windows 7 Premium edition (which has no XP mode unlike the professional edition,) and up until shortly after the 2.0 update, everything worked fine.
Also my graphics go very squirrelly and my computer now won't let me enter the game. I have neither of these problems with any other games ( including MOULa) nor with anything else that I run on my computer.
Please help!!
evansu1337
evansu1337

Re: No sound in Gehn Shard and weird graphics

Postby Kyranae » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:13 pm

Both myself and my girlfriend also have no sound. The sound modes in the audio options menu show "none."

I actually fixed this with these steps:

Go to the Uru Live (NOT GEHN SHARD) directory. (Default is C:\Program Files (x86)\Uru Live\ )
Copy both OpenAL32.dll and wrap_oal.dll into the Gehn Shard folder (Default is C:\Program Files (x86)\Gehn Shard\ ) and overwrite the old file.
Right click OpenAL32.dll and set the checkmark to Read Only. If you don't set this the launcher will overwrite it.

Hopefully there is an official fix for soon. When there is an official fix you will need to uncheck the read only checkbox from the OpenAL32.dll file and run the launcher again to get the official file back.
Kyranae

Postby fchall » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:15 pm

Kyranae wrote:Both myself and my girlfriend also have no sound. The sound modes in the audio options menu show "none."

Go to the Uru Live (NOT GEHN SHARD) directory. (Default is C:\Program Files (x86)\Uru Live\ )
Copy both OpenAL32.dll and wrap_oal.dll into the Gehn Shard folder (Default is C:\Program Files (x86)\Gehn Shard\ ) and overwrite the old file.
Right click OpenAL32.dll and set the checkmark to Read Only. If you don't set this the launcher will overwrite it.

Hopefully there is an official fix for soon. When there is an official fix you will need to uncheck the read only checkbox from the OpenAL32.dll file and run the launcher again to get the official file back.

Did that this morning and still NO SOUND.
Any other possible fixes?
Thanks
fchall

Postby evansu1337 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:36 pm

fchall wrote:
Kyranae wrote:Both myself and my girlfriend also have no sound. The sound modes in the audio options menu show "none."

Did that this morning and still NO SOUND.
Any other possible fixes?
Thanks

Thanks for getting back to me with the tip. Unfortunately, it made no difference. My graphics seem to have cleared up, but I still have no sound. Sigh... :(
evansu1337

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:20 pm

Hi all, with Gehn 20, we updated a lot of our build tools. The component we were using to play audio was unavailable when we did this rebuild, so we used an alternative that appears to suffer from problems like this. I checked the other day and the old audio component was available again, so I will switch us back to the old, working component with the next Gehn release.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby evansu1337 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:39 pm

Tsar Hoikas wrote:Hi all, with Gehn 20, we updated a lot of our build tools. The component we were using to play audio was unavailable when we did this rebuild, so we used an alternative that appears to suffer from problems like this. I checked the other day and the old audio component was available again, so I will switch us back to the old, working component with the next Gehn release.

Muchas Gracias, Tsar Hoikas. I do so love playing in Gehn Shard. I'm still trying to configure my computer to the point where I can get some of the other shards to work, but for now and the foreseeable future (I need to upgrade to Win7 professional and it's expensive) I only have Gehn Shard to get my extra fun. I love hanging in the Messenger's Pub, it's awesome and since it's unlikely that MOULa won't be having anything new on it until we have Obduction to get our attention, Gehn Shard is where I spend a lot of my time, not just when I can't get on to MOULa. The graphics are so much sharper and I've managed to meet up with a couple of people in there who don't seem to play in MOULa, so it makes it more fun finishing off the ages. Plus collecting the Sparkies now.
It just is not the same without the sound, so I will be so happy to get back to a fully functioning Gehn Shard again!
Thanks again! :P
evansu1337

Postby fchall » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:18 pm

Tsar Hoikas wrote:Hi all, with Gehn 20, we updated a lot of our build tools. The component we were using to play audio was unavailable when we did this rebuild, so we used an alternative that appears to suffer from problems like this. I checked the other day and the old audio component was available again, so I will switch us back to the old, working component with the next Gehn release.

Many Thanks. :D
fchall

Postby evansu1337 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:59 am

Hi Adam! Do you have any idea when the next release will be, please?

evansu1337

Postby Szark » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:52 am

I loaded (installed) Gehn yesterday and didn't have any sound, so I ran the Gehn Repair which got the sound working
Szark

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:02 am

evansu1337 wrote:

Hi Adam! Do you have any idea when the next release will be, please?

I expect that it will be within the next month...
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Next

Return to Gehn Shard