Introduction to SftSoK

Originally begun at GoAC, Search for the Springs of Kehlbet is an ambitious fangame project currently seeking major HELP in these areas: Musicians and Sound Design, Concept Artists, Writers and/or Story Consultants, Modelers, Texture Artists, Designers, Voice Actors. Please post inside if you'd like to contribute!

Introduction to SftSoK

Postby Kato » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:08 pm

In early-mid 2005, the Guild of Age Crafters decided to create a fangame. Having achieved a healthy stream of members with quite a few talents, we had begun putting together a portfolio of our work, but decided that a fangame would be a good idea too, to show our talent. So, we used a story idea by me and several Age ideas by Mystified Explorer as the basis for a new game called "Search for the Springs of Kehlbet." We started at the two logical places to start: story and technology. We created a healthy story that I'm still proud of today, the spoiler-free version (or "so far") version seen in my story thread here. As far as technology, we were completely lost. We were a community for visual and auditory artists--not programmers. Very few programmers were there and almost none who could create a whole engine for us. So, that summer, we looked tediously for engines. I know a lot about engines to this day because I've researched just about every one out there and tried a healthy portion of them. At the time, we decided to use Blender's game engine as a basis. I still have a few of those techdemos (a showcase Age and a fairly working Guerr), but, honestly, our work with the Blender "engine," was pretty terrible.

Then, a light! PyPRP was released! Immediately, we knew that we had to make our game as a mod for URU now. We wanted it that way originally, but knew no timeframe on the Blender plugins.

At this point, mid-late 2005, GoAC went down. My entire server underwent a transition. It was not running again until early-mid 2006, and by this time, all momentum was gone. We tried some rudimentary recruiting and some work was done (a trailer went out (which I'll find ASAP), screenshots were posted (see bottom), minor publicity), but, this incarnation didn't get far off the ground. In early 2007 GoAC and the admins lives (mine especially XD) were consumed by the fiasco that was the GoAC/AB merger, which this forum finally put an end to (thank the Maker!), so, very little work was done in that regard.

But now! All of that is behind us. The GoW lives! And with it, I finally have a competent workforce with which to complete the project that has been my dream and my vice for over two years. I'm burning the project to the ground. The story will probably need major rewrites. The Age list will be restarted. I'm keeping Guerr and La Tranquile, but starting over on them completely. Anyone who previously contributed an Age idea should resubmit it. Mystified Explorer will be co-manager again, for now, and I will find other roles to be filled. Anyone who wants to contribute is 100% welcome to. Post your Age ideas which you might consider contributing to the project here. I may have a few assignments for concept artists which I'll post here, open for anyone to complete them. If need be, I'll create separate department and/or private sections as time goes on, but for now, I just want to do some rudimentary and, especially, story work.

So there it is, the saga of SftSoK (also Soft Sock, the codename for the game ;)). For now...enjoy these screenshots!

-Kato
(explorer card designed and created by me)
Kato

Re: Introduction to SftSoK

Postby Justintime9 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:40 pm

Wow, that looks spectacular kato! what... work needs to be done currently? I'd be willing to help if i can :D
Justintime9

Postby saavadro » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:50 pm

im an actor, so I can do story writing/consultation and/or voice acting if you need me
saavadro

Postby Mystified Explorer » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:29 pm

Hello!

Those screenshots are from the Age of Cerrodahn, which I was working on before things turned to custard.

I'd love to resubmit the 4 ideas we originally had for my ages, but with some extensive reworkings of course :)

The trailer is here.

Also I'll repost the maps for everyone to look at and suggest improvements :)
Mystified Explorer

Return to Search for the Springs of Kehlbet