Ferry Terminal Issue

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

Re: Ferry Terminal Issue

Postby Sirius » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:34 am

Deledrius wrote:It is an easy thing to fix, for the people who hold the content source files (Cyan). I suspect this is not a priority for them, as collision problems have been an open issue for over half a decade.

Just a random idea, but maybe the collision could be fixed in a new page ? Like, import the Age in Blender, fix the collision, export this single object as a new page and add it to the Age ? And if required, use a simple script to disable the old collision. Not only does this keep Cyan's files intact, but can be reverted very easily.
It's a bit harder to setup, but the Offline-KI does this quite a lot.
Sirius

Postby Deledrius » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:50 am

Good thinking. It's possible in general, but I'd have to look at this specific case. Since the collision is too high that's harder to deal with. We could possibly get rid of the old LIP and add a new on in a Gehn-specific page that's actually above-ground.

One thing that I've run into in a lot of areas is that the mesh for certain parts of the city and neighborhood are just one big combined mesh, so you can't just make an edit to just one piece without basically needing to copy the entire thing; that quickly crosses over from "making our own things as overlay" to "taking and modifying Cyan's things".
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Sirius » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:16 am

Deledrius wrote:you can't just make an edit to just one piece without basically needing to copy the entire thing; that quickly crosses over from "making our own things as overlay" to "taking and modifying Cyan's things".

Ah, that's unfortunately true (and it's quite annoying since those meshes aren't really artistic content anyway). And since the Python API doesn't allow you to edit collisions at run-time...

Deledrius wrote: We could possibly get rid of the old LIP and add a new on in a Gehn-specific page that's actually above-ground.
Hmmm, I don't think it's a link in point, it rather seems like a position object for a OneShotMod (which are not referenced by name, but directly by the OneShotMod itself if I remember correctly). You can't easily replace those.

There are two other solutions I can think of:
- Add a second collision object beneath the existing one, but make sure its geometry connects with the existing one
- Move up the position object at run time
Sirius

Postby Deledrius » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:22 am

Sirius wrote:
Deledrius wrote: We could possibly get rid of the old LIP and add a new on in a Gehn-specific page that's actually above-ground.
Hmmm, I don't think it's a link in point, it rather seems like a position object for a OneShotMod (which are not referenced by name, but directly by the OneShotMod itself if I remember correctly). You can't easily replace those.

There are two other solutions I can think of:
- Add a second collision object beneath the existing one, but make sure its geometry connects with the existing one
- Move up the position object at run time

Oops, yeah it's a Seek Point. Sorry, it's been a couple of weeks since I looked at it and my mind was elsewhere when I replied. That makes it much harder. :/
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:42 am

If it's a case of empty objects being positioned below the ground, we can use the python api to translate its location at link time...
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Previous

Return to Gehn Shard