Island Construction

A beautiful, colorful jungle Age with many secrets. HELP WANTED!

Moderator: Justintime9

Re: Island Construction

Postby Lontahv » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:20 pm

But I agree about the size--it should be bigger. :)

~Lontahv
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby Justintime9 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:39 am

ya... I think the trees really will make a difference though, and fog will make it easy to get lost, especially when it's nighttime.
Justintime9

Postby Lontahv » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:48 am

Ok, I have a question for you Justin. Where will the water in that's collecting in the pool go? Should there be some pipes and pumps to move the water away? I think it'd be better to have a little channel that the water can flow through. Pumps can be used in other ways. ;)

~Lontahv
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv

Postby Justintime9 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:09 am

how about you just have a pipe, like that model you did awhile ago.
Justintime9

Postby Lontahv » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:41 pm

What will it be made of? I know this is not that important but... it must be considered because you can't make pipes out of anything. :)

~Lontahv
Lontahv

Postby Justintime9 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:45 pm

oh... I dunno, how bout Iron Ore from the mountains?

O, and how's the link in hut going? I really look forward to seeing how it turns out :D
Justintime9

Postby Lontahv » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:33 am

With the hut I just need to export it and see. I don't think it can be really "done" until we get the landscape in place--we can get it to a point but, it could cause problems with everything being so modular. I think the rest of the stuff (like the dam-tunnel) should be put on hold until we can get the landscape and even tree-dummies put in place--it's looking more and more like there shouldn't be the locked dam-door outside... it should be inside the dam and reachable by man-hole and ladder in the top of the dam. :)

Let's work on those trees a bit. Not sure what you have in mind but, I liked the latest design--palm-ish look. :) This kind of non-common tree will be VERY easy to model and it'll cut down on verts.

~Lontahv
Lontahv

Postby Lontahv » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:00 am

Or what about having the locked door being in the side of a slope? That'd be really cool--it would seem like a bunker... which is what it was. We can have some caves too(lava-tube tunnels and such) I'm thinking of yinfara having very rich volcanic soil--a violent past, but now all that remains is the mountain. This would explain where the geode-hut geodes are from. We could visit the quarry ourselves and, we can visit the rock-quarries too, they'd be like steps taken out of the side of the volcano/mountain, and they'd have that "old-quarry" look to them being grown over by new tree-roots but still visible.

As much as we'll be studying the natives, we'll also be interested in the geologic-makeup of the island--I think we should have some old volcano/magma tubes that you can go into. Maybe these could be part of the pump system(tubes) or/and could be connected to their "bunker", it could run throughout the island connecting it. Of course for normal travel we use the paths. Imagine a native-built hole in the ground, and then it's drilled into the natural magma-tube and that is an entry point for the tunnels. Of course to explore them, you'll either need a modern flashlight OR the island's power-systems going(endgame?).

~Lontahv
Lontahv

Postby Justintime9 » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:25 am

Ah, I see... first, let's go with Naiglasehn's tree pictures, they capture it pretty well... now, about all the Ideas about volcanism and stuff... and about your Idea... I think we shouldn't change anything at this point unless we really have to... And, unless there's something inherently wrong with having a door behind the waterfall, let's not change that either :) (if there is though, please tell me) I don't think it'd have the same effect if the entrance was in a hill... but I guess for now we can put that on hold, until we get the trees and stuff :)
Justintime9

Postby Lontahv » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:22 pm

Well, if we're going to have a door in the left end of the dam... then we'll need to change the landscape slightly. (no big deal, but it's better to know sooner than later because once we've textured etc. it may be hard to just "brush" a bit of the land away-like we can now)

Oh and, I made the island bigger and the it seemed too big and the number of trees would have to be 70000+, then I inched it down until it seemed right, it was about the same as before, I think it should be hard to find things not because everything is far away--it should be hard to find them because the forest is dense. I'd rather be able to polish the forest and make everything very good rather than have to have a landscape-sim type thing because it's so vast. :) I'm thinking we'll only have to have 6000 trees. It can be a smallish island. Trust me, you don't want it like minkata. ;)

~Lontahv
Lontahv

PreviousNext

Return to Yinfara