Crashing In Minkata & Ahnonay

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

Re: Crashing In Minkata & Ahnonay

Postby Acorn » Sat May 27, 2017 1:03 pm

Thanks for the ideas, Sirius, and I hope you're onto something, but I haven't experienced the Gehn 25 Win7 crash anywhere other than Minkata and Ahnonay - ie Ae'gura and Gahreesen work fine.

(I submitted logs back in Jan/Feb and discussed the crashes in the Gehn 25 thread).

(We had crashes in the Cleft, and in going to the spy room, but Tsar Hoikas fixed them.)
Acorn

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sat May 27, 2017 5:53 pm

That's a good find Sirius--the crash logs indicate a string data memory corruption when printing a log message. Due to the nature of the crash dump, the exact log message cannot be known as the client's heap is not dumped (that would result in crash logs of approximately 600mb, yikes). I don't have any operating copies of Windows 7 at the moment, but I will go back to some of the already posted dumps and see if the crash is coming from PtPageInNode. I'll see about getting a Windows 7 virtual machine up soon-ish. The school year ended yesterday, so I should have a little spare time for URU in between reorganizing my classroom closet and getting ready to teach Physics next year...
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Mon May 29, 2017 11:21 am

I have successfully isolated the bug and fixed this instance of it. It was the garbled strings Sirius noted... It appears there are a whole class of issues that can arise due to a small change in behavior introduced by our "recent" string library migration, and this is one of them. I will be looking into reintroducing the old behavior where such errors are squelched somewhat more quietly. This problem really should not have crashed the game. The real question now is why did this problem crop up on Windows 7 but not Windows 10?

The fix should appear on the shard in the coming day(s).
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Acorn » Tue May 30, 2017 1:03 am

Yay :D :D Thanks Adam and Sirius 8-)
Acorn

Previous

Return to Gehn Shard