A Slight Storyline, and puzzles

A beautiful, colorful jungle Age with many secrets. HELP WANTED!

Moderator: Justintime9

A Slight Storyline, and puzzles

Postby Justintime9 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:11 pm

I posted this in Storyline discussion, but I think this deseves a seperate thread, because it could, ultimatly help this project get a move on. anyway, a few days ago I was brainstorming for Ideas, and I wrote an outline of all the possibilities, and figured it all out! Well, first of all, it dawned on me that the storyline didn't have to be this massive "historical event" or history, we were forgeting that simplicity is sometimes the best!

Ok, first of all, when the played links in, they appear in a cozy hut, something along these lines: Image
And, the player will notice that when they link in, there is a journal on a table nearby. Upon picking up the journal, they will see that it is a journal from one of the age's writers (probably me :D) it will explain how the age was before they linked in, their personal observations, and what new structures have been built. (the link in hut, the lightning rods, and some new mechanics have been built by them, the yinfara temple, and the waterfall were the only origional areas [built by natives long long ago]) there will be a few hints, and clues in this journal, and perhaps, some pictures of the age before it's "renovation".

the player will eventually find themself at the waterfall, and there will be a "secret" door on the brick wall: Image
upon looking a bit closer, it becomes apparent to the player, that there is a combination on the door,and a "power bar" Image
The door is locked until the bar is full, and the combination is changed. The player then looks around the island again, and

upon noting the various "telephone poles" (actually lightning rods) and the frequent lightning storms, they return to the link in hut, and see the "power box": Image
with each press of the button, one of the lightning rods will rise, and the rest will fall. when a storm comes around, and that rod is struck by lightning, it will power up that area. The beacon on the rod will light up, and stay lit up, and the "Power bar" on the waterfall door will go up a bit. now, only one rod can be open per storm, so the player must wait for a new storm each time they try to bring energy to annother area. all areas will work the same way... execpt the Swamp, which, because of it's dampness has a lever hidden somewhere in it, that must be pulled in order for the lightning rod to be able to rise (if it wasn't there, the wires for the rod would eventually be worn out) So, the player upon seeing that the rod will not rise, go and investigate, and find the lever, pull it, and go back to the control pannel. after all the areas have power, the "Power bar" on waterfall will be full... but there's still the combination :D

This is where the yinfara temple comes in. It was originally built by natives, but the writer has made some adjustments to his advantage. The Sky is always changing color, and is doing so even though the storms (although their color is more intense) when the sky is completely one color, the sunlight or moonlight will shine though the panes in the temple, and highlight one part of the carpet (the Geode will not be in there) Image
(it may not be exacly like this, but pretty close) this will happen for the green sky, blue, purple, orange etc. and finally, the player must enter the symbols in the right order (as they saw from the temple symbols what symbol what what color) and finally, after getting the power bar full, and the right combination, the door will open (yay!:D) a room will be revealed behind it (perhaps a staircase going down to it) and there will be a large aray of artifact, journals, and genearally stuff that makes the puzzles rewarding.

The lighning, and colored sky puzzles can be done at the same time (so that the player doesn't get bored, just waiting for storms) the storyline is just the simple story of the writer of the age, and the distant artifacts left from a native people. we can add some to it (i know two puzzles may be not enough) but just, tell me what you think :D is it good? (pleese say yes, so we can begin actually making this age)
Justintime9

Re: A Slight Storyline, and puzzles

Postby Lontahv » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:25 pm

I like it. :D Err, I think you already knew that. LOL
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby Justintime9 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:43 am

lol ya, a few weeks... or months ago, there would've already been 5 pages in this topic by this time :P where did everybody go? did we loose them? :?
:P this is what I get for taking so long to figure out a story...
Justintime9

Postby Lontahv » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:32 pm

What about posting on the MOUL forum and the maintainers' forum?

