A new idea

A beautiful, colorful jungle Age with many secrets. HELP WANTED!

Moderator: Justintime9

A new idea

Postby Lontahv » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:41 pm

Justin and I were talking about Yinfara a little bit on IRC when this idea popped into my head: an island very large with a small community on the shore (possibly fishing-community).

Here are the main ideas:
Big island, small-ish explorable area
Explorable area consists of: sandy beach, clearings with huts in them, light forest, dense forest.
Wandering very far into the forest is limited by river and other natural means (or at least by non-insane means).

Here's a little map a drew up just now. Yes, I know my mountain-shadows aren't the best. :P

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff23 ... ap1224.jpg

As you can see the river can only be part of the barrier. Feel free to put down your ideas for what the barrier for the non-river part should be. :)
Currently getting some ink on my hands over at the Guild Of Ink-Makers (PyPRP2).
Lontahv
Councilor of Artistic Direction

Re: A new idea

Postby Justintime9 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:13 pm

Awesome :D this is more in the direction I was originally envisioning. The unexplorable part of the forest will be restricted by dense trees, bushes, streams, and steep hills. The village underground, on the other side of the waterfall will be a backup village, sort of a "bomb shelter" of sorts.

The actual village will be in a clearing, in the explorable part of the island. The houses will be made of green bark like the link in hut, will be bigger than the link in hut, and more angular. There will be stoves, rather than camp fires, considering it's a more permanent settlement.

The explorer will be able to see the huge mountain through the trees, but due to the stream, and other restrictions, wont be able to reach the base of it. The only time the explorer will be near it, is when they get to the top of it, using the underground tunnels, and an elevator inside it :D

The explorer will not be able to see most of the shore, due to restrictions. The only shore explorable will be the beach, where the glass hut is.
Justintime9

Postby Erik » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:00 am

As I understand it, it is your idea to have people on the island? I think that's fine, but I can't see how the village can be in the explorable area. How do you make the village believable if explorers will be able to come so close to it? Isn't it better if the village is unreachable, so that explorers can see movement, but not enough so that it doesn't look fake?
Erik

Postby Justintime9 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:06 pm

Ah, I guess I shouldn't been more specific, the village will be deserted :D Which reminds me, I should really make some sketches of it...
Justintime9

Return to Yinfara