The Story So Far

Originally begun at GoAC, Search for the Springs of Kehlbet is an ambitious fangame project currently seeking major HELP in these areas: Musicians and Sound Design, Concept Artists, Writers and/or Story Consultants, Modelers, Texture Artists, Designers, Voice Actors. Please post inside if you'd like to contribute!

The Story So Far

Postby Kato » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:16 am

{relatively spoiler free}

There were secrets in D'ni. No one doubted that. Some secrets were better kept than others, of course. But there was one secret...one that was never told...one that was thought to be lost in time.

Enter the Revolutionaries. An underground (no pun intended ;)) group of Writers who Wrote Ages specifically to take slaves from them. Nothing too unusual considering the dark dealings that went on in Teledahn and with the Bahro, but these guys were major players in the slave trade. However, they lacked one thing. A place to put their treasure, a place to store their slaves. So, they found an up-and-coming young Writer with a rather radical attitude, Kehlbet, and asked him to Write them such an Age. It was to be, itself, a giant lock--the whole thing a puzzle that, once solved, would grant access to their slaves quarters. Only the members of the group knew the solution.

Kehlbet was decorated for his work on Sehv Terth'sheegah--the Age of Paths--and promoted to a high position in the group. However, there was one thing that no one knew about the Guild's new home...Kehlbet had hid a treasure. A vast place containing a reward who's purpose and content has been lost to time--the Springs of Kehlbet. No one knows what's in the Springs, but all know that it is great.

The Revolutionaries fell. A Rebel, one night, destroyed all their keys to Sehv Terth'sheegah, leaving only one, separated into fragments, and hidden in each one of their Ages. Kehlbet went on to greater things. The Fall happened. The door to Sehv Terth'sheegah was never opened.

2003. The Cavern is filled with life again, and you're an explorer who's vastly intrigued by the legend of the Springs of Kehlbet. You've followed the clues--and here you are. A D'ni apartment. Supposedly, inside, is the Link to Sehv Terth'sheegah. You enter. Oh no! A rumbling, and then a collapse behind you. Your Relto Book is irreparably damaged. You have only one choice now--use the Link. Use that dusty Book, sitting in this room for over 200 years, and risk your life. But what lies behind this Link? Will there be treasure? Does it even lead to the Age you desire?

No choice now. No way out. You Link.

-Kato
(explorer card designed and created by me)
Kato

Re: The Story So Far

Postby Pryftan » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:58 pm

That looks great! I'd love to be involved in this.. I can work on storyline stuff, anything audial like voice acting or music, and I can do a little modelling (though it looks like you guys are just fine in that regard!)

Your Kehlbet reminds me of Kahgehn, a writer I came up with for a storyline I worked on briefly as part of SR. Radical and talented Writer with a tendency to hide ridiculous secrets in his Ages for the worthy. Good stuff.
.rilvoohee vehrehnehm vokan pam mahnshootahv rub voohee taygahnehm mahtahntahv
Pryftan

Postby Jojon » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:13 pm

I suppose you have had an internal discussion, as to whether- and how you could modify your work, so that it stays farther from Cyan IP and thus might more easily slip into Live?

I could try helping with any single tiny piece of work that is not critical - wouldn't want to leave you dependant and waiting. :)
Jojon

Postby Dovahn » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:55 pm

Wow, is that a model or a drawing? 'Cause if it's a model, that's pretty impressive! (It's impressive too if it's a drawing, but all the same...)

As for the story, I have a feeling that it's on the line of D'ni/not D'ni. I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure that we're trying to make ages that are specifically designed by us, and are not part of the D'ni backstory. If I just read it wrong, :oops: , but I would consider that.

Dovahn
Dovahn

Postby Kato » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:52 pm

I agree with you guys, I dunno if the story is appropriate for Live. The game was in development before even the idea of Live launching was firm.

I'm not sure how we can adapt the game's story without stepping on Cyan/the Live story's toes, so, if any of you want to help in that department, let me know.

And thanks for the praise/help offers!

As for the art--it's a render from 3DS Max of the D'ni island where the apartment is, made by GoAC's own Bedford. Just a taste...I rather like that picture. :)

-Kato
Kato

Postby Jennifer_P » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:31 pm

Ahh, intriguing! Tell me, is this the Uru CC Age with the pyramids? That one had a nice atmosphere; it was quite memorable. You'll probably have to modify the part about the collapse and the broken Relto book though; I don't think Uru will allow for that.
Jennifer_P

Postby James L » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:41 pm

So, would the explorer from 2003 be someone already in the age, then? Someone you have to follow the story of, or, to be completely outrageous, actually meet?
James Leslie, Guild of Writers
And so, I close, realising that perhaps the ending has not yet been written.
- Atrus
James L

Postby Kato » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:02 am

No no. Obviously, that part doesn't fit with Live's story at all, but in the original version, you were that explorer.

And the Relto Book part will probably have to be modified--but it is possible and that's just the original story up there.

We never released an Age, and, I don't think there was one with pyramids. The game is actually pretty epic in scope--we had a pretty shifting Age list but at any given time there was about 10 or 11 Ages. Of course, we might not be able to do them all, but, a lot of them were really good ideas. I'll post an intro to this project and some screenshots later.

-Kato
Kato

Postby Mystified Explorer » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:03 pm

awesome render! great story too! Only thing is I'm not so sure about all the ages being slave ages. Some definately, but others are more oppulent garden/vacation ages, which would show the guild's wealth and how corrupt they are.

The apartment link leads to a hub age with a library - I have some in-game pics from Uru of the age (in development):

And more recent Cerrodahn pics all unfinished of course:

This is a possible guild symbol/motif made by Bedford:

Also I started making a website ages back. Here's a link - theres some more images in the gallery of previous development, as well as a link to a developer blog. http://www.z-machines.com/mystexplorer/sftsok/

Finally, here are some maps I made of the ages a while back:
Cerrodahn:
Tehrashee (A forest age):
Mystified Explorer

Postby BAD » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:34 pm

Great stuff guys!

Before you try to rip your story apart to get rid of any derivative stuff, I would Expand it (to make the derivative part be smaller) and submit it to Cyan's legal, asking for permission to use it as an age's story. THe worst thing they can say is no, and then you know exactly where they stand with it. :)
BAD is as good as he gets
BAD

Next

Return to Search for the Springs of Kehlbet