Oh and also, I know that you can get custom pics into the KI but, have you gotten any pics of your ages in yet? I'm pretty sure that they don't let pics of fan-ages through--I might submit a bug of ask greydragon or something, so that they either let me put my yinfara pics into my KI of they say that there is a problem, i'm having the lost-in-the-mail response when I try to upload some pics of yinfara. :P.
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv

Postby Justintime9 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:57 am

actually, you can send pics of player created ages in, but they have to say something like "this is not a real MOUL KI picture" or something. I acually have a pic of yinfara in my KI (or, at least your Yinfara temple export)
Justintime9

Postby Gorobay » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:54 pm

Does this mean the shipwrecked person idea is out? How often do storms come? Do you have an idea as to what the rewarding artifacts are? What about the birds that get hit by lightning? I liked the part about the birds, but there is the problem about why the lightning doesn't hit trees.

You mention "natives". How big is this island supposed to be? A few times bigger than Myst, about? I don't think an island that small could support many natives. Anyway, what happened to them?

I do like the idea of controlling lightning rods and opening a door, but that is only a good start. I think that, due to the size of the island and the fact that there is only one original building, the idea of one shipwrecked person makes more sense. Instead of saying the natives did something, say this guy did it. Also, it would provide better opportunities for story: the person came to the island, did stuff, and left. The story and rewarding journals could be his, explaining what happened and how he left.

Here is a general puzzle idea: you said "the player must wait for a new storm each time they try to bring energy to annother area". That makes it sound like each rod powers an area, but in that post they are only used to open the door. What if there were various machines around the island, so the rods would contribute to opening the door and power an area? An area, once powered, would contain other puzzles or places that could only be solved or accessed by powering them.

You said you built the lightning rods. That must mean you built the door and the lock, and you must have filled the room with the rewarding objects. Why? I think it is better to have a mysterious native/shipwrecked person make all that, because that makes more sense.

And another thing: is this map still valid?
KI: 07251794
Gorobay

Postby Justintime9 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:12 am

Does this mean the shipwrecked person idea is out?
yup... I never did like the shipwrecked Idea... there were too many flaws in the design... and it just seemed un-mysterious (like we're writing a Surival novel instead of a mysterious age)
How often do storms come?
good question... they can't come too frequent, or it would be unrealistic... but they can't be too far apart, because the player will get bored. so, probably every 10-15 minutes or so... or that could be too long... we'll have to discuss this in more detail later.
Do you have an idea as to what the rewarding artifacts are?
Well, I was sort of Imagining it having a bunch of rewarding stuff, like journals, artifacts from the natives, and some maybe a T-shirt if cyan would allow it... I'm not sure about that, got any suggestions?
What about the birds that get hit by lightning? I liked the part about the birds, but there is the problem about why the lightning doesn't hit trees.
hmm... well, as much as that was a good Idea, it sort of doesn't seems to fit in with things now... Lon's glass hut doesn't look like it was made with glass orbs... and I always did think that sounded a bit far fetched (birds nests getting hit by lightning I mean) and as far as the trees not getting hit, it's because the lightning rods are always the highest point on the island.
You mention "natives". How big is this island supposed to be? A few times bigger than Myst, about? I don't think an island that small could support many natives. Anyway, what happened to them?
well, I'm assuming that perhaps a few stray natives got lost from their clan, and stayed for a little bit on the Island of yinfara... they built the waterfall to lessen the amount of water on that side of the island, because the land was too marshy and wet... so the waterfall keeps out excess water... they probably built the glass hut as worship of their god (whom is unknown, because there is no Idol in the hut... unless the origional Idol is in the reward room, and was just taken out by me) and eventually after a year or so... the native's clan came to get them, and thus, the empty island. so, it's sort of like a cross between the robinson curoesoe storyline, and the natives storyline :D
I do like the idea of controlling lightning rods and opening a door, but that is only a good start. I think that, due to the size of the island and the fact that there is only one original building, the idea of one shipwrecked person makes more sense. Instead of saying the natives did something, say this guy did it. Also, it would provide better opportunities for story: the person came to the island, did stuff, and left. The story and rewarding journals could be his, explaining what happened and how he left.
well, as I said before, there are just a few natives who got stranded, and built a few stuctures... and about the shipwrected person Idea... he couldn't have a journal, because he can't speak english... so perhaps the standed native's story could be told by Me, in one of my journals, (perhaps the one at the beginning, or in the room of rewards) and... an excuse for there not being as much artifacts from the natives, could be that I Moved them all to the room or rewards (perhaps because they were cluttering up the place, or they might have been of some value, and worth being locked away.)
Here is a general puzzle idea: you said "the player must wait for a new storm each time they try to bring energy to annother area". That makes it sound like each rod powers an area, but in that post they are only used to open the door. What if there were various machines around the island, so the rods would contribute to opening the door and power an area? An area, once powered, would contain other puzzles or places that could only be solved or accessed by powering them.
that's a great Idea! I was thinking the age would be rather plain with only two puzzles... so, ya that would be a great Idea, and perhaps we could have some artifacts, or something guiding the player along the storyline along the way...
You said you built the lightning rods. That must mean you built the door and the lock, and you must have filled the room with the rewarding objects. Why? I think it is better to have a mysterious native/shipwrecked person make all that, because that makes more sense.
yes, I built the door, and installed the lock, to keep the artifacts, and things of value, safe. I didn't want some annoying explorer to go around breaking and vandalizing the Island's historical objects. the reward room will be sort of like a museum, a bunch of statues... some journals explaining individual artifacts... so, this should be a good enough reason for the room... and having the other puzzles around the island will help this too... if it were just the two puzzles, it would mean that whatever is in there is VERY important, and must be uncovered at all costs... having just a bunch of artifacts in there would be a tad dissapointing if it weren't for some other puzzles to make the main puzzle not seem as Important.
And another thing: is this map still valid?
yes, it's still fairly acurate... we might need to make a few adjustments, but other than that, it's pretty good.

