Problems with the GS

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

Re: Problems with the GS

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:20 pm

It looks like you're using the graphics drivers that came with Windows 7. Have you ever tried going to the Intel or Dell website to see if there are new graphics drivers available for your system?
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby dj_ » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:01 pm

I spent several hours trying to update all the system drivers. In most cases I had already done that, or there were no new drivers available.

Problem still exists on this Win7 laptop that at one point ran the Gehn shard great.

If the only thing running on this system is the Gehn shard, and I add in the Task Manager to watch what is happening, I get little or no network activity, and the % of CPU activity during those delays is almost non existent, it's as if the program is waiting for some trigger at baud speeds (like 30 baud).

Again, let me stress, once I finally get to any age, the game runs fine, it is in those periods of transition from one age to any other that those ugly delays occur.
dj_

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:10 pm

Right, I've seen this issue before under a few circumstances. The issue is kind of "complicated" in that this game is completely serialized. The graphics rendering, asset loading, sounds, network transaction handling, etc. all happens in a serial order. Generally, what I have seen is the renderer somehow is either pumped too much (600fps) and starves the loader or the renderer goes slow (less than 60fps) and starves the loader. We "recently" changed some of the logic behind the fullscreen mode such that it would be just an invisible window. My suspicion is that something with your older Intel chipset does not like this change and is causing some change of behavior in the renderer and therefore starving the loader.

The only other things I can think of at the moment are to use a framerate monitor like fraps and checking the framerate *while ages are loading*. Also, I would suggest playing around with the VSync settings in game.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby dj_ » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:48 am

Well, I started this thread last February, I do not remember when I was good before that. So it would have been caused by my machines reaction to some update prior to that.

It could have been a Win 7 update that did it too. About that same time I noticed one other graphical oddity. I play online poker, and at WPN when I try to make player notes there, the notes window comes up transparent, not truly transparent, cause if I drag it it takes whatever was under it to the new position.. I reported that to them, but still no resolution.

You didn't catch it, and I didn't mention it, but that laptop has a beautiful, but different display. Where most flat screens are LED, this laptop has a LCD screen.
dj_

Previous

Return to Gehn Shard