Gehn.27 Live!

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

Re: Gehn.27 Live!

Postby Doobes » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:09 am

Charura wrote:Image

no matches found in my whole computer?

Er, you'll want to type that into where it says "Search results on this PC", ie the file explorer's "address bar", not the search box. ;)

EDIT: Otherwise, the "longer" way to get to the folder is detailed here: https://www.howtogeek.com/318177/what-i ... n-windows/
KI #s: MOULa - 6302, Minkata - 35287, Gehn - 14291,
TOC - 82340, DI - 44387
Doobes

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:17 am

Darkwing, Dulcamara... I have looked at your logs. The crash is leading back into opus audio. I may be able to fix this by rebuilding opus and the game client. Before I do that, however, can you tell me the model of your computer's CPU? If you don't know how to find this information, you can use CPU-Z. I attached a screenshot of what that looks like for me. I am interested in the "Name" section ("Intel Core i7 4770K").

Screenshot 2020-02-28 13.16.49.png
Screenshot 2020-02-28 13.16.49.png (32.17 KiB) Viewed 3138 times

Charura wrote:no matches found in my whole computer?

You need to paste into the address bar, not the search bar.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby Dulcamara » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:07 pm

CPU.jpg
CPU.jpg (38.93 KiB) Viewed 3132 times
Dulcamara

Postby Deledrius » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:08 pm

Dulcamara wrote:Puh, that was not to easy to find :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alternatively, you can use the "Gehn User Profile" shortcut that is provided to you by the installer.
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Ro'Jethhe » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:14 pm

I'm having the same issue as Dulcamara, I launch the Client and log on but when I get to the next window this error messages comes up. I am not sure where my log files are and I'd be happy to send them in if I knew where to look. BTW the old Client 1.26 was launched and it was updated to .27 and gave me this same message so I uninstalled it and download the new UruGehn1.27 installer and it didn't help any.
Attachments
Error.jpg
Error.jpg (22.25 KiB) Viewed 3109 times
Ro'Jethhe

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:19 pm

Just a quick update - I have found and diagnosed this issue. I am deploying the fix to the Gehn beta shard for a quick run through and will post back when it's live.
Tsar Hoikas

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:59 pm

Welcome to Gehn27b! Fixes in this build include: the intro video should no longer crash on CPUs released before 2011.

This was an interesting problem, so excuse me if I spend a few moments to talk about it. If you don't like talk, here's a screenshot of me verifying the fix.

There is a bug in MOULa currently where launching the game without PhysX installed causes the game to immediately crash. If you've been following along with this issue, you know that it's very easy for PhysX to get uninstalled. This bug is actually my fault and is in code that was taken from one of my contributions to the H'uru client that we use and moved into the OpenUru client. We never saw that here because the Gehn client does a good job of making sure PhysX is installed in a way that can't be easily undone, but the issue has been silently present in our shard for years. I actually fixed the underlying issue for Gehn 27 and submitted a cut down version of the same to OpenURU as well.

My first reaction on seeing crashes on launch was, among various swear words, "I THOUGHT I FIXED THAT!!!" I was tempted to just post a link to the PhysX legacy installer and say, "install this and get off my lawn!" After a few minutes, I decided to look at the logs first. Needless to say, the logs pointed a finger at a very different culprit. PhysX was finally not to blame! Yay, I actually did something right. The logs pointed to our firing up the opus audio decoder when playing the intro video with the error "Invalid Instruction". Gulp. This might be more exciting...

So, the first step is to figure out what CPU everyone is using. The error is, after all, that the CPU does not understand what the heck it's being told to do. Duclamara very kindly posted her CPU-Z. If you look at the list of "Instructions" you will notice that her list and mine are somewhat different. I reopened the crash dump file and *gulp* dove into the assembly code to figure out which particular instruction was crashing the game. In this case it was the instruction vpxor... an AVX instruction. An AVX instruction that was being called by the code to determine which instructions could be used. Wut.

Upon much sleuthing through the libopus source code and build system files, I discovered the issue. The maintainers of opus incorrectly wrote the build configuration for Windows (and Visual C++) to detect the most recent instruction set supported by the compiler... and set that to the minimum requirement for executing the entire library. I think this was due to a misunderstanding about how different CPU instruction sets work from gcc (the "linux compiler") vs Visual C++ (the "Windows compiler"). What they have done should work fine in gcc.

Anyway, it was relatively trivial to patch the minimum requirement down to "any x86 CPU." Now to just figure out how to ramtangle all this into something to bring to the libopus team, who probably don't know anything about Windows development aside from "it compiles, ship it!!!" :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

EDIT: It looks like I'm not the only one to discover this pitfall.
Tsar Hoikas

Postby jamie_marchant » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:53 pm

Thanks guys. Love all the new content, the new age is great but I wish they whre more books in it and the T-shirt designs are cool.(I have a Linux T-shirt in RL)

Feel free to give long descriptions of how you solve programming problems anytime Hoikas, do you have a H-URU dev blog?
jamie_marchant

Postby Deledrius » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:24 pm

jamie_marchant wrote:Thanks guys. Love all the new content, the new age is great but I wish they whre more books in it and the T-shirt designs are cool.(I have a Linux T-shirt in RL)

We figured since the engine and server projects are GPL, it would be fun to have some nice shirts to reflect that support! Glad you like them. :)

jamie_marchant wrote:Feel free to give long descriptions of how you solve programming problems anytime Hoikas, do you have a H-URU dev blog?

I don't think so, just what we post here. In theory we could post these things in the Development Journals, but those seem to be mostly unused these days. Paradox has a blog where he posts his Uru development thoughts.

It might not be a terrible idea if we formalized that a tiny bit and wrote something like this from time-to-time! Do you think there's much of an audience for it?
Deledrius
Gehn Shard Admin

Postby Acorn » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:22 am

Tsar Hoikas wrote:Welcome to Gehn27b! Fixes in this build include: the intro video should no longer crash on CPUs released before 2011.

This was an interesting problem, so excuse me if I spend a few moments to talk about it.

Congratulations for the fix, and thanks for the very interesting read!
Acorn

PreviousNext

Return to Gehn Shard