Island Construction

A beautiful, colorful jungle Age with many secrets. HELP WANTED!

Moderator: Justintime9

Island Construction

Postby Justintime9 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:55 am

While modeling the individual places on the island is good, before we do the waterfall and swamp we'll have to actually create an island to put them on, as both those places are built right into the island.
I've made a few adjustments to JFT's map, so basically just try to model the island. not the places, but the island. You don't have to add the trees yet, but they'll have to be added at some time.

Justintime9

Re: Island Construction

Postby Lontahv » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:45 pm

So, two glass huts? :)
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby Justintime9 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 5:03 pm

Well, the second one is the one at the end you have to access by going through the door, and underground. It's sorta like the Endgame... Read the summary of Yinara (click my sig) :D it explains it there.
Justintime9

Postby Lontahv » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:06 pm

What about if we have the waterfall be the outpost and endgame-hut, all in one?

You see, I was thinking, if they want to stay in their outpost they'll need food and water. If this is a place they can fortify then they'll need a stream that starts IN this place; the WATERFALL! I think the waterfall should not be salty--I think it's best if either those seas around are not seas at all(a big lake) or if the waterfall doesn't come from the surrounding waters. Now... how would you hide a glass-hut in the forest? What about if we have a central tree--a big old tree nearish to the sea. Then this can be an outpost, and under the roots can be the only freshwater spring on the island. This would be the tree-of-life indeed. :) Here's a quick sketch of what I mean:

and in a tree-house(like channelwood) there would be an outpost and anyone who had control of this place would control the island. :) This would be a stronghold and a place for people to come and get water at the source. Of course the stream that resulted after the pool would flow out to the sea via a small stream and then form an estuary.

~Lontahv :)
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv

Postby Justintime9 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:36 am

Hmmm... I dunno, something about a big tree being on top of the waterfall... doen't appeal to me... but hey! I know... we could have the tunnels running underground for awhile, and the outpost could be on top of one of the mountains! that way you could have a spectacular veiw of the whole island!
Justintime9

Postby Jojon » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:36 am

Lontahv wrote:What about if we have the waterfall be the outpost and endgame-hut, all in one?

Wow! Hold on to that idea, Lon. For another age; scale it up -- make the waterfall large and tall - say a vertical drop of several hundred meters at the edge of a plateau, with forested flatlands below. Then make the tree enormus and have it straddle the waterfall, exposed roots in between, where the river has washed the dirt away. The tree (in which all action takes place, save for flybys) should probably grow so that it reaches out over the edge. Bet it would look awesome. :)
Jojon

Postby Lontahv » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:08 pm

I like the idea of a separate age for that idea. :D

I like the idea of mountains, but they should be rocky and tree-less. :)
I'll play around a bit with some concept.

~Lontahv
Lontahv

Postby Justintime9 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:04 pm

ok :) O, and hows the link in hut comming along?
Justintime9

Postby Lontahv » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:45 pm

I've made it bigger and it's much better. :) I've made the roof and top walls a bit darker; much better. But I need to make it a little warmer, it looks cozier but the corners of the place are kind of a cold-dark rather than a warm-brown-dark. I

'll try to work on it a bit tomorrow but... I think Sunday's and the last half of tomorrow are going to be crazy because of the RAD judging. 8-) Don't worry, I'll work on it. It's made great leaps but, it's not "just right" so, I think it's time for another release. Releases are kind of hard because you need to upload a huge file rather than working on it... so I try to release only when I've reached a mile-stone.

And I wouldn't want yinfara to be responsible for making my judging bad. :P And I don't think you want that either. :P

This is all I can say for sure at this point; It'll be on my mind during the weekend. :)

~Lontahv
Lontahv

Postby Jojon » Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:02 am

Lontahv wrote:I like the idea of a separate age for that idea. :D

I like the idea of mountains, but they should be rocky and tree-less. :)
I'll play around a bit with some concept.

~Lontahv

If you prefer -- it's your idea after all :). I was however thinking, not of mountains at all, but of a huge flat rain forest type thingie, where these massive trees, four to five times bigger than all the other trees, grows several kilometers apart. Then, at some point in history, a major tectonic event caused half the plateau to sink a full kilometer, leaving us with the monstrous falloff. The same cataclysm deformed part of the landscape, so that the river got rerouted right into the tree. Maybe one could use the pollination system of these very sparse trees to give the player a ride... :D

To touch on the topic of the thread ;), about the Yinfara trees; when Justin first described them, I was imagining the forest something like a really pleasant stand of young birches, with a carpet of light grass and leaves, bright and open, the canopies merging into a colourful and again bright ceiling above - all like a natural cathedral. I believe you two are working towards something else? :7
Jojon

Next

Return to Yinfara