The Story So Far

Originally begun at GoAC, Search for the Springs of Kehlbet is an ambitious fangame project currently seeking major HELP in these areas: Musicians and Sound Design, Concept Artists, Writers and/or Story Consultants, Modelers, Texture Artists, Designers, Voice Actors. Please post inside if you'd like to contribute!

Re: The Story So Far

Postby Kato » Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:59 am

We have (and have had for years) permission to make the single-player game as a tPotS/CC mod. However, recently, with the advent of the Guild stuff and the realization that there are very few copies of the old game in circulation, we've decided to either make it on Live if possible, or use another engine. At the moment, obviously, we're pursuing the Live route. I think we should continue work on the actual Ages for now--and work on the story later when this group's boundaries are more defined ("discovered," or "Written?"). Obviously, if it turns out to be that we Write and only we Write these new Ages, the story will need MAJOR work, but I don't think we should go through that if we don't have to.

-Kato
(explorer card designed and created by me)
Kato

Postby Jojon » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:01 am

Kato wrote:...At the moment, obviously, we're pursuing the Live route. I think we should continue work on the actual Ages for now--and work on the story later when this group's boundaries are more defined ("discovered," or "Written?"). Obviously, if it turns out to be that we Write and only we Write these new Ages, the story will need MAJOR work, but I don't think we should go through that if we don't have to.
Here's hoping you get allotted that piece of cavern real estate, when the day comes. :)
Jojon

Postby BAD » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:04 pm

Yeah, I have a feeling that if Cyan will let fan creations be on the Live server, they will accept derivative storylines (within reason).

We probably should refrain from writing jaunty tales of Kadish's childhood age writing attempts...... :lol:
BAD is as good as he gets
BAD

Postby Mystified Explorer » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:04 am

heh.

We actually had a few more ideas about story all those years back. I still like this idea:

Upon reaching the age through the book, you find yourself in a small complex on the seashore. The sun is setting on the distant horizon as dark clouds loom from behind. You see three buildings, two at right angles and third structure, imposing but grand, a little way off, but it is locked tight. You wonder around and find one of the other two buildings that opens into a conference hall of sorts - very elaborate but has some obvious signs of decay. The other building is a library, but for some reason the book pedestals are all locked, except one, which has been smashed. The intriguing stained glass above the pedestal suggests this was where the book for a canyon age was once held. The stained glass is beautiful, with depictions of beauty and intrigue so tempting you just want to see the ages behind them, but no joy. You walk outside. It's then that you see a book lying there, abandoned on the ground. Upon a closer look, you see it links to a canyon age. Perhaps this is the missing book, but why is it here? Nothing else for it, you link.

You arrive on the shores of a blue sea, under a clear sky with a blazing hot sun overhead. You look around and you can tell this place is old. You walk from the link-in point toward a ladder leading up a cliff, to a door in the cliff wall. To the right is a large cylindrical building - a reservoir perhaps? Nothing going on there at the moment, so you climb the ladder. As you come to the top, a man comes out of the door. He appears to be D'ni. He is well dressed, looks composed, and yet in his eye you see a sense of urgency. He speaks fluently and clearly, says his name is ... (Henceforth he shall be known as Dude - his codename. Can't think of a better name atm). He tells you he is a descendant of Kehlbet, and says he needs to find the key fragments, in order that he may protect the age of SehvTehrthSheega (SP) from another, a descendant of the traitor, who seeks only to plunder the world of all its riches. He needs you to do this. He promises to open the books in the library, and instructs you that each age holds a fragment of the key, which you must return to the main age. Last, he tells you he has hidden one fragment in this age for safekeeping, and that it too will need to be taken to the main age. He then climbs down the ladder and links out to the main age. The age is then shook by an earthquake, and you suddenly realise that it may not be very stable. The linking book Dude used falls off into the sea. Where to here?

