Island Construction

A beautiful, colorful jungle Age with many secrets. HELP WANTED!

Moderator: Justintime9

Re: Island Construction

Postby Justintime9 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:28 am

Well, not nessecarily... I still Imagine it like that... but i imagine the whole island as a whole, as having the same quality as the original ages of MYST... u know, they sort of had a strangly surreal quality to them, that made exploring them wonderful... not that riven, Exile and revelation isn't good, but the original MYST (or realMYST) had more of a mysterious feel to it... so I think what I'm shooting for, is to make it have a sort of Desolate beauty... very Mysterious, and awe inspiring... the kind of place you never know what you might find, and you can't wait to find something more.
Justintime9

Postby Naigahsehn » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:12 pm

Sounds very cool - I really like where this age is going. The jungle-island atmosphere is a concept you could get very "mysterious" with. I like it :D

If you need some assistance, I could do some conceptual sketches based on your writings? Then I could ost them when I have the time - it's up to you, it's your age. Just PM me your answer, alright.
~Naigahsehn
Naigahsehn

Postby Lontahv » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:19 pm

Well, I've been pausing to think about the jungle for a while. Here's some of what I've decided HAS to be in the jungle to make it... er, jungle-ly. :)

Ok, first on the list are vines, these are needed so that the jungle feels real rather than a pile of duplicate trees scattered around(and overall, more types of plants)

Fog: the jungle needs this to make it seem "thick"(I have some technical ideas concerning this, possible at this moment).
Creatures: it needs some kind of creature to make strange sounds.

All of the rest is up to you(Justin). This is if you want a "jungle" rather than a "forest" or a "tree-garden/orchard-thing".

~Lontahv
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby Justintime9 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:16 am

Ok, but remember, we wan't to give it a cozy feeling, not a "oh no, I'm lost in the jungle" feeling, so, we should definitly have multicolored light filtering through the trees, and yes, some other plants, some vines, and definitly fog. The animial would be good, as long is it's not some scary sounding croaking or something.
O, and how's the link in hut doing?
Justintime9

Postby Lontahv » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:24 am

I'm adding some last touches on it--Nadnerb helped a bit with the light. :)

We have to decide about a 120vAC powersource--so that we can use regular lamps etc. I'm thinking of some kind of river-power. We need this so that the Yinfara power stuff and be on the fritz and you can still have power to run you say, lightbulb. The powersource needs to work with the landscape--I think we should work on that a little.

I have this idea to have a dell carpeted with trees and if you stand on the steep slope you can see the treetops covering the earth. Think round crater. ;)

~Lontahv
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv

Postby Justintime9 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:03 pm

Oooo awesome! :D can't wait to see it... and about the powersource... perhaps a wire runs to the swamp, and there's a water power generator there... O! and, that'd make sense, cuz u know the switch you have to switch, in the swamp, in order to unlock the lightning rod, perhaps the switch just shifts the link in hut power, from water power, to lightning power! :D and, about the dell Idea... what exactly do you mean by that?
Justintime9

Postby Lontahv » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:23 pm

About the dell idea--it's just a vision of a certain place I have, I think it would be creepy if you understood fully. ;)

Also, I don't think the hut's power should have anything to do with lighting-power--this is for our stuff we bring there, we can have some "native" lighting-powered lights in the hut too. They can turn on when power is supplied. We want our power to be disconnected from the lighting-thing, we don't want functionality getting in the way of puzzles. :)

~Lontahv
Lontahv

Postby Naigahsehn » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:52 pm

Here's the sketches I made (and Justintime9 approved :D), there'll be more on the way:
Attachments
Concept2_edited.JPG
Concept2_edited.JPG (204.09 KiB) Viewed 4986 times
~Naigahsehn
Naigahsehn

Postby Lontahv » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:10 pm

That's really good. :) It looks just how I imagined it--perfect. Keep up the good work. :)

~Lontahv
Lontahv

Postby Jojon » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:37 am

Ooooh! So the rods are actually chisled ore pillars, rather than pure metal? That should look awesome with the right sort of specularity map.
Jojon

PreviousNext

Return to Yinfara