Bug Report: GZ Nexus Link Missing

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

Re: Great Zero Linking Book

Postby Deledrius » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:18 pm

Ehren wrote:
Deledrius wrote:...having a D'ni book linking from the cavern to the cavern is a violation of D'ni linking rules.

Just steal a Great Zero book from the Nexus machine and carry it with you while linking to a neighborhood?

Have you tried unbolting a book from that machine? It's scary how well-attached they are! The D'ni must have been very afraid of people stealing those mass-produced Linking Books. :lol:

Maintainers are so paranoid. :shock: :roll:
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Swifton » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:34 am

Sorry if I seem upset but I spent sixteen hours looking for that book. The egg room doesn't work and I hit every age thinking I missed something only to find out it doesn't exist for us because some one replaced it with that block age over semantics. Yeah I think that would upset anyone. But thanks for the offer though I don't see how you can take me there if the only link is in the nexus and you can't share that book. Is there another link somewhere?
Swifton

Postby Deledrius » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:42 am

Swifton wrote:it doesn't exist for us because some one replaced it with that block age over semantics.

That is an incorrect summary of the situation, which is what I was trying to explain. It doesn't exist because of a recent bug which you have unfortunately stumbled onto. The Nexus link has worked correctly for years, and it's simply a matter of coincidence that you happened to attempt a new Explorer during a time in which it's broken. I'm sorry that my post to another explorer seems to have confused you so deeply on the circumstances of your frustration.

Swifton wrote:thanks for the offer though I don't see how you can take me there if the only link is in the nexus and you can't share that book. Is there another link somewhere?

I can take you there because I'm a shard admin and I can help you work around the bug temporarily until we make a permanent fix. I've been working on identifying the cause of the problem since I woke up this morning; we do take bugs like this very seriously, as our goal here is to provide a superior gameplay experience. Unfortunately it was only just reported yesterday, and I'm the only one with time to spare solving it today.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Swifton » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:58 am

confused me so deeply? lol tell you what friend if you wish to be insulting just do it plain and simple and leave the passive aggressive implications out of it.

I am not now nor was I ever confused. If the book was where it was supposed to be in Bevlin there would not be an issue in the first place.

I never once implied any malicious intent on your part. your so busy trying to read in between the lines you miss what is right in front of you. Rude? Got to tell you. If I wanted to be Rude I would do a far better job at it than in my original post. I stated things as simply as I could. perhaps had you not been so defensive you would have seen that.

I do apologize if I caused you any deep confusion from the plain and simple text I am using. go back to that last sentence. that was indeed rude and insulting. see? I know how its done as well.

Although I do regret the misunderstanding we are having I am not about to sit here and take passive aggressive hostility from anyone. even an admin. We seem to have gotten off on the wrong foot you and I. Perhaps in the future we will have better luck.
Swifton

Postby Deledrius » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:38 am

I do not wish to be insulting, so I believe there has indeed been a misunderstanding. If I am terse it's because I'm attempting to debug this problem. For some reason the Nexus is deciding that new explorers have no access. I've tracked down where this is going wrong, but am still working on the why.

If the book was where it was supposed to be in Bevlin there would not be an issue in the first place.

This is a slippery slope. We've made countless improvements to the game and its engine. You could just have easily stumbled into a bug involving SDL which would have hidden the GZ book in the 'hood, but you did not. I'm very sorry that you spent so much time looking for something that you knew exactly where it should be and found it missing; I know I'd be pretty frustrated too. The fact that we've made improvements to the flow of the game is just as separate and connected as anything else, from a wide enough perspective, and all can be subject to human errors.

We seem to have gotten off on the wrong foot you and I. Perhaps in the future we will have better luck.

Indeed. I hope we will. :)
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Re: Bug Report: GZ Nexus Link Missing

Postby Deledrius » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:45 am

We have some good news, and some almost-good news!

The good news is that Hoikas found the root cause of the problem and corrected it last night. All new avatars from this point on, and existing avatars created before the last Gehn update, should correctly have the links to the GZO in their Nexus as expected. Also, we suspect this error might have also been the cause of the recent downtime, so hopefully we will see the shard return to its usual stability.

The almost-good news is that we're working on a solution to grant the link retroactively to the avatars made while the auto-grant code was missing, but it has not been finished and executed yet. If you are one of our explorers affected by this, we appreciate your patience as we work to rectify the problem for you. The per-user fix is simple, but applying it to the DB across all affected users safely is somewhat more complicated. ;)
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby janaba » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:32 am

This is absolutely awesome news, Deledrius and Adam ... Congratulations! ... I can also immediately confirm that it definitely works as I've just deleted my latest avatar from a couple days ago and created it anew and I've just sent the great news to BellaD from inside the 'Great Zero Observation' antechamber ... /cheer ... She told me that you, Deledrius, helped her to get her first bunch of markers, she's now waiting for getting the next lol, great job and cooperation, everyone ... :)
janaba

Postby BellaD » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:47 am

That's great to hear! Too bad it doesn't apply to me, Yet. I have all the green. Need to register them and get the red lights.
BellaD

Postby Deledrius » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:47 pm

janaba wrote:I can also immediately confirm that it definitely works as I've just deleted my latest avatar from a couple days ago and created it anew and I've just sent the great news to BellaD from inside the 'Great Zero Observation' antechamber

Excellent! Thanks for confirming it. That's very good to hear. :D

janaba wrote:She told me that you, Deledrius, helped her to get her first bunch of markers, she's now waiting for getting the next lol

Hopefully soon. I have a working solution that I've tested on my local server, and I'm waiting for some other eyeballs to double-check my work and if it's good we can get everyone fixed up ASAP.

BellaD wrote:That's great to hear! Too bad it doesn't apply to me, Yet. I have all the green. Need to register them and get the red lights.

Yeah, sorry about that. The GZ Link is supposed to be added to avatars when they're created, nice and easy. To fix it for existing avatars, I had to put together a plan for finding just the ones who are missing it in just the right way, and carefully add it to them without accidentally bumping into anything else. ;) You should be able to continue your quest soon, I hope. :D
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Deledrius » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:05 pm

Hoikas had time today to execute the plan, and it would appear everyone affected by the bug should now properly have their GZ links in the Nexus as the D'ni intended. Go forth, and complete your Red and Green Marker Missions! Please let me know if you have any further problems with this matter. :)

Happy Hunting!
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Gehn Shard