You solve the age and find the fragment, luckily, and there is a book back to the main age. You link into the library, and the fragment drops into place on a machine/pedestal. At this point the pedestal glows, and you see it is an imager - the key fragment is showing you something! You see a group of elderly men around a table in the conference room you saw earlier, except it is not worn away like before, but clean and new. One man stands up angrily. "I am telling you Pradershee is unstable! Fix it! At the current rate it won't last much longer until it is destroyed! Then where will we be?' Another man agrees, saying how it would not be profitable to lose such a valuable "asset". The group seems divided, but then the image disappears. Most intriguing. Then, another man links in. He looks disheveled, almost savage. You can tell hes been through a lot. He says his name is Mister (once again tentative codename :P). He can tell you have met Dude. That Parasite who claims he is a true descendant. But no, it is he who is the true descendant. He wants you to find the key too, but not for him. He wants you to bring it so that they may destroy it and keep the age protected forever. He then heads off, saying he has "things to do".

And now you are presented with a journey. Ten ages. Ten fragments. Two people. Who will you trust?

To be continued...
Mystified Explorer

Postby Pryftan » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:35 am

BAD wrote:We probably should refrain from writing jaunty tales of Kadish's childhood age writing attempts...... :lol:

That sounds.. hilarious. Too bad, eh? Haha

Mystified, I love the distinct Myst-esque quality to that story.. the choosing between two people and all, classic Myst. I wonder if it will be possible eventually for us to make an Age where you see a person speaking, like Yeesha or Zandi at the cleft? If so, this would be very cool to do, though you'd have to lock the avatar's movement and fix the camera when you see any of the characters (I can't remember any instance of the avatar's movement freezing, but it's got to be possible..) in order to make it work right. (Like how you can run around when Yeesha's hologram talks, so it just keeps going even when you're gone, but it's okay 'cause it's a hologram. Come to think of it, did the avatar's motion freeze when Yeesha appeared for real at the end of PotS? I forget.)

If all those things are possible, then it seems like it could be fine for Uru Live but pretty much purely as a single player adventure. There'd be alot of issues to iron out with the cinematics.
.rilvoohee vehrehnehm vokan pam mahnshootahv rub voohee taygahnehm mahtahntahv
Pryftan

Postby Kato » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:30 pm

If we can't have avatars proper like Zandi/Yeesha, we'll do full motion video.

And good job with the story bit, ME--glad someone else remembers it with as much detail as I do :)

-Kato
(explorer card designed and created by me)
Kato

Postby Mystified Explorer » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:31 pm

Actually I was thinking about that and it wouldn't be hard to make them - simply film in Live in versions of the age on a testing server or something, add voiceovers and emotes and you have a convincing cinematic.

As for playing them, Im thinking Bink Video - they got flybys to work when you clicked a custom linking panel so it must be possivle :)
Mystified Explorer

Postby Pryftan » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:42 pm

The problems I can see come from locking the player's avatar, and working with that in a multiplayer environment. Does everyone in the Age get locked? Everyone within a radius? Or do we not do any locking, in which case the filmed avatars won't necessarily be facing the player, removing a lot of realistic value?
.rilvoohee vehrehnehm vokan pam mahnshootahv rub voohee taygahnehm mahtahntahv
Pryftan

Postby Gorobay » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:42 pm

Pryftan wrote:Come to think of it, did the avatar's motion freeze when Yeesha appeared for real at the end of PotS? I forget.

Yeesha doesn't actually appear at the end of PotS. You just hear her voice. When you get linked to the Ferry Terminal and see the holes in the cavern ceiling the camera is locked, until you get linked back to K'veer. Also, when Yeesha talks to you in the rainy cleft at the end of ABM the camera is locked.
KI: 07251794
Gorobay

Postby Whilyam » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:09 pm

The avatar cannot move when Yeesha talks to you in the rainy Cleft "the gift of life in the desert" etc.
Whilyam

PreviousNext

Return to Search for the Springs of Kehlbet