Island Construction

A beautiful, colorful jungle Age with many secrets. HELP WANTED!

Moderator: Justintime9

Re: Island Construction

Postby ABguy » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:48 pm

You should take a look at the website. http://www.guildofstorytellers.net We aren't as well known as the writers, but we still do anything to help out the community.
ABguy

Postby Justintime9 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:53 am

wow :) I really like your sketches (although the waterfall is actually built into a brick wall)
and, is there any way to make our trees look realistic, and not have them too big? I mean, I don't want the trees to be kadish trees, or delin trees... they should be tall, but not that tall. I've always wanted just a forest age... would too many trees cause lag or something?
Justintime9

Postby ABguy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:01 pm

If your going for realism it can cause a good deal of lag for the user. There are ways to cheat at the problem, give me some time and I will see if I can come up with some solutions for you. ATM Im really busy and recovering from a cold. I will try to post a blender file in the next few weeks. If you guys get it fixed to your satisfaction before than then... awesome :D . I hold currently two jobs go to school and am working on my own expansion for URUCC so I will get to it when I can.
ABguy

Postby ABguy » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:54 pm

I took another crack at your waterfall this one took me a bit more time than 5 minutes. But I wanted to think about this. I remember years ago watching a show on the History channel about a sect in (I think Columbia Not sure) South america that created this amazing feat of engineering... What they did is take a bunch of boulders that are all different sizes and mill them using nothing more than hand tools and manual labor creating this solid ridgid structure that was perfectly straight despite the odd sizes of stones. To this day you can't even fit a razor into the cracks of those stones... I thought something like that would be somewhat appropriate here. I Still have the wall curved backward with the waterfall but I tried to make it look a little more unusual which is what I think makes it interesting plus I still believe that curving that wall back will make it fit better... Tell me what you think.

Show Spoiler
ABguy

Postby Lontahv » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:17 pm

It looks good. But we're imagining it MUCH smaller. Justin's thinking about the pool it goes into being a bit bigger than the Relto-pool.

I think he's going for comfort rather than awe with the waterfall. Also, remember that the non-salty sea is going through the waterfall. This is a seawall. :)

Also, remember that it needs a dense forest of the Yinfara trees. I can't really imagine a dense forest of the trees that you have in the art. But then again, I don't know how my tree design will be duplicated 1000 times. :shock:

You're really talented. :)

Keep up the good work, just try to include the stuff that's been decided so far.

Thanks for doing this for us. :)

~Lontahv
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby Justintime9 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:14 am

ya :) and, there's nothing at the top of the waterfall except water :D
other than that (and what Lon said) it looks great :D
Justintime9

Postby Lontahv » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:42 pm

I like how the end of the dam curls around so the door can be almost straight-on. I think I'll make my model do that. :)

~Lontahv
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv

Postby ABguy » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:24 pm

The concept behind the trees is rather cool. But complicated. I've decided to approaching from two possible angles, both angles I'm going to draw out before I start working on the model. Both ideas/angles will work probably, but its going to effect how the area looks drastically.

Before I begin though I want to make sure I fully understand what it is your wanting. As for the sea wall I was just trying to throw some ideas at you to see what would stick and what would slide off the wall :)

Now for the Forest Im assuming you want something simular to what is depicted below.
Show Spoiler
ABguy

Postby ABguy » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:40 pm

I think this drawing probably is a bit better than the previous. What Im thinking could be done is create the trees somewhat slender with long branches then attach a mesh on top of the tree that kind of sprawls out and can cover a reasonible distance. The mesh could be a layer of twigs and leaves with small gaps to allow light through... Then every so often to put a few leaves which are colored in there. I think it can be done without too much loss in preformance. Let me know what you guys think about that.

Show Spoiler
ABguy

Postby Lontahv » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:07 pm

Nice, I really like the second one. :)

I'm thinking to make the lower branches real, then the tops just a flat image of leaves, and from a distance I'll have the trees fade out and be replaced by sprite-trees. This will be using Cluster-Groups (called dupli-verts in blender) for the trees to reduce file size. I think plasma can handle 500 trees at once, then I have mist and vines to fill out the forest(and hide the non-visible parts).

The second one would be a bit better if it had vines and jungle stuff(jungle bushes etc.) it looks kind of like a forest in Europe the way it is. We want a little more of that "thick jungle" feel to it.

Also, it's pretty hard to merge 2d and 3d things and have it look good, that's why I'm thinking about full modeled lower branches--we don't want the canopy-plane to be too low.

~Lontahv
Lontahv

PreviousNext

Return to Yinfara