Gehn.22 Live!

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

Re: Gehn.22 Live!

Postby Korovev » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:28 am

It should be noted that “%256” doesn’t produce anything in-game, either. I guess it’s better to write it in letters, “percent”.

----

The Visual C++ Redistributable has apparently been problematic in Wine since the 2012 version. However:
There is an ongoing effort in Wine to provide a complete Microsoft Visual C++runtime library replacement - removing the need of installing the Microsoft VC++ redistributables packages. This is a work in progress hence you might still need to install Microsoft VC++ runtime.

Who will be first, Wine or the GoW? :lol:
Deep Island #194197, MOULa #46116, Gehn #137074, Minkata #132812.
Gahreesenomee biv keneet pishoeet b’set!
My macOS wrappers, Fan Age Expeditions, tools and other stuff.
Korovev

Postby Acorn » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:14 am

There's a camera glitch in Gahreesen - when you're sucked into the cog wheel, the camera switches to look at the rocky wall, and it's almost impossible to work out when to jump out (and which way you're facing). This happened with both my new and an old avvie; both in first and 3rd person, and persisted after a restart. I think I managed to jump one avvie out, blind, but the camera stayed stuck looking at the wall.
Acorn

Postby Annabelle » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:53 pm

Acorn wrote:There's a camera glitch in Gahreesen - when you're sucked into the cog wheel, the camera switches to look at the rocky wall, and it's almost impossible to work out when to jump out (and which way you're facing). This happened with both my new and an old avvie; both in first and 3rd person, and persisted after a restart. I think I managed to jump one avvie out, blind, but the camera stayed stuck looking at the wall.

That's not funny... LOL (I can't help myself but to laugh)
That's a real annoying bug!
Annabelle ;)
Annabelle

Postby janaba » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:17 am

I'm not quoting Acorn again, but I can confirm that bug at the cog wheel ... I've tested it with my old avi and a very new one (not newly created, but the latest one, created under 1.20 or 1.21 I believe, without any journey progress yet) ... They both get stuck as reported by Acorn, when walking into the first 'entry' and I find myself looking at the wall without being able to move, turn around or to jump out of the situation ... I have to force quit Gehn and link back in ... :)
janaba

Postby Deledrius » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:24 am

We noticed the camera glitch in a few places too. Turns out a fix for some previously-misnamed variables broke some cameras. Hoikas has devised a solution for it that repairs this regression. Sorry about that!
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:28 am

Korovev wrote:Most of the books on the Tokotah Rooftop are generic green as well. I guess that’s because the .loc files look for e.g. a “xKingHemelinMTKCvrD_ita*1#0.hsm” file, which likely doesn’t exists.

Image names shouldn't be need to be translated at all. The engine will convert xKingHemelinMTKCvrD_eng*1#0.hsm to whatever needs to happen on the fly.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Deledrius » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:43 pm

Ainia wrote:Will a generous bribery of chocolate help with either?? :D

Well, since you asked nicely... ;)

Thanks to a power outage today I had the free time to try solving this. So far it looks like Wine has no official or unofficial support for the current MS runtime library! This is very unfortunate. I tried providing all of the DLLs that the error log reports missing (as Korovev tried), but it still claims to be unable to load them. I looked at the list of submitted patches for Wine and it seems there are a group of related code submissions just this week to add support (I'm not sure if these stubs will be sufficient for it to function with library overrides, or if more will be needed). I'm not well-versed in how Wine works well enough to judge the details, but it appears that for the moment OSX users relying on Wine will be unable to play Gehn until a workaround or solution is found. :(

I'm very unhappy about this, as even though OSX isn't officially supported, this was an unexpected and unintentional breakage. I'm hoping Wine/Winetricks has a working vcredist for the current libraries soon so that you all may continue to enjoy the game using your wrappers (at least until the day we finally have a native client and can leave the unreliability of Wine behind for good).
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Ainia » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:13 am

Thank you for the detailed update, Deledrius!

Enjoy! :D Show Spoiler
ImageImage
Ainia

Postby Deledrius » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:35 am

Ainia wrote:Thank you for the detailed update, Deledrius!

You're welcome. I only wish I could have come here with better news.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Acorn » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:54 am

Another instance of the camera glitch - when climbing out of the rainy cleft for the first time, the camera wouldn't let me see the bahro on the top of the volcano. Just thought I'd mention it, though I know you already have the fix lined up.
Acorn

PreviousNext

Return to Gehn Shard