A Slight Storyline, and puzzles

A beautiful, colorful jungle Age with many secrets. HELP WANTED!

Moderator: Justintime9

Re: A Slight Storyline, and puzzles

Postby Gorobay » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:58 pm

yes, I built the door, and installed the lock, to keep the artifacts, and things of value, safe. I didn't want some annoying explorer to go around breaking and vandalizing the Island's historical objects.

I think it would be better for the natives to have built all that. It opens up the possibility of other lightning-rod-related puzzles that you didn't (IC) create, and your present explanation is not really realistic. I can understand wanting to protect artifacts, but not locking them away where no one can (easily) find them. I think it would make more sense that you would put all the stuff behind glass or museum barriers in the beginning hut, or another building, where anyone could look at them but not vandalize them. Then, the secret door and chamber would actually be more meaningful, since they'd be actual discoveries of ancient stuff in themselves, instead of breaking and entering into a modern-day vault.

About the story: I know you want to keep it simple, so here is my simple proposal: a few people came to the island. They weren't actually native to the island, but I'll call them natives. They built the rods, the temple, the waterfall, the secret door, and a communal house (this may or may not be the link-in hut). They did things with the lightning rods that can be the puzzles (though they weren't meant to be puzzles at the time). They left after a while. Justintime9 wrote a link to Yinfara, added artifacts to the house and made it into more of a museum, and let people explore.

Having a jungle area solely for exploration is a good idea, if it is filled with interesting things, like what the pods should be.
KI: 07251794
Gorobay

Postby Justintime9 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:44 pm

Hmmm... Interesting Idea... except, the link in hut... if it was built by natives, then it would be a big coincidence that the link in spot just happens to be inside one of the island's few buildings... and if I built it on the other hand... the lightning rod in the middle of the hut shouldn't be there... and the control panel wouldn't be in english (unless I figured it out, and translated it) or... perhaps this could be true... and there was a lightning rod origionally in that spot, and I just built the hut around it... there might have been a staircase in that spot origionally, and it is still there, just in a corner of the room. when you bring power to the main hut, it'll bring power to the lights in the underground room (origionaly dug by natives, but currently used as a museum) so, that this "Green Hut Cellar" would have something to power up, plus it would open up more storyline :D
Justintime9

Postby Chacal » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:43 pm

Justintime9 wrote:if it was built by natives, then it would be a big coincidence that the link in spot just happens to be inside one of the island's few buildings

It wouldn't be a coincidence. IC, you would write the description of the area surrounding the link-in point. So you would describe a hut with lightning rod, etc.
The book would link to a planet with such a hut, or the closest thing to it.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Justintime9 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:08 pm

ah... I see... I guess I just didn't think the art was that specific :P
Justintime9

Postby Chacal » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:09 am

Well the more specific you get, the more you risk to be disappointed by what you link to.
Chacal

-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Gorobay » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:22 am

Or it could be that the link-in spot is in a location because you thought it would give a nice view of the island, and coincidentally the natives built a hut there because it gave a nice view of the island.
Gorobay

Postby Justintime9 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:25 am

ah... i see... well, some qualms i have with having the natives build everything, is

1. the language... I'll have to have translated the words on the control panel, and other places where their language is seen... or it'll be confuzing.

2. are the people really that advanced? I seem to Imagine some primitive "American Indian" type people that only know how to bulild with raw materials... and yet... they were able to build this glass hut. what did they do? start welding, and cutting panes? did they build a glass cutter's shop for their brief stay on the island?
Justintime9

Postby Gorobay » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:57 am

Yeah, why not? Maybe on Yinfara that is normal and not advanced at all. I wouldn't worry about that too much.

For the language problem, maybe they have pictures on the control panel instead of words, so we can figure it out. Or maybe you don't translate the words on the control panel and people figure it out by trying different buttons and seeing what happens.
Gorobay

Postby Justintime9 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:03 am

Hmmm that's a good Idea... the symbols Idea sounds good :D then again, no words or symbols at all would be a chalage... but I think symbols would be best :)
Justintime9

Postby Chacal » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:54 am

Think Noloben.
Chacal

-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

PreviousNext

Return to Yinfara