Yinfara Storyline

A beautiful, colorful jungle Age with many secrets. HELP WANTED!

Moderator: Justintime9

Re: Yinfara Storyline

Postby Lontahv » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:16 pm

How I want yinfara to come out is: I want it to have the homey feel of myst island, and the kind of puzzles that were in minkata and todelmer, and something totally new. :)
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Postby Justintime9 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:59 pm

that's exactly how I feel! I definitly want it to feel homey like Myst. O, and lontahv, let's not add anything new until we've worked out the storyline... u know, so we know what the stuff will be for.
Justintime9

Postby Lontahv » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:25 pm

I was thinking about the storyline and what it needs, and I think it needs there to be an exciting past that you discover--if it's not an old book the past would have to take place before the link was made ie. natives, But natives of what? We say that people are native to a country or a state, so these native could be native to this particular island, and then they can have to deal with strange people form a distant island, kind of like if the had d'ni come and had to deal with the strange world of yinfara. There is something that I don't like about the original ages of myst: they make it seem like it's just that island and nothing else in that world. To avoid this we should try to imagine if we found another island on earth. That would be soo great! But imagine finding a WHOLE world, not all the cultures would be alike -- you might find WHOLE race of people that are completely different from the rivenese on Riven. I think what we need is a boat (or better yet an under sea tunnel) or something that takes you to another island of yinfara with different artifacts/buildings. :)
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv

Postby Justintime9 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:32 am

well, personally that seems a bit drastic, but I see what you're saying, perhaps we can see annother island in the distance, with smoke comming out of a chimney or something, so it looks like it's inhabited...
Justintime9

Postby Lontahv » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:12 pm

Yeah, something like that would do the trick quite well. :)
Lontahv

Postby Justintime9 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:04 pm

ya... we need to come up with something good... that would fit with the age...
Justintime9

Postby Justintime9 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:57 am

take a look at this: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=877&st=0&sk=t&sd=a now finally we have this burden of "let's discover ages instead of make them" off our backs! now we can actually go on with a storyline... in fact, let's have a guild meeting discussing this... what day and time would be the best for you guys?
Justintime9

Postby Chacal » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:19 am

Justin, this is nothing new. The matter is not settled at all, but this has no bearing on your storyline for your Age.

Your best bet is to write a story of your own, the way youy like it, without waiting for approval from anyone. Otherwise you'll never move forward.
Chacal

"The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is an attribute of the strong."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Chacal

Postby Justintime9 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:21 pm

true... but I'm having trouble thinking of Ideas... I guess I should just brainstorm.
Justintime9

Postby Justintime9 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:28 am

OK! I finally got it!!! a few days ago I was brainstorming for Ideas, and I wrote an outline of all the possibilities, and figured it all out! Well, first of all, it dawned on me that the storyline didn't have to be this massive "historical event" or history, we were forgeting that simplicity is sometimes the best!

Ok, first of all, when the played links in, they appear in a cozy hut, something along these lines: Image
And, the player will notice that when they link in, there is a journal on a table nearby. Upon picking up the journal, they will see that it is a journal from one of the age's writers (probably me :D) it will explain how the age was before they linked in, their personal observations, and what new structures have been built. (the link in hut, the lightning rods, and some new mechanics have been built by them, the yinfara temple, and the waterfall were the only origional areas [built by natives long long ago]) there will be a few hints, and clues in this journal, and perhaps, some pictures of the age before it's "renovation".

the player will eventually find themself at the waterfall, and there will be a "secret" door on the brick wall: Image
upon looking a bit closer, it becomes apparent to the player, that there is a combination on the door,and a "power bar" Image
The door is locked until the bar is full, and the combination is changed. The player then looks around the island again, and

upon noting the various "telephone poles" (actually lightning rods) and the frequent lightning storms, they return to the link in hut, and see the "power box": Image
with each press of the button, one of the lightning rods will rise, and the rest will fall. when a storm comes around, and that rod is struck by lightning, it will power up that area. The beacon on the rod will light up, and stay lit up, and the "Power bar" on the waterfall door will go up a bit. now, only one rod can be open per storm, so the player must wait for a new storm each time they try to bring energy to annother area. all areas will work the same way... execpt the Swamp, which, because of it's dampness has a lever hidden somewhere in it, that must be pulled in order for the lightning rod to be able to rise (if it wasn't there, the wires for the rod would eventually be worn out) So, the player upon seeing that the rod will not rise, go and investigate, and find the lever, pull it, and go back to the control pannel. after all the areas have power, the "Power bar" on waterfall will be full... but there's still the combination :D

This is where the yinfara temple comes in. It was originally built by natives, but the writer has made some adjustments to his advantage. The Sky is always changing color, and is doing so even though the storms (although their color is more intense) when the sky is completely one color, the sunlight or moonlight will shine though the panes in the temple, and highlight one part of the carpet (the Geode will not be in there) Image
(it may not be exacly like this, but pretty close) this will happen for the green sky, blue, purple, orange etc. and finally, the player must enter the symbols in the right order (as they saw from the temple symbols what symbol what what color) and finally, after getting the power bar full, and the right combination, the door will open (yay!:D) a room will be revealed behind it (perhaps a staircase going down to it) and there will be a large aray of artifact, journals, and genearally stuff that makes the puzzles rewarding.

The lighning, and colored sky puzzles can be done at the same time (so that the player doesn't get bored, just waiting for storms) the storyline is just the simple story of the writer of the age, and the distant artifacts left from a native people. we can add some to it (i know two puzzles may be not enough) but just, tell me what you think :D is it good? (pleese say yes, so we can begin actually making this age)
Justintime9

Previous

Return to Yinfara