So... maybe it's the end?

Originally begun at GoAC, Search for the Springs of Kehlbet is an ambitious fangame project currently seeking major HELP in these areas: Musicians and Sound Design, Concept Artists, Writers and/or Story Consultants, Modelers, Texture Artists, Designers, Voice Actors. Please post inside if you'd like to contribute!

So... maybe it's the end?

Postby Mystified Explorer » Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:59 am

I'm seriously wondering if it is worth keeping this thing going. I mean it has been an idea for over 3 years now, and still nothing seems to be moving. I think trying to continue this is like flogging the proverbial dead horse. I have actually been working on my ages quite extensively, but the way things are going I'm seriously considering just releasing them by themselves, because I think this project has lost all momentum :(

Is anyone actually interested in keeping this going, or shall we just scrap it?
Mystified Explorer

Re: So... maybe it's the end?

Postby Jojon » Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:52 am

OW!

I'd definitly prefer to experience the thing as a whole and would be sad if you had to break it apart, but if you can't contain steam pressure, I see that you might feel despirited.

How many people are there currently on the team anyway? I would love to help with any task, but have (very) limited skills and time - don't rely on scheduled deliveries. ...but if there is some little thing I could do; shoot!

An alternative may be to let the project rest for a while and work on a few other, simpler things, before you pick it back up, perhaps with new useful insights that could be retrofitted.
Jojon

Postby Mystified Explorer » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:13 pm

Myself and Kato were heads of the project, but he seems to have vanished. There were some musicians, but there wasn't much to do due to lack of visuals. There were some others, but many threads I have put up in the past have simply died - momentum just won't keep going. The project has been through this cycle so many time its tires me, and I'm really keen to release some of my ages soon, but if this keeps up, I seriously doubt they will ever see the light of day in this form :(

Unless Kato or the rest of the team mysteriously re-appear, I don't think there's that much that can be done :cry:
Mystified Explorer

Postby Jojon » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:28 am

Well, although busy, Kato does respond to people, apparently, judging by his OK:ing upping forum storage quota in the "Is this texture...?" thread. (That "ok" may well have been a free interpretation of a muffled "mmmngx", heard through severe static on a prison book lining panel, mind. :P)

Maybe you could tie him down for one or two minutes, to have a little pow-wow about the future of sSoK...

As for the rest of the team; here, borrow my rocket-propelled butt-kicking boot -- 'got a new scope sight for it. ;P
Jojon

Postby Aloys » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:38 am

That would be quite sad to see that project ends after all these years of development.
I understand the furstration, and the loss of motivation, such projects are difficult to complete.. Starting projects (large or small) is easy completing them is always harder.
However do you really think it'd be a good thing to release your Ages as they are? Its obvious why you'd want to do that, but seing how they are meant to be part of a whole, tied by a common story, can they be released? Are they fully playable? Is it possible to understand the whole thing just with the Ages as they are?
In the end it all comes to Kato, but I think it's a really nice project, and although it's certainly difficult to complete it, it'd be worth it.. Did the past recruitments campaigns get some good results?
Aloys

Postby Mystified Explorer » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:26 pm

Not really. The project has gone through times when stuff started to get done, then it slowed down to nothing again, then after several months another brief period of activity, and so on. The thing is I'm not sure what became of half the dev team (which was already very small). My ages covered about half the ages in the project.

My thoughts were to release them in a different form perhaps. If no one else is willing to complete the story I can with what I have. It wouldn't be the grand full-blown game that was originally envisioned, but it could still be worked out. The way I see it working is kind of episodically. First the hub age is released, with some background and intro to the story of the ring of writers, then one by one their ages are revealed, uncovering the story bit by bit. After completing each "episode" you get a key fragment or whatever that'll eventually allow you to go to the big age. That way the ages get released sometime earlier than 2020, the story stays intact, and it leaves a sense of suspension :)
Mystified Explorer

Postby Kato » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:13 pm

Everyone says I'm dead.

I'm not. I still read the forums every day and hang out in IRC. I don't post as much as I have in the past at the moment, but I've rarely been directly asked a question. I didn't catch the thread about the forum quota until it was a little late, and after that I've responded to anyone that's needed me within a day.

...just wanted to get that said :)

ME: If you need to talk to me, why don't you ask to talk? I see you online all the time :P

-Kato
(explorer card designed and created by me)
Kato

Postby andylegate » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:05 pm

May I ask some questions? (after a short observation)

(short observation):

It would be sad to see any Age project declared dead and abanded. There are not that many Ages out there. Why declare it dead? As long as one person still hopes for it, or still has a desire to see it completed one day, that should be all it takes to keep it alive.

Okay, now my questions:

When have you guys recruited and where? I've only seen this here, on this forum and just the forum title. In truth, this is the very first time I've even opened up the forum and LOOKED in here......

What kind of help do you need? Is there anything I can do to help? My life is kinda hectic right now, and I know I'm not one the great Age Writers, but maybe there is something I could do to help keep your idea from dying?
"I'm still trying to find the plKey for Crud!"
Blender Age Creation Tutorials
3DS Max Age Creation Tutorials
andylegate

Postby Kato » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:55 am

ME and I regrouped and have a new plan. We hope to be able to talk more about it soon :)

Andy: If you're really interested in contributing (I know you've got a lot going on and I certainly don't want to take away your time from any other Ages of yours :)), PM me.

-Kato
(explorer card designed and created by me)
Kato

Return to Search for the Springs of Kehlbet