O, and if I seem a bit inconsistant in this post, it's because more Ideas are comming to me as I write :P
Justintime9

Postby Gorobay » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:02 am

Justintime9 wrote:well, I'm assuming that perhaps a few stray natives got lost from their clan, and stayed for a little bit on the Island of yinfara... they built the waterfall to lessen the amount of water on that side of the island, because the land was too marshy and wet... so the waterfall keeps out excess water... they probably built the glass hut as worship of their god (whom is unknown, because there is no Idol in the hut... unless the origional Idol is in the reward room, and was just taken out by me) and eventually after a year or so... the native's clan came to get them, and thus, the empty island. so, it's sort of like a cross between the robinson curoesoe storyline, and the natives storyline :D

Yeah, that's a good idea.

well, as I said before, there are just a few natives who got stranded, and built a few stuctures... and about the shipwrected person Idea... he couldn't have a journal, because he can't speak english... so perhaps the standed native's story could be told by Me, in one of my journals, (perhaps the one at the beginning, or in the room of rewards) and... an excuse for there not being as much artifacts from the natives, could be that I Moved them all to the room or rewards (perhaps because they were cluttering up the place, or they might have been of some value, and worth being locked away.)

That is a good explanation, but there would have to be interesting stuff about the natives around the island in other places, or no one would care about them enough to be interested in the artifacts.
KI: 07251794
Gorobay

Postby Justintime9 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:08 pm

good point... perhaps there could be a pedistal or something that something fits into (on the island) and the thing that fits into it is in the room or rewards. this would open annother secret room, but this time, it's an area that I did not discover. there would be a hut or something where the natives lived... or... I dunno that might be sort of redundant (two secret rooms) but anyhoo... perhaps I could have notes and short papers throughout the island that keep the player interested in the storyline... what do you think?
Justintime9

Postby Lontahv » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:48 pm

I have a suggestion: I think there should be large amounts of jungle to explore when one becomes tired of the puzzles. I think that the layout that JFT has is good only that I think it should be LARGER and should have more terrain variation ie. higher high-points and lower low-points.
Lontahv

Next

Return to Yinfara