is "SSL certificate problem" fatal for Gehn (and Minkata)?

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

is "SSL certificate problem" fatal for Gehn (and Minkata)?

Postby Acorn » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:25 pm

Hi, I'm having all sorts of trouble with both Gehn and Minkata - in neither case is the launcher working. I've tried a clean Gehn installation from a recent download, but it hangs on "launching". The window also shows the message "SSL certificate problem: unable to get local issuer certificate".

Both shards used to work on this laptop. So I don't know if it's a problem with a recent Win7 update, something to do with Avast, or there is something in common to both Shards' most recent updates that's causing my problems.

For Gehn, Task Manager shows no applications are running, but in "processes", I have urulauncher.exe*32 and three urulauncher.exe.tmp*32. The only way of clearing these is a restart (which I do every time). I have tried the Gehn repair program - which first time round downloaded quite a lot of files but ended in the same result, it gets to "launching" but no further. The installation is still showing version 20 so I haven't got to subsequent updates.

The failed Minkata launch sticks too and I also get the three urulauncher.exe.tmp processes, but I don't see the same message about SSL certificates. However I wondered if this was the cause of both sets of problems and if so, how I can solve it.

If this SSL certificate message is a red herring then I'd love to have any other ideas.

MOULa is still working - so far.
Acorn

Re: is "SSL certificate problem" fatal for Gehn (and Minkata

Postby Deledrius » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:04 am

The urulauncher.exe.tmp listing sounds like it's unable to successfully update the launcher. Try running UruLauncher.exe as Administrator once to see if that resolves your problem.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Acorn » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:18 am

Deledrius wrote:The urulauncher.exe.tmp listing sounds like it's unable to successfully update the launcher. Try running UruLauncher.exe as Administrator once to see if that resolves your problem.

Thanks for the reply, Deledrius - I reckon I've always been trying this as administrator. I've just tried again, to make sure, and there was no difference.

I'm having an apparently similar problem for the updated Minkata. Over on the Open.uru forums, D'Lanor says that there is something odd happening with the Minkata client - if you mistakenly click on the UruExplorer rather than the launcher,
it should correct this error by launching UruLauncher.exe and quitting itself. This no longer happens with the latest Minkata client. Instead I get an error message "Failed to launch patcher" while UruLauncher.exe exists in the same folder.

This may be nothing to do with my problem, and it's a long shot, but I wondered whether there was a link: I may well have clicked on Explorer instead of Launcher in one of my failed attempts to get Gehn 22 to work (though I'm pretty sure I didn't do this for Minkata) - is there any chance that a similar issue is affecting Gehn?
Acorn

Postby Deledrius » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:38 am

Make sure all of those rogue processes are killed before running it, as I've seen lingering ones cause that problem.

And yes I get the "Failed to launch patcher" dialog too, instead of it launching as it should. This will require investigation.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Acorn » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:12 pm

Thanks; I reboot each time.

Good luck with your investigations!
Acorn

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:55 pm

The SSL certificate message is a red herring. We moved to HTTPS awhile back and older Gehn clients aren't able to connect to the website properly, and they issue this warning.

Based on your description of the problem here and on the OU forum, I am a little curious if something is causing the launcher download to be changed or otherwise corrupted. I know that a lot of anti virus programs consider UruLauncher to be very suspicious because it can update itself (that's something most viruses do, after all). I would be interested to know if the upgrade is still broken after shutting off avast and any other antivirus present on the system.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby janaba » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:41 am

I love Avast ... Avast would never do that, never did on my pc at least lol, unless you'd tell it to do more than might be necessary though lol ... :P
janaba

Postby Acorn » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:05 am

Tsar Hoikas wrote:The SSL certificate message is a red herring. We moved to HTTPS awhile back and older Gehn clients aren't able to connect to the website properly, and they issue this warning.
Ah, yes, I remember, thanks! Thought it might have been irrelevant but just wanted to check.

Tsar Hoikas wrote:Based on your description of the problem here and on the OU forum, I am a little curious if something is causing the launcher download to be changed or otherwise corrupted. I know that a lot of anti virus programs consider UruLauncher to be very suspicious because it can update itself (that's something most viruses do, after all). I would be interested to know if the upgrade is still broken after shutting off avast and any other antivirus present on the system.

And of course Adam has it in one! By switching off Avast, I got both Gehn and Minkata upgrades to happen! :D

But I find that I need to switch Avast off each time I launch Gehn, otherwise it still doesn't work. (I haven't got Minkata working yet, even though it has updated.)
edited - I've told Avast to leave Gehn and Minkata alone in future!

Many thanks, Adam! :D

janaba wrote:I love Avast ... Avast would never do that

Afraid Avast is the guilty party here, janaba :evil: - and I'm running the basic version, I've not paid for any extras.
Last edited by Acorn on Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Acorn

Postby janaba » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:10 am

Haha, oh my, that's very strange, and I have the free version too, but it does its job and runs wonderfully on my pc ... Besides that, every pc is as individual and special as we are ... :P
janaba

Postby Acorn » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:35 am

janaba wrote:Haha, oh my, that's very strange, and I have the free version too, but it does its job and runs wonderfully on my pc ... Besides that, every pc is as individual and special as we are ... :P

You probably had your Avast better house-trained, janaba - mine needed some disciplining! I'd let it have its own way but it now seems to be behaving properly. :lol:
Acorn

Next

Return to Gehn Shard