Can't play with two avatars on the same machine

Announcements and discussion regarding the Gehn CWE Shard.

Moderator: Gehn Shard

Can't play with two avatars on the same machine

Postby MNOLG » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:25 am

Deledrius wrote:That's a substantial post! I'll try to take a break from updating the Global Python wiki page soon to go through your instructions and make a PR to update the README to handle the information deficits you've uncovered.

J'Kla wrote:I took the opportunity to make two accounts I am logging in from two machines this is not the avatar but the account this is like when you log into MOULa it asks for a login and after that you can make a few avatars but you want multiple avatars in game simultaneously each one must be on a different account.

Good news: this is in fact not necessary! You can log in with a single account multiple times simultaneously, as long as each log in is with a distinct avatar. You can even do this all on the same computer (provided it can handle it).

I tried using this method to complete the frustrating multiplayer requirement needed to complete Ahnonay and the Pellet Caves, but when I try running a second instance of the Gehn Shard, it tells me “Another copy of Uru is already running”. So either Deledrius was wrong, or there's some secret hidden way to run extra copies of URU simultaneously that I'm just not seeing. Does anyone know how to circumvent this terminal warning, or do I just need an extra computer to accomplish this?
MNOLG

Re: Can't play with two avatars on the same machine

Postby Chacal » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:31 pm

Maybe you could do this using a VM on your PC.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Tsar Hoikas » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:14 pm

Deledrius is talking about a feature in the development client that allows running multiple copies of Uru on the same PC simultaneously. You'll need to either use multiple PCs or a virtual machine as Chacal suggests.
Tsar Hoikas
Councilor of Technical Direction

Postby MNOLG » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:43 pm

Tsar Hoikas wrote:Deledrius is talking about a feature in the development client that allows running multiple copies of Uru on the same PC simultaneously. You'll need to either use multiple PCs or a virtual machine as Chacal suggests.

Thanks, I guess I'll just use another PC.
MNOLG

Postby Chacal » Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:35 pm

Or, if you have an old mainframe lying around (who doesn't ?) you can run thousands of Linux VMs on it.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Return to Gehn Shard