Gehn.21 Live!

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

Gehn.21 Live!

Postby Deledrius » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:21 pm

Changes in this build:
  • Automatically bump public Neighborhoods when someone links in.
  • Fix missing visuals in public instances of Gahreesen.
  • Fix password-forgetting.
  • Fix some crashes related to heap corruption.
  • Restore video functionality.
  • Revert to Creative's OpenAL to fix some issues with missing audio.
  • Tweak the Messenger's Pub.
  • Synthesize wavelets.

Note: Due to the updated account code, which now uses Windows' built-in credential storage, your previously-saved account name and password will need to be re-entered the first time you play after this update. Thankfully, this change means you will no longer need to re-enter it every time you insert a removable drive or CD/DVD into your computer.

Additionally, this update should address the numerous users having difficulty with sound due to the use of OpenAL Soft in our previous update, Gehn 20. We apologize for the delay.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Re: Gehn.21 Live!

Postby jamie_marchant » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:33 pm

Great work! I love the fact that you can now see the videos and it seems you have the new Cyan logo. What did you use to replace Bink?
Last edited by jamie_marchant on Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jamie_marchant

Postby Deledrius » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:41 pm

We're using the open standard WebM for video, featuring VP9 video and Opus audio.

As a bonus, tools to create videos utilizing this format are widely and freely available, so content creators should have a much easier time than before if they plan to use video content.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby jamie_marchant » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:44 pm

Neat :)
jamie_marchant

Postby janaba » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:17 am

Hi, everyone, and congratulations for an ever improved and enhanced Gehn release ... :P

Most of the improvements do not apply to me, but are great for everyone else, like the audio and visual enhancements, the resolved password-forgetting issue as well as specific crashes. I assume the bumping of newly visited neighborhoods has been tested sufficiently by yourselves and will work flawlessly ... So, there remains the video functionality, which is great, and of course to have Yeesha's introductory tour for all newly arriveds will be wonderful to have esp. on MOULa, but also the ability to dismiss it with 'Explore Uru' comes in handy ... :)

(oh, and I've read your Wiki link for the WebM, Deledrius, very interesting stuff ... they even use that as a file extension, 'webm' I mean, and the VLC media player can handle it ... great! ... :geek: )

I, of course, looked into the really new GoM Pub ... Doobes, you really have outdone yourself once again and put much much effort, energy, time and excellence into this update ... no, this is not just an update it's an upgrade of a few levels ... Wow!!! ... and don't say others told you so ... you have done that and you've done that very well ... :D

No, really, when I compared the new pictures to my older versions I almost fell off, it is almost unbelievable ... When you knew the pub from before and log into the pub you expect awesomeness and you'll see just that, awesomeness, but if you look closer you'll see that something profound has changed and that much has been overhauled almost completely ... the textures and styles, the lighting, the shadows, the colors etc... and as Adam already said at the AGM, much shiny stuff, which you see on the floors (as has happened to the Vothol Gallery) and look at and into the noble bar or the alcoves etc. etc. ... Other than that the conference room comes to mind, where you now can run and jump about everywhere easily without getting stuck in armchairs etc ... Great, great job, Doobes, please accept that compliment ... 8-)

And of course, Kudos and awesome job once again to the H'Uru team for implementing this and more and making it accessible to all ... :)

I didn't take too many pictures of the GoM pub this time, but I'm glad I did take some, so, here are a few of them ... Enjoy ... :P

Show Spoiler
janaba

Postby Charura » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:23 pm

Where is the GoM Pub?
Gehn Shard avvies: charura 10827 chickopee 142711 cannon belle 144577 char gearz 149794 teri dactyl 153077
Moul(a) Charura 55400 Chickopee 20089892 Cannon Belle 13686512 Char Gearz 706359 Teri Dactyl 12658065
Charura

Postby jamie_marchant » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:29 pm

You can go there if you get the Messengers shirt. The link will appear in your Nexsis
jamie_marchant

Postby Taliana » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:31 pm

I just downloaded the Gehn shard installer, and Norton 360 gave me a virus warning and put it into quarantine with the tag 'Suspicious.Cloud.9'. Details given are ( http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2013-052214-5723-99 ) :

Discovered:
May 22, 2013
Updated:
May 24, 2013 1:45:21 PM
Type:
Trojan, Virus
Systems Affected:
Windows 2000, Windows 7, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, Windows XP

Suspicious.Cloud.9 is a detection technology designed to detect entirely new malware threats without traditional signatures. This technology is aimed at detecting malicious software that has been intentionally mutated or morphed by attackers.

Threat Assessment
Wild
Wild Level: Low
Number of Infections: 0 - 49
Number of Sites: 0 - 2
Geographical Distribution: Low
Threat Containment: Easy
Removal: Easy

Damage
Damage Level: Low

Distribution
Distribution Level: Low

Soooo ... what does that mean? Could anything have infected the file? Or does it just look suspicious to Norton because that is too cautious? Could then the parts that look suspicious to AV-Software be identified and modified? Otherwise, maybe a remark should be added to the download instructions that it could happen that AV-Software falsely detects the file as virus infected.
Taliana

Postby Acorn » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:05 pm

Popped into the pub and tried VERY hard to get stuck in a chair - but you've foiled me, Doobes! Also noticed that the obverse of the symbol above the bar is now much more "finished" than the previous blank face. I'm sure there are lots more changes to spot - I'll revisit and look more carefully!

Fired up a new avvie and enjoyed experienced the video working properly, plus the new logo.

So far, so very good, Gehn21! Well done everyone!
Acorn

Postby Charura » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:15 pm

TY jamie_marchant..I forgot that..Duh.. /me hits herself on the head twice
Gehn Shard avvies: charura 10827 chickopee 142711 cannon belle 144577 char gearz 149794 teri dactyl 153077
Moul(a) Charura 55400 Chickopee 20089892 Cannon Belle 13686512 Char Gearz 706359 Teri Dactyl 12658065
Charura

Next

Return to Gehn Shard