Questions about Shard installation

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

Questions about Shard installation

Postby Kero » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:40 pm

Shorah All -

Having been a member of the Cavern since 2003 I've finally worked up the courage to take the Journey in a shard not run by Cyan. ;) I'm not a computer aficionado by any means so I'm afraid that your instructions on the Ghen Shard page have me scratching my head a little.

As per instructed I joined the GoW forums (obviously). Now - do I stay logged into the forums while running the installer or do I log out? :?

I always save a download to my computer before I click run. I got a red security shield and the warning that "the publisher of gehn_shard.exe couldn't be verified. Could you explain this to me? Oh - Norton gave a green light to the file itself.

Now - before I run the install file do I need to set compatibility? (I have OS7)

Finally - this is rather trivial - I noted in Properties that this install file is v25. I've read on the Ghen Shard forum that the v26 has been released. So does this mean that I will be getting some kind of update once Ghen is installed?

I hope you are able to answer my questions after you've picked yourself up off the floor. Oh yes - I do have MOULa installed. (URUExplorer.exe - created 2014)
All things come to those who wait.
Kero

Re: Questions about Shard installation

Postby Deledrius » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:00 pm

Kero wrote:Shorah All -

Having been a member of the Cavern since 2003 I've finally worked up the courage to take the Journey in a shard not run by Cyan. ;) I'm not a computer aficionado by any means so I'm afraid that your instructions on the Gehn Shard page have me scratching my head a little.

Welcome! I'm sorry you're having trouble with our instructions. Do you mean this page? https://www.guildofwriters.org/gehn/

Kero wrote:As per instructed I joined the GoW forums (obviously). Now - do I stay logged into the forums while running the installer or do I log out? :?

As you're a new user, the trick here is just that you need to log out and back in (of the forum) after you've created your forum account to make sure it triggers the synchronization to the game server. Once you've done that you don't need to worry about it. You'll use your username (Kero) and forum password to log in to the game as well.

Kero wrote:I always save a download to my computer before I click run. I got a red security shield and the warning that "the publisher of gehn_shard.exe couldn't be verified. Could you explain this to me? Oh - Norton gave a green light to the file itself.

It just means we're not a corporation or an organization who paid for a certificate to sign our installer. A "verified publisher" just means you can be sure the executable you're running is from the organization named on the certificate. I'm glad that Norton gave it a green light, as sometimes the big scanners like to look askance at independently-published files and send up paranoid false positives.

Kero wrote:Now - before I run the install file do I need to set compatibility? (I have OS7)

I'm afraid we don't support Mac OS 7. ;) But if you mean Windows 7, then you're fine and shouldn't need to do anything special here.

Kero wrote:Finally - this is rather trivial - I noted in Properties that this install file is v25. I've read on the Ghen Shard forum that the v26 has been released. So does this mean that I will be getting some kind of update once Ghen is installed?

Yes. We last updated the installer for the version 25 release, and there was just recently an update to the client and server bringing us to version 26. The installer will automatically patch you up to the latest version (and it's a small update), so it's not anything you need to be troubled with.

Kero wrote:I hope you are able to answer my questions after you've picked yourself up off the floor. Oh yes - I do have MOULa installed. (URUExplorer.exe - created 2014)

Thanks for all the feedback. I hope you enjoy exploring Gehn and seeing the fan ages and other additions and enhancements we've made! :D
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Kero » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:31 pm

Thank you Deledrius for calming my fears and setting me straight - yes I did mean MS 7. :lol:

Anyhoo - All went well - the install proceeded without a hitch and after getting my KI I'm trying to decide - explore Cavern or make Journey. Ah decisions, decisions.... :roll:

I did notice a couple of things that I am curious about:
Re: Install - why did it go thru the PhysX_setup when I already have PhysX on my computer? After all I already had MOULa installed.

Re: In the hood bookroom - there is a different age book where the anti-room(?) for the Great Zero (book on right) should be. I take it that this is a fan Age, but how do you then start the Great Zero marker hunt? Oh - and what would be the name for this Age?

Well - I'm off to explore once again - thank you for your help

Kero
All things come to those who wait.
Kero

Postby Deledrius » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:18 am

Kero wrote:I did notice a couple of things that I am curious about:
Re: Install - why did it go thru the PhysX_setup when I already have PhysX on my computer? After all I already had MOULa installed.

It's just to make sure you have it installed, as not everyone will have it (or the correct, ancient version used by Uru). People had some issues in the past with this, so our installer tries to be thorough to avoid them.

Kero wrote:Re: In the hood bookroom - there is a different age book where the anti-room(?) for the Great Zero (book on right) should be. I take it that this is a fan Age, but how do you then start the Great Zero marker hunt? Oh - and what would be the name for this Age?

The Great Zero anteroom (which is also a location in cavern) was removed since it breached the linking rules (no intra-Age linking by D'ni-authored books) and a permanent link was added to your City Locations in the Nexus. That's the location to begin your access to the GZ. We've replaced that book with one of the fan Ages, as you surmised. The name should show on your KI when you're in it: Tre’bivdil, authored by Lontahv. It was the earliest one added, if I recall.

Kero wrote:Well - I'm off to explore once again - thank you for your help

Have fun exploring the cavern!
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Pia_123 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:48 am

Hi,
I just installed URU on the Gehn shard the first time. I had first an error (Destrict_FemaleAFKError.prp.gz) and I used the repair link. Then I was able to create my avatar, but when clicking explore URU I got the error LinkToAge failed.
I restarted URU and then I got the error SetActivePlayer failed no connection to the server.
Any help?

I am using Windows 10.

Thanks
Pia_123
Pia_123

Postby Deledrius » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:27 pm

Pia_123 wrote:Hi,
I just installed URU on the Gehn shard the first time. I had first an error (Destrict_FemaleAFKError.prp.gz) and I used the repair link. Then I was able to create my avatar, but when clicking explore URU I got the error LinkToAge failed.
I restarted URU and then I got the error SetActivePlayer failed no connection to the server.
Any help?

I am using Windows 10.

Thanks
Pia_123

As discussed in another thread (viewtopic.php?f=117&t=7040) you have encountered some rare bad timing due to Cyan updating their server and Gehn not yet being updated to match. Please try again and post if your problem persists.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Return to Gehn